Why become a member? ×

Albums you think are crap but are critically acclaimed...

julesb

Oasis, any album i tried to like them but i never really got the hype
also Muse i tried to get into them i even bought a couple of there albums, i thought sometimes the singer sounded a bit like thom yorke and it was too technical just for the sake of it.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1484701081' post='3217708']
Radiohead for me as well. Thom Yorke's voice is an irritating whine and the music shows an utter lack of ideas.
[/quote]

I've never taken to Radiohead either. I even bought a couple of their albums to give them a fair chance but still couldn't get it.

Guest bassman7755

Bat out of hell (other than the title track which is one of the best rock songs ever written).
Maybe we need another thread of "one track wonder" albums.

Pet Sounds.

Now, I love vocal harmonies, so this goes against convention for me. I'm not knocking the vocal harmonies (which are superb) but the music and overall sound of the band. I can't abide The Beach Boys' sound. It is lame and lightweight, and the music lacks balls. There is a castrati sound to the vocals which is just too much to bear. And a lot of people say they dislike The Beach Boys, but love God Only Knows....well sir, that's the Beach Boys song I hate the most. Lovely sentiment in the lyrics, but just a cloying, sickly tune to me.

I mean no offence to fans - you'd hate a lot of stuff I like, no doubt. I justbhave a particular distaste for The Beach Boys' sound.

I love threads like this, so many people slagging stuff off I've never heard of, and now don't need to worry about that omission!

Of the ones I have heard of, I really don't think Pink Floyd have produced anything worth listening to since Syd Barrett left.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1484768615' post='3218325']
Bat out of hell (other than the title track which is one of the best rock songs ever written).
Maybe we need another thread of "one track wonder" albums.
[/quote]

Nah. Meatloaf has an awful voice, strained and tuneless. Bonnie Tyler would have done those songs so much better.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1484772816' post='3218386']
I love threads like this, so many people slagging stuff off I've never heard of, and now don't need to worry about that omission!

Of the ones I have heard of, I really don't think Pink Floyd have produced anything worth listening to since Syd Barrett left.
[/quote]

Doesn't this belong on the Syd Barrett is bollocks thread? 😃

Edited by julesb

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1484772816' post='3218386']

[/quote]

Totally disagree, thank f*ck Barrett left the band, otherwise we would not have the great albums that followed.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1484777627' post='3218450']
Totally disagree, thank f*ck Barrett left the band, otherwise we would not have the great albums that followed.
[/quote]

Obviously, I disagree, but that's the beauty of free choice, we can totally disagree about something yet still get along

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1484761779' post='3218236']
Every Kasabian album. Seriously, one ok single and they're hailed as "rock gods"??? My @rse!
[/quote]

My band mates love Kasabian and we have several of their songs in our repertoire.

I think they're dreadful.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1484777808' post='3218453']

Obviously, I disagree, but that's the beauty of free choice, we can totally disagree about something yet still get along
[/quote]

Quite a few panning Radiohead here. I used to absolutely love them, still like them a lot. It's good not everyone likes them, means the music doesn't get overplayed and you could actually get tickets to see them :) Although I was sat next to some drip who whined "this doesn't sound like the album" all the way through...

A good few bands are just getting panned here, merely because people don't like the band. That is not the point of this thread surely. There are a good number of worshipped albums that I could easily diss because I don't like the artist. The real test of this thread is for those who are actual fans of a band's or artist's work to say that a particularly well regarded album is somewhat lacking in their opinion. So, with that in mind, I like the people who produced the following works, but the albums listed are overrated IMO. As ever YMMV:

The Wall - Pink Floyd (a few good tracks but many sub par)
Zep lV - Led Zep (again some goodies, but a minority)
Close To The Edge - Yes (goes on a bit and I like prog - a lot)
Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits (not a patch on the first 3 albums)

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1484814062' post='3218607']

Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits (not a patch on the first 3 albums)
[/quote]

Very valid first point ezbass.

It is interesting to see these opinions. I'm a Dire Straits fan, but I find album 3 to be not a patch on the first two (still quite like it) and album 4 to be a much overlooked return to form. I personally think that Brothers in Arms is a victim of when it was made, with the early pushing of studio production technology, robbing the band of their earlier, organic feel. I sort of forgive it as I think there's some great playing and some great songs on it.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1484777627' post='3218450']

[/quote]

This times a million.