Why become a member? ×

Albums you think are crap but are critically acclaimed...

julesb

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1484705365' post='3217714']
Donald Fagen, The Nightfly.
Think I'm the only muso ever who doesn't like this. Those irritating 'clever' songs played
so perfectly with no soul/feel. Liked early Steely Dan stuff, but then it all ended up sounding like this.
[/quote]

It's not just me then.

I imagine every band in the world who's ever had a critically acclaimed album will find themselves in this thread. I'm going to go with anything by Rush.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1484736547' post='3217865']
Makes me wonder what critically panned albums we all love....
[/quote]

You really think a consensus could be reached on Basschat, where if there was only one person posting to a thread it would still end up as an argument?

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1484814062' post='3218607']
A good few bands are just getting panned here, merely because people don't like the band. That is not the point of this thread surely. There are a good number of worshipped albums that I could easily diss because I don't like the artist. The real test of this thread is for those who are actual fans of a band's or artist's work to say that a particularly well regarded album is somewhat lacking in their opinion.
[/quote]

Queen - A Day at the Races - first stage of their descent into dreadful crappery
Queen - News of the World - see above
Queen - Jazz - see above
Queen - The Game - see above

A trend may be emerging here.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1484966562' post='3220110']

Queen - A Day at the Races - first stage of their descent into dreadful crappery
Queen - News of the World - see above
Queen - Jazz - see above
Queen - The Game - see above

A trend may be emerging here.
[/quote]

They did rebound though albeit relatively briefly.

Queen - Flash -One of the best soundtracks ever.

Queen - The Works

Queen - A Kind of Magic

Edited by Cato

For me anyways
RHCP - Stadium Arcadium

Bought it, played it once and thought it was boring same old stuff all the way thru. Just could not get into this album at all.
On the other hand if i hear the occasional song from it on radio i enjoy it.

Weird or what ???

Dave

Primus.
I just don't get the fuss. I bought Sailing The Seas Of Cheese to see what the fuss was about... listened to it once with ever increasing incredulity, shook my head in bafflement at its popularity and put it in a drawer.
Rediscovered it a couple of years later, thought I'd see if it would do any better this time.... and, no. Les Claypool's voice was still like fingernails down a blackboard and his supposedly brilliant bass playing still just sounded sloppy. Sold it.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1485723404' post='3226192']
Primus.
I just don't get the fuss. I bought Sailing The Seas Of Cheese to see what the fuss was about... listened to it once with ever increasing incredulity, shook my head in bafflement at its popularity and put it in a drawer.
Rediscovered it a couple of years later, thought I'd see if it would do any better this time.... and, no. Les Claypool's voice was still like fingernails down a blackboard and his supposedly brilliant bass playing still just sounded sloppy. Sold it.
[/quote]

I've never got Him/Them either! And all that posing n pointing at frying-pans while wearing silly hats in the mags does nothing to amour him to me either!!!

B

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1486663646' post='3233700']
It might have been mentioned already but here goes; the debut Stone Roses album. Utter sh*te. I'm guessing the reviewers who proclaimed it to be the saviour of music were 'E'd up like all the fans.
[/quote]

+1

And, dare I say it around here, anything by Jamiroquai - especially the first album - leaves me totally cold! Synthetic, 'wannabe Stevie Wonder', funkless drivel.. and that's it's good points!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1486679238' post='3233869']
+1

And, dare I say it around here, anything by Jamiroquai - especially the first album - leaves me totally cold! Synthetic, 'wannabe Stevie Wonder', funkless drivel.. and that's it's good points!
[/quote]I'll up you a +1. Had the great misfortune to listen to the first couple of albums a while back. With the exception of the singles as described above.

In The Court Of The Crimson King. Apart from 21st Century Schizoid Man & Epitaph it's utter nonsense IMO. All their other albums (up to Thrak) I can (& do) segue up & cheerfully OD on, but not 'Court'.

Blue Oyster Cult. The three studio albums before Agents of Fortune are, in the main, quirky, angular slices of serious goodness, but AoF is just FM Rock dross.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1486719172' post='3234022']
In The Court Of The Crimson King. Apart from 21st Century Schizoid Man & Epitaph it's utter nonsense IMO. All their other albums (up to Thrak) I can (& do) segue up & cheerfully OD on, but not 'Court'.

Blue Oyster Cult. The three studio albums before Agents of Fortune are, in the main, quirky, angular slices of serious goodness, but AoF is just FM Rock dross.
[/quote]

I like most of Court of the Crimson King, but agree Agents of Fortune is forgettable pap.