Why become a member? ×

Albums you think are crap but are critically acclaimed...

julesb

Agree with everything mentioned so far plus

OK Computer, Kid A... - one paced, depressing, badly sung barrel scraping bilge
the entire output of the RHCP- one of those bands truly loathe
Appetite for Destruction - 5th rate Aerosmith (who are utter sh1te BTW) chock full of every hair metal cliche already done better by Motley Crue etc
Sergeant Pepper - tedious, sprawling and often twee
Hotel Californiaaaaaarrgh
every acclaimed Stones album - badly sung, messily played, repetitive...
Every rated U2 album - spectacularly mediocre writing and musicianship
all Led Zep - lumpen, stodgy, repetitive, plagiarised
owt by Dylan - wrote some fine tunes........performed by others

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1484815056' post='3218615']
Very valid first point ezbass.

It is interesting to see these opinions. I'm a Dire Straits fan, but I find album 3 to be not a patch on the first two (still quite like it) and album 4 to be a much overlooked return to form. I personally think that Brothers in Arms is a victim of when it was made, with the early pushing of studio production technology, robbing the band of their earlier, organic feel. I sort of forgive it as I think there's some great playing and some great songs on it.
[/quote]Communiqué remains my favourite DS album to this day, such great tunes. They've been play tracks from Making Movies on Planet Rock a lot lately and I'd forgotten how much I like it.

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew. I'd heard so much about how groundbreaking it was supposed to be, but I didn't find it very interesting to listen to.

Also Talking Heads Remain in Light. I was trying to put my finger on what wasn't working for me, and realised it was the lack of harmonic movement of [i]nearly[/i] all the tracks that I found kind of boring.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1484812717' post='3218591']
Quite a few panning Radiohead here. I used to absolutely love them, still like them a lot. It's good not everyone likes them, means the music doesn't get overplayed and you could actually get tickets to see them :) Although I was sat next to some drip who whined "this doesn't sound like the album" all the way through...
[/quote]

I don't think I have heard anything they've done.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1484814062' post='3218607']
A good few bands are just getting panned here, merely because people don't like the band. That is not the point of this thread surely. There are a good number of worshipped albums that I could easily diss because I don't like the artist. The real test of this thread is for those who are actual fans of a band's or artist's work to say that a particularly well regarded album is somewhat lacking in their opinion. So, with that in mind, I like the people who produced the following works, but the albums listed are overrated IMO. As ever YMMV:

Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits (not a patch on the first 3 albums)
[/quote] I think Brothers in Arms is the best Dire Straits album but then I'm not a fan of overblown guitar solo's

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1484822621' post='3218712']
I think Brothers in Arms is the best Dire Straits album but then I'm not a fan of overblown guitar solo's
[/quote]
Possibly sums this debate up perfectly - one man's meat etc. Last thing I would call knopfler's playing on any of the albums is overblown! (note, my suggestion was Derek & the Dominos - that's overblown)!!

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1484823608' post='3218728']
Viz Remain Light I think it's good but way behind the far superior Fear of Music
[/quote] Remain in light is a favourite... this version gives more clarity to the layers of sound... [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHVBaF0HopQ"]https://www.youtube....h?v=GHVBaF0HopQ[/url] Have to agree about anything by Muse... doesn't do anything for me.

Edited by Roo Hobbers

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1484833632' post='3218896']
I can't help wondering what all the artists mentioned in this thread would make of the music made by the (mostly) hobbyist basschatters? 😜

I do include myself here btw.
[/quote]
It isn't really a reflection on the artists though, more on those that decide something gets classic status.

Cant get my ears around Muse either though the mrs loves them. It's the histrionic vocals that turn me off though the bass work is good.

Often I'll check out a so-called classic with an open mind and ears. Occasionally I'll readily acknowledge something as being good but not my bag. More often than not I'm left thinking Wtf???!!! Most recently I gave Exile On Main Street and the first Led Zep albums each a coupla goes. All I hear, however, is sloppily played, second hand blues jams. The last album I heard which I think deserves its rep, but which isn't my thing at all, is Rumours.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1484833632' post='3218896']
I can't help wondering what all the artists mentioned in this thread would make of the music made by the (mostly) hobbyist basschatters?

I do include myself here btw.
[/quote]

Really?

I would imagine that they don't care in the slightest. The albums mentioned in this thread have all sold rather well. I'll take money in the bank over critical acclaim any day.

No matter how awesome a record you make there will always be more people in the world who don't like it than there are those who do.

If as a musician you haven't developed a thick skin to criticism, then you should probably take up something safer and less subjective instead. I stop worrying a long time ago about what other people thought of the music I was producing. I just get on make the music that I want to.