Why become a member? ×

Albums you think are crap but are critically acclaimed...

julesb

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1484687819' post='3217591']
Astral Weeks.
[/quote]
One of My all time favourites. One I often return to. Try 'slim slow slider' as an introduction. Listen a few times, have a drink, relax. Then try 'beside you' if you aren't hooked after a few listens then I accept it's not for you but at least we tried.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1484705365' post='3217714']
Donald Fagen, The Nightfly.
Think I'm the only muso ever who doesn't like this. Those irritating 'clever' songs played
so perfectly with no soul/feel. Liked early Steely Dan stuff, but then it all ended up sounding like this.
[/quote]

Agreed, music as a technical exercise.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1484710492' post='3217717']

One of My all time favourites. One I often return to. Try 'slim slow slider' as an introduction. Listen a few times, have a drink, relax. Then try 'beside you' if you aren't hooked after a few listens then I accept it's not for you but at least we tried.
[/quote]

Oh, we've tried, believe me.

Being of the opinion that the best albums only truly reveal themselves after repeated listening I have persevered.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1484705365' post='3217714']
Donald Fagen, The Nightfly.
Think I'm the only muso ever who doesn't like this. Those irritating 'clever' songs played
so perfectly with no soul/feel. Liked early Steely Dan stuff, but then it all ended up sounding like this.
[/quote]

Me too. I don't get how you have a 'supergroup' at your disposal and end up sounding like lift music from the 80s.

This is too easy. We all have stuff we don't like. Anything by, etc...
More interesting would be crap critically acclaimed albums by artists we do like.

I love the Clash but I can't stand Combat Rock. Pretend arty fartyness with Alan Ginsberg, Spliffed up Strummer songs rambling on and that bleeding Should I Stay Or Should I Go fluff.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1484730406' post='3217781']
More interesting would be crap critically acclaimed albums by artists we do like.

I love the Clash but I can't stand Combat Rock. Pretend arty fartyness with Alan Ginsberg, Spliffed up Strummer songs rambling on and that bleeding Should I Stay Or Should I Go fluff.
[/quote]

I love Ryan Adams and listen to him almost everyday, but his Cardinology album is leaden, lumpy, half arsed stoner rock. It's never good when the album of outtakes ('III/IV') is better than the actual album. I still think he's a genius though!

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1484730406' post='3217781']

[/quote]did I mention Sgt Peppers? oh yeah, and Quo's Rocking All Over the World, loved the albums before that one, then they introduced keyboards and got a 'producer' in, and he turned the bass down, bastard

Edited by PaulWarning

Lexicon of Love by ABC. I was precisely the right age (19) to be taken in by the hype on its original release but now find that Trevor Horn's production and Martin Fry's slightly strained delivery create a real barrier to me connecting with it. All style and no substance. I like music that makes me FEEL something and it's too glossy to do that for me.

Edited by Bass Culture

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1484732603' post='3217807']
Hejira by Joni Mitchell. I can't stand her voice and that faux hipster poetry. I understand intellectually how revolutionary Jaco's playing was, but it does nothing for me.

There! I've insulted two "icons" and feel no remorse.
[/quote]

Outrageous! 😃

Hejira by Joni Mitchell. I can't stand her voice and that faux hipster poetry. I understand intellectually how revolutionary Jaco's playing was, but it does nothing for me.

[/quote]

Blimey. If you think that is insulting, you need to go out more. By Basschat standards, that is real tame.
Mother Teresa could learn a thing or two from you, in the Art of being polite. :lol:

[/quote]

Yup, with you on that one. Her voice just makes me run for the mute button.
Completely understand her talent and influence, just not for me.

I dislike Frank Zappa. Far too smart and tuneless for my taste.

I happen to be in a 4 piece band with 3 Zappa fans who constantly quote lines from Zappa songs. Usually the same f%^&ing ones, every f*&^ing week. I believe there is a small possibility they do it on purpose :ph34r:

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1484736370' post='3217860']
I dislike Frank Zappa. Far too smart and tuneless for my taste.

I happen to be in a 4 piece band with 3 Zappa fans who constantly quote lines from Zappa songs. Usually the same f%^&ing ones, every f*&^ing week. I believe there is a small possibility they do it on purpose :ph34r:
[/quote]

You dislike Zappa because he was [i]too smart???[/i] You must be loving the current geopolitical shenanigans in that case...