Why become a member? ×

Upgrading from an Ampg rig

Storky

I've got the Ampeg Portafex PF-500 and PF-210HE cab which i've had for about 5 years. I've been pretty happy with it but I've now got to the point when i'm thinking about changing and upgrading. I'd welcome any suggestions. I'm unsure on speaker size and combination (- bit of a heathen when it comes to amplification) I'm looking to sell the Ampeg rig (any idea on value?) and add some cash to take the purchase price between £1,000 and £1,500.

I Play Rock n' Roll, Country, Jazz, Classic Rock - quite a variety with different bands. I'm looking for a full tone with a tight bottom end and I play finger style. I like the current rig, but it would be good if I could get a bigger, more punchy sound from a lighter set up; I'm hoping that adding more £ together with recent improvements in technology might do this for me, what do you think?

Guest bassman7755

Well the options are vast. Cab configuration wise I'd say a 2x12 or two 1x12s is a good starting point, the former will be cheaper (given the same calibre of cab) but the latter gives you the option of only taking one small and light cab to rehearsals and less demanding gigs. Any of the premium brands talked about on here will be great e.g. Epifani, Barefaced, Markbass, Bergantino, TKS etc seriously if your not getting a great sound from any cab of this calibre, the problem isn't the cab.

Amp wise well it really is wide open, but since your looking to cover a wide spectrum of styles you should look at something versatile maybe even a modelling amp like the markbass multiamp. The TC RH that I use is a great ampeg-a-like but would suck for country, ditto for other highly opinionated amps such as the orange terror. Another approach would be to get a good clean sounding amp (say a markbass) and use a drive pedal to add some rock and roll to the sound when needed.

[quote name='dave74200' timestamp='1484670809' post='3217362']
I'd recommend a Barefaced cab and keep your current head. I've never tried a pf but they get good reviews. I have a super twin and every head I've put through it sounds monstrous.
[/quote]

At the moment you're not making the most of your pf500 as it's running into an 8-ohm cab. Replacing your 210 with an efficient 4 ohm 2x12 will give you more of everything.. I also use a bf super twin and it's great for what I do.. running around £600 secondhand. Bergatino are also worth looking at, as are Fearless cabs.. all about the same weight as your current cab..

I think if your happy with your amp then as others suggest just a cab change to something with more kick might be a good option.
A 4 ohm 2x12 or as already said maybe two separate 8 ohm 12s.
You may find that just the cab change is enough of a change up and if its not then look into a new amp too.

I had the 115 version of your rig and simply swapped out the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Ampeg Portafex PF-500 for the 50T. It's a great rig but made better with the all tube head. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It isn't clear reading this why you want to change, beyond having some cash to put into it? The Portaflex stuff is good standard stuff and if you like it...[/font][/color]

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1484680413' post='3217468']
I had the 115 version of your rig and simply swapped out the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Ampeg Portafex PF-500 for the 50T...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Slightly OT here, apologies - quick question - I know that valve watts are subjectively 'louder' than SS watts, but did you find the PF50T quieter overall than the PF500? Were you able to play the same gigs with the 50T that you did with the PF500?

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1484736779' post='3217868']
My poor work computer won't let me quote Discreet but in answer to your question, easily!
[/quote]

Thanks! Maybe I'll take the plunge and get one from Thomann... in which case I can return it if necessary. :)

Edited by discreet

I don't know how the Ampeg amp will work with the Markbass cab but in comparison to OP's current cab, that amp used with the Bergantino HD210 on Bassdirect would be a 1000% improvement. A 210 from Barefaced should be another level of improvement and, in comparison to the Ampeg 210, a 212 from Barefaced would be a quantum leap of improvement in volume and tone.

I went from Ampeg SVT4 Pro to the Markbass 12" combo & ext cab. I loved the tone of SVT but its a bit on heavy side. Markbass rig is light and easy to carry, has a reasonably warm sound for a Class D and to me sounded more like the Ampeg than other lightweight amps i've had or tried.
I did try out a Markbass 4x10 cab with their Nano Mark using a Precision deluxe and the tone was very impressive, very full, rich and loud if needed.

Try looking at Musik-Produktiv website for some pretty good Markbass prices.

2nd hand Genz Streamliner is a nice little head with tube pre-amp.

Good luck with search.

Dave

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1484686619' post='3217572']
Slightly OT here, apologies - quick question - I know that valve watts are subjectively 'louder' than SS watts, but did you find the PF50T quieter overall than the PF500? Were you able to play the same gigs with the 50T that you did with the PF500?
[/quote]No he is is just vacuum trolling.

On a serious side the answer is still no.