Why become a member? ×

Is there a reason for the apparent dislike for active basses...

Rocker

had a stingray never really got on with it now got a P I use a Zoom unit to get different sounds for different songs, it's more flexible than an active bass and easier to change the tone, never seen an active yet where you can get a passable Lemmy tone :), but each to their own

I like both :-)

I have 3 basses
P (passive). It's nice only having to touch the single tone control
EBMM (active, 2EQ). It's nice only having to touch a single tone control (I always leave bass on full and adjust treble)
Sire MM v7 (active, millions of knobs). Nice but slightly complicated preamp e.g. it has a sweepable mid!. There is a proper active/passive switch which helps, also all the knobs have a detente in the middle.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1484650812' post='3217120']
had a stingray never really got on with it now got a P I use a Zoom unit to get different sounds for different songs, it's more flexible than an active bass and easier to change the tone, never seen an active yet where you can get a passable Lemmy tone :), but each to their own
[/quote]

Dime the mids on my East pre on any bass I have, and it'll drive the amp pre into that one. There you go. :D

Edited by Muzz

Out of seven basses I own only one is passive, my double bass that's got a mag pickup that goes straight to a Fishman preamp. I just don't get on with passive at all, I think it's about the combination of bass and amp, my Heftless class D rigs don't suit passive basses and maybe a nice vintage valve amp works better with a bass designed in the same century :)

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1484643369' post='3217019']
I prefer active. Less noise, more flexible - funny when people say there's too many knobs and it's confusing... if you can work a toaster you can learn the controls on a bass guitar :)
[/quote]

Toasters are the work of the devil.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1484640287' post='3216985']
Learned on a passive bass, if it was good enough for Jaco...
then...
Oooh look at this new thing, some people on this forum say this thing is amazing I must sell off all my basses to have just active basses...
then...
Don't like active basses - not for me, going back to simple passive 4 strings, leo got it right...
then...
Ooh look a 5th string, some people on a forum say I should try it. I'm going to sell all my 4 strings and replace them with 5 - they mostly are active
then...
ooh look new bells and whistles preamps from East/ACG/Aguilar/Glockenklang/Ebay, people rave about these, I'm going to fit them on all my basses
then...
Don't like active basses - not for me, going back to simple passive 4 strings, leo got it right...

repeat ad infinitum ....
[/quote]Awesomely spot on!

I've never played an active bass, perfectly happy with my passive basses as they so see no need to change. Some people seem to spend their whole lives looking for a better this or better that. Personally, I'd rather just get on with playing.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1484681706' post='3217485']
I've never played an active bass, perfectly happy with my passive basses as they so see no need to change. Some people seem to spend their whole lives looking for a better this or better that. Personally, I'd rather just get on with playing.
[/quote]

How many Jazz basses have you bought and sold ? 😁

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1484682064' post='3217492']
But clearly at some point you were looking for a better this or that.. indeed from your posts this was quite recent ,
[/quote]

Not really looking for anything, just easily seduced by music shops! The last [s]two[/s] three jazz basses have been bought when I have been coming back form fairly unpleasant hospital appointments and needed cheering up. Hopefully, I'll remember that a P bass is better at that than a J. And a good bottle of Scotch is both better and cheaper than either!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1484682279' post='3217496']

Not really looking for anything, just easily seduced by music shops! The last [s]two[/s] three jazz basses have been bought when I have been coming back form fairly unpleasant hospital appointments and needed cheering up. Hopefully, I'll remember that a P bass is better at that than a J. And a good bottle of Scotch is both better and cheaper than either!
[/quote]

I'm teasing.. but of course we're all looking for something better. It's just a matter of degree..

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1484682279' post='3217496']

[/quote]

I'm teasing.. but of course we're all looking for something better. It's just a matter of degree..

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1484682570' post='3217502']
[/quote]

I keep ending up where I started, though! I am really hoping that in 2017, I will finally learn to stop looking and realise I have had it all the time.

Some bloody hope!! :) :)

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1484678715' post='3217452']
I've just explained to an old friend of mine how complex the procedure for changing a battery is on a bass. He was astounded and said he'd defo be sticking with the much easier science of rockets.
[/quote]

Open cover, take out battery, put in battery, close cover.
Pretty complicated yes, next weeks lesson is putting on trousers :D

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1484638035' post='3216967']
1. Personal preference again.

2. What about different styles of music?

3. What about the £3 patch cable on your pedalboard or kettle lead? The wire from the pickup to the Jack? There are so many cheap parts in a signal chain it's amazing anything works :-D

[/quote]

1. Yes, my preference.

2. I'm afraid I don't understand this fully. If I need a different sound; 1) I change the way I play the bass. 2) I change the tone control 3) I (very rarely) change something on the amp.

It really is all in the fingers. I know from experience that I end up making minute adjustments to the bass boost or whatever when really I should just be listening and adjusting my touch. I have become a better player as a result of this.

3. Yes fair point, but if you take care of the cables they will last. A battery wil definitely fail at some point. In my experience cables don't fail all too often. I replace them when they look tired. I double on upright a lot and play multiple nights in the same theatres. I don't have to unplug my bass, or rather if I forget, no big deal. The only technical issue we ever encounter with any frequency is the battery of the acoustic guitar preamp dying mid gig. Thankfully the main man has swapped out that active preamp to a passive one recently.

And there's distortion with most of the 9v preamps, which I don't like the sound of. Sure there's some loss with the lack of an active buffer on passive basses when connected to a long cable.

However, the case in point is Scott Devine's active buffer equipped Overwater P bass. I find it sounds too toppy and clean for me. I prefer the sound of his other passive P basses. Again, my opinion. Sometimes 'better' from a technical standpoint, isn't.

I just like the sound and response of passive basses.

Edited by Jazzjames

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1484690034' post='3217620']

... However the case in point is Scott Devine's active buffer equipped Overwater P bass. I find it sounds too toppy and clean for me. Again, my opinion. Sometimes 'better' from a technical standpoint, isn't. I just like the sound and response of passive basses.
[/quote]

Scott's Over watter has a battery compartment at Chris's insistence just in case Scott changes his mind about having the bass passive. In fact Scott's Overwater is passive even if the Scott Divine signature bass may be active.

I know about this because Scott talked about this in the Academy.

Is there really a dislike of active basses? As I said earlier, I haven't used one, but I don't dislike them, or avoid them, I just am happy enough with my passive basses. The idea of an active bass has, frankly, never occurred to me. I certainly wouldn't claim that my passive Fenders are any better, and are hardly groundbreaking designs, but I am used to them.