Why become a member? ×

Fender 1978 PJ in Antigua finish - is this real?

Romeo2

I know a guy who owns this bass, he is interested in selling it. I wanted to find out how much a bass like this is worth (obviously anything is worth as much as people want to pay ...) but I can't find this to be a production model.

Anyway, some pics to give you an idea:

[attachment=236028:FENDER PJ 78 BODY.jpg]

[attachment=236029:FENDER PJ 78 HEADSTOCK.jpg]

Did they do PJs in 1978?

It does have the usual dings and scratches, and if they did not do PJs in 1978 (as I suspect as I couldn't find an example online) then it's been modded. I am told it's had luthier treatment so plays really well.

What are your thoughts? Is this all original, or modded? How much could this be worth, roughly?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Romeo2

re pickup - I am afraid I don't know, the guy who owns doe snot know neither, and is not technical enough to find out (ie don't let him hold a screwdriver or something gets broken...)

serial number indicates 1977-78, when the luthier had it he told him it is deffo 1978 so he must have had a look at neck stamp or whatever else indicates that - no photos of the bass taken apart neither

The Antigua finish was pretty focussed with regards to years of production, mostly '78 and I think some very early '79.
As previously mentioned, missing the correct pick guard, and it's modded with a Jazz pickup of unknown origin.
So yeah, probably around £800 if it's nice playing/sounding and not too heavy.

Si

Thanks guys - you've confirmed my doubts/assumptions. Although I thought it would be more around £1-1.2k mark. The bass is not near me to check it out but once I get my paws on it, well, you never know, it may join the herd one day (especially that now I may be able to negotiate a much lower price than expected).

That's not a Fender J pickup, or any sort of standard J-type - so unless you did additional routing you couldn't put a different/better pickup in it.

With the adjusting screws evidently at the ends, this looks like the sort used on some Aria J copies from the 70s.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1484610063' post='3216896']
That's not a Fender J pickup, or any sort of standard J-type - so unless you did additional routing you couldn't put a different/better pickup in it.

With the adjusting screws evidently at the ends, this looks like the sort used on some Aria J copies from the 70s.
[/quote]

Well spotted!
Zooming in, it does look strange, the overhang on one side etc.
Might be able to be modified by a luthier to fit a standard J replacement shape, but who knows.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1484637507' post='3216963']
Well spotted!
Zooming in, it does look strange, the overhang on one side etc.
Might be able to be modified by a luthier to fit a standard J replacement shape, but who knows.

Si
[/quote]

Just had another look & I think I'm wrong - I think it's a standard J pup bobbin minus the cover, with a screw stuck through each end. Upscaled the pic to make it a bit clearer:

[url="http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/LanterneRouge/media/Various%20Basses%20and%20Guitars/antigua%20P%20with%20odd%20J%20pup_zpsedlknzti.jpg.html"][/url]

It's not one of them Aria thingys - they had rounded ends.

Are we absolutely sure this is an Antigua?

Hmm, it does look like an antigua, especially with the serial number confirming year of production when US antiguas were made. Bass is at present owned by bass player of Pogodno, they have this mannequin challenge (wtf is that about anyway?) video on their fb, hopefully I can link it here so you can get a glimpse of it although not much better than the photo I posted earlier:

http://www.facebook.com/pogodno/videos/10154976951359050/

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1484690896' post='3217635']
It's 100% an Antigua.
[/quote]
Happy to accept the verdict of an expert - which I'm not!

Only wondered because looking at a larger image of the J pup, the route looks very clean indeed - and from the appearance of the top r/h corner, looks like it's painted inside. Sort of looks manufactured.

Romeo2 - any chance of clearer, bigger pics?

Sorry, no better pics available, he may be a decent bass player but a terrible photographer :D

I'll take some pics myself when I get a chance, and I am now quite intrigued as to how that J pickup got installed and what it is.

I was told that apparently the bass made its way from the US to Poland some time in the 90s with some reggae band, dudes got so relaxed post-gigging that they almost missed their flight back and in the rush to the airport left the bass behind. It seems it's been passed around the Warsaw music scene until it landed in the home studio of the keyboard player of the band I mentioned.