Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray 5HH USA - SOLD!!!
£1100

lee650

For sale is my amazing Musicman Stingray 5HH in honeyburst with rosewood fretboard.
Its a very classy looking ray with the now discontinued Honeyburst finish . It also features a tort guard on a ash body and a lovely rosewood board on a very comfy oiled maple neck.currently strung with DR high Beams.

It weighs 4.9kg / 10.8lbs,(this was the weight given by the previous owner,but it does not feel really heavy with a decent strap) with a string spacing of 17.5mm, It has a low action and being the HH model it's ridiculously versatile. There is a small chip in the rear by the strap pin, other than that it's in really really good condition.

This StingRay 5 HH was completed on March 28th 2006
Its been very well looked after as the condition is superb for an 11 year old bass.

To be clear this double humbucker version is slightly different to the modern versions as the pickups are ceramic and wired in series (louder with more bass and low mids)as per the Sterling 5HH, in practice this gives the bass a much much warmer and punchy tone (very P bass like on the front pickup) while still exhibiting the stingray bounce. The mixture of the different pickups gives a great array of tones, and with both pickups on its like a really beefy jazz but with Musicman characteristics. Ive used this for various theatre gigs as well as functions and original material and ive found the tone more useful than other rays ive had in the past.

link to Musicman page, showing the coil positions for this bass

[url="https://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/sterling-5"]https://www.music-ma...sses/sterling-5[/url]

It also had a great demo of the sterling 5hh which has the same pickups as this by Ed Friedland.

It does come with the OHSC. I will be wanting a firm £1025 delivered with insurance,which is cheaper than similar HH or H ray 5's that have sold on here recently(I will do £1000 if you'd like to collect from sunny Morecambe) I do not wish to post this overseas.

cheers 😀

NOW SOLD!!!

Edited by lee650

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cut through the mix with the aggressive, punchy and warm sound (lots of nice mids)of a sterling,with the more elegant look of a stingray. Have your cake and eat it 😀

Edited by lee650

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='peterkas' timestamp='1490435738' post='3265099']
I had a bass exactly like yours. It's a stunning bass machine: confortable, with a wide collection of sounds...And the price, my friend, it's absolutely a burgain

Good luck
[/quote]

Thanks loads you're absolutely right it's a great bass and only selling as I have Overwater gas! I may just keep it as I'd not get a better bass for the money. Musicman basses are do well made and sound fantastic (they are very expensive new too)😁

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1490434728' post='3265094']
So what's holding you all back from this fantastic bass? [...]
[/quote]

Living overseas and the weight, aside from that, it is a belter! ;)

Edited by Dudly01

[quote name='Dudly01' timestamp='1490485165' post='3265500']

Living overseas and the weight, aside from that, it is a belter! ;)
[/quote]

I hear you! Weight does seem heavy on paper, however ive never found it heavy as I use a comfort strap which is good at holding the weight. I got the weight from the previous owner,so it might be worth me rechecking! 10lbs plus is usually typical of a stingray 5 though, the price you pay for the huge sound :)
And yeah I know the overseas thing will limit my market, but I worry enough about delivery to the uk

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Bump, I may part trade this for a 5 string bass of LESSER!!!! Value and cash my way(pref a yamaha TRBor BB). Please as per the ad I really do not want to post this overseas :)

Edited by lee650

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys :)
I do believe this is a very good price for a full blown USA ray, in pretty much as new condition. A lot of other ray 5's have gone for more money recently. I have received a lot of interest in the form of low ball offer from abroad,some of which have been ridiculous!

i would consider part trades for a 5 string with cash my way. I may even consider a trade for a ray 5H

Edited by lee650

• 4 weeks later...

Seriously thinking of just keeping this! other ray 5's selling steadily and this sitting here for ages :(
I'm not desperate to sell though,so won't take daft offers.

Still may consider trades :)

Edited by lee650

If this is the bass I played when I purchased the cab from Lee (I think it is) then I can testify to its playability, tone and build. It's a great instrument. I had to very much show some restraint when Lee tried to flog it to me! I don't know what's better, Lee's playing, his basses or his personality, they're all great. Deal with confidence with Lee. Can't believe this hasn't gone yet!

Aww thanks for the kind words Dave, I appreciate it :)

don't know whether it's the weight or series wiring that's put people off! But this ray isn't heavy and has the typical Musicman tone,just with a lot more balls!! It's priced less than every other ray 5 that's sold on here,so I won't be taking offers!

I did withdraw it for a while as i thought about keeping it,but my Jazz and P are getting all the gigs (the few I'm doing) right now :)

Edited by lee650