Why become a member? ×

Fave Deep Purple Song?

Billy Apple

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1484516938' post='3216088']
Different of course. All three had a lot to offer. Hughes impresses me most.
[/quote]

I think Hughes has the most talent, but the least earthiness or soul or whatever you want to call it.

Watching GH play here is a joy..

[media]http://youtu.be/t4fDCwDiWJQ[/media]

Boring choice but black night and smoke on the water.
I don't know the full deep purple catalogue admittedly. But imo those two songs have stood the test of time better than some of there other stuff. I'm not saying there better, I just think much of there work now sounds a tad dated dare I say.

And who doesn't like playing black night, its one of those that is simple to play but totally satisfying when you really nail it with playing and tone.

I'm very partial to Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming by the current line up at the moment. However, the live version of Highway Star on Made In Japan always scores highly with me, it's the quintessential version in my view.

Grew up with In Rock and Machine Head but my faves are: Woman From Tokyo, Might Just Take Your Life and Perfect Strangers which is the track Page and Plant would have killed for to have on Walking Into Clarksdale or whatever their album was called (and I speak as a Zep-head).

[quote name='Agwin' timestamp='1484567732' post='3216328']
Too many to choose – plus it depends on mood/day/weather etc but Highway Star (Made in Japan), Burn (Made in Europe) and Speed King are always jostling for position.
[/quote]

Ah Yes Speed King. Many years ago a school friend introduced me to hard rock with Purples 'Deep purple in Rock'. First song side one is Speed King and that 5 minutes of gut kicking rock just floored me. In a way it kinda changed my life, as Rock music became and continues to be.

• Like 1