Why become a member? ×

P-Bass Righty/Lefty Abomination

James Nada

I thought I'd share a pic of my back up bass, if only to the incite some caustic reactions :)
It's a left handed body (a Hondo, I think) with a nice Squier VM Tele Bass neck, all set up to play right handed.
The pickups are wired straight to jack, which has been relocated to a position 'under' the strap button.
Yes, it makes no sense to have done this, but it's fun.

[IMG]http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww127/badgerpigdog/IMG_20170114_115110246.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww127/badgerpigdog/IMG_20170114_115132097.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by James Nada

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1484408929' post='3215282']
This doesn't worry me nearly as much as I thought it would. I bet if you get a scratch plate without the holes for the pots it would look kinda stylish!

No getting to the upper frets, though. :P
[/quote]

Why on earth would I want to play the upper frets? 😂😂

Seriously though, the access is similar to a Thunderbird, and (some) people don't mind them.

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1484408929' post='3215282']
This doesn't worry me nearly as much as I thought it would. I bet if you get a scratch plate without the holes for the pots it would look kinda stylish!

No getting to the upper frets, though. :P
[/quote]

I do plan on getting a new scratch plate (in tort, so I have the same black/tort scheme as my 'proper' P bass) so I might do that.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1484439343' post='3215538']
Does it suffer from neck-dive? It looks as if it should :)
[/quote]
It should, and it does. But I dont mind a bit of neck-dive, I just don't let go of it.
One of the unexpected pluses of the bass is that, because of the top horn, when playing sitting down it sits very nicely.

Edited by James Nada

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1484480361' post='3215692']
Just bang a nail in the neck to hang the strap off ? :D
[/quote]

This does actually work, but drill out the strap button screw hole - 6mm drill - and cut the point off a six-inch nail, spray it with Hammerite, it fits neatly.

If you need to sell the body, 6mm dowels are easy to get and the new button covers the plug :)

Hmm. I've been gassing for an Epi Tbird for a while... :P

Edited by alyctes