Why become a member? ×

"That" album where you know every word, note, solo, drum beat in your head.

leschirons

We probably all have one or two. An album where you know every word, bass note, guitar / keyboard part and drum beat so intimately that you can play the whole album in your head, in the correct track order.

Mine it seems are Hemispheres by Rush and Deja Vu by CSN&Y

Be interested to hear what others' are.

Yes....Close to the Edge. I played my original copy, when it first came out, so much I literally wore it out and had to buy another. I know every beat,every note and every lyric by heart. I bought the CD version when it was released but bought another vinyl copy a couple of years ago. Vinyl still sounds better than the CD on a decent system. If I could only own one album for the rest of my life it would be Close to the Edge, without a doubt.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1484252857' post='3214112']
No, not for me, but so many Bacharach & David songs where I can pick out all the string, horn and backing vocal arrangements. Odd one I know!
[/quote]

Not odd at all. They were two of the greatest writers of the day. I'm with you here.

I think it takes a long time to get to know an album that well, plus it has to be one from the days when you didn't have that many in the first place so that you weren't distracted by others.

Mine would be:

Parachute by The Pretty Things (1970)
Doot-Doot by Freur (1983)
Give Up by The Postal Service - except for the last track which is rubbish and therefore I never listen to it (2003)

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1484250943' post='3214085']
Yes....Close to the Edge. I played my original copy, when it first came out, so much I literally wore it out and had to buy another. I know every beat,every note and every lyric by heart.
[...]
If I could only own one album for the rest of my life it would be Close to the Edge, without a doubt.
[/quote]

This, but remove the lyrics part and add a few vinyl copies because they got worn out.
And yes, without any doubt. Album of my life (not necessarily the one I feel is best).

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1484253087' post='3214118']
Revolver - The Beatles.

I swear I could hear the start of Taxman, go for a (whatever is is....) 35 min walk and come back in with some 'It is not dying"-s in sync with the end of the album :)
[/quote]

This + Ziggy Stardust + Aladdin Sane

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1484252628' post='3214109']
I'm thinking I may not be alone with:

Stop Talking Sense - Talking Heads
[/quote]

Pah! You can't even remember the title :P

Stop Making Sense.

Mine would have to be, Disintegration by The Cure
The Real Thing by Faith No More
and Substance by Joy Division
among many others.

So many have occupied that bit of mental shelf over the years - Nevermind, Fire of Unknown Origin, LZ IV, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Five Miles Out, Sgt Pepper's, No Fuel Left for the Pilgrims, Psychomodo, Astro Creep 2000...

(Smashie and Nicey voice)

...and many more!

but then, I do tend to hammer certain LPs to death before moving on. I got reminded of the existence of Vision Thing the other week after not hearing it for probably the thick end of 20 years, downloaded it for the car for a long drive and knew EVERY word.*

*except for one misheard one which I now prefer to the actual one.