Why become a member? ×

"That" album where you know every word, note, solo, drum beat in your head.

leschirons

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1484261644' post='3214243']
Pah! You can't even remember the title :P

Stop Making Sense.

Mine would have to be, Disintegration by The Cure
The Real Thing by Faith No More
and Substance by Joy Division
among many others.
[/quote]

Thanks for pointing that out - amended.

I need to get out of the habit of speed reading.

Probably most of the albums I had when I was growing up. As I didn't have that many, they were played repeatably. So lots of Rush, Joni Mitchell, Pink Floyd, a bit of Weather Report and Al Di Meola. Not heard Pink Floyd's Wall in a long time or thought about it. I wonder if it is still in there?

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1484293273' post='3214348']
Blood sugar sex magic, although I've heard it so much I can't stand to listen to it anymore...l.
[/quote]

But I never get tired of it... takes me back to my misspent youth... had a mate who was the first one of our crowd to buy his own car, and a copy of this al um was left in the car stereo! It was probably 4 years after I had heard it for the first time, and has stuck with me ever since. It's one of the few albums you can listen to end to end without skipping a song.... except "they're red hot"...

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1484250452' post='3214077']
We probably all have one or two. An album where you know every word, bass note, guitar / keyboard part and drum beat so intimately that you can play the whole album in your head, in the correct track order.

Mine it seems are Hemispheres by Rush and Deja Vu by CSN&Y

Be interested to hear what others' are.
[/quote]
Not even my own 😞

Who's Next. Not my favourite album but my first. Loved everything about it. Still feel it's their best album and Glyn Johns's production gives it that warm vinyl sound. All the other 70s albums mentioned so far are ones I've owned and dug. Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge - that trio still amazing. CSN&Y Deja Vu (how great a line is Crosby singing: "Almost cut my hair"). Hejira and Hissing - my fave Joni. Rush - had them all. Sabbath 4 - Wheels Of Confusion - fantastic. Foxtrot: "Dragons commming out of the sea" (only Gabriel sings 'coming' as 'commming'). Plus Zep - the band I loved more than any other. 23rd May 1975, Earl's Court. My first ever gig. Never bettered.
Sorry for going on. Thanks for indulging.

Edited by Kitsto

Fables Of The Reconstruction - REM. Still my call for best REM album.
Remain In Light - Talking Heads.
I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight - Richard and Linda Thompson.

I used to know the Space Ritual inside out, but not any more.

I have loads of these to the point where, if I hear a track out of context, I expect the next track I hear to be the next one on the LP.

I think that the 70s link is obvious. We all valued music a lot more highly in those days but we also had infinitely less access to massive amounts of recorded music so listened to the fewer Lps we had far more intently. Now, with Spotify and YouTube, people can listen to almost anything at anytime without paying a penny. This has to be a good thing but you lose the intimacy you get from knowing your collection of 20 LPs inside out.

Another Close To The Edge, Greenslade Time and Tide, Al DiMeola Land of the Midnight Sun, Brand X Product, Bruford Feels Good to Me, Genesis Seconds Out. The list is massive.

David Bowie - Aladdin Sane.

It helped having the lyrics on the inner sleeve (with the exception of Let's Spend the Night Together). One of the few albums that I still listen to from start to finish these days.

Definitely "that" album for me...

Edited by Old Man Riva

As many have already said, when you only have a few carefully selected albums on vinyl, and John Peel, then they get listened to properly, you exist with them rather than having them. It's when I hear the opening of the next track in my head as the previous one is finishing. Mine are pretty much anything I bought before 1982, including:

Diamond Dogs and Ziggy Stardust, Bowie
Sheer Heart Attack, Queen
Fragile, Yes
Quiet Life, Japan
Hejira, Joni Mitchell
Fear of Music, Talking Heads
Playing the Fool, Gentle Giant