Why become a member? ×

Multi Effects

aj5string

So... I've decided to move on my single pedals on my pedal board, and want to move to a multi effects unit. I appreciate the advantages a d disadvantages of both, but given my current gigging situations, think it will work well for me.

I'm looking for thoughts/advice on what unit to go for. The zoom b3 looks good, and the kind of thing I'm looking for, but I'm wondering if people had any experience with newer/more expensive units? I will use an amp sim on it, but compressors, filter, octave, fuzz and an overdrive are my initial uses effects wise.

A lot depends on whether you want modelling or not. The B3 is a great unit, but limited to 'only' 3 effects at once.

I'm currently using a Pod HD 500x, I do use the modelling, but the effects are great as well. You can pick up one second hand for around £250. Factor in buying the bass amp models (it is well worth it!). It's a really good piece of kit.

There's the Boss GT6 or 10B which are supposed to be better effects units, never tried either, so can't comment on them.

The newer units like the Axe-fx, Kemper or Helix are big bucks, you'd have to be serious about multi-fx and modelling to go with any of them.

Ive got a zoom b3 and in all honesty its absolutely brilliant. For the money i think its crazy value for money.

Its very easy to use, and i love how it can be used as 3 effects boxes at once.

The amp modelling is superb without sounding different for the sake of it.

The effects are very good and have plenty of scope for adjustment.

In a loud live environment everything works great and sounds great.

Throw in a looper and tuner, and for the money its unbeatable.

I've got a and a Zoom B1on I'm pleased with for around £45, I just use it for a overdrive and EQ, but have never had individual pedals so can't compare
there's loads more info on it here https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_B1on_B1Xon_FX-list_100.pdf

Edited by PaulWarning

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst I have the bass flyrig, GT-10b and the Zoom B3, I would say the POD 500x is by far and away the best.

It excels for drives, comps and EQ's. The octave is the best modelled octave down I've tried. The modulation's are great, as are the verbs and delays. Even the synth effects are pretty usable with a bit of tweaking. It did take me a good while to dial in the filters how I liked. I would also say the Bass model pack is essential too and very good.

I'm consistently surprised how quickly I can get the sound I'm after using the Edit software, and with a bit of practice how close you can get to the real thing when A/B'd

The Flyrig is great for is portability. I can cover most things with this pedal alone.

The GT-10b is a phenomenaly powerful effects processor. If you need to be able to control multiple effects and assign things all over the place it's the one for you. It's tweakability is unparalleled.

The Zoom B3 is amazing for the money. It has top class modelling and effects. E.g. It has my 2nd favourite octave model (after the 500x) and the synths rival the classics. But I do find it a little clunky in terms of usuabillity on a gig - switching between patches and individual effects is a bit tap dancy.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for my first effects pedal. Not looking to spend big so was looking at the VOX SL1B 1B Amplifier Multi Effect Bass Stomplab Pedal. Anyone have experience of one of these?
My new band is playing Time is Running Out by Muse and Royal Blood's Figure it Out so need the pedal for these songs.
Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Stamford' timestamp='1488102515' post='3245760']
I'm looking for my first effects pedal. Not looking to spend big so was looking at the VOX SL1B 1B Amplifier Multi Effect Bass Stomplab Pedal. Anyone have experience of one of these?
My new band is playing Time is Running Out by Muse and Royal Blood's Figure it Out so need the pedal for these songs.
Thanks
[/quote]

I had the vox multi effect a while back and returned it to the shop. I personally found it completely unusable and it is tiny!!! This is my personal view but I do think you'd find better value with a zoom or even a second hand zoom. Try before you buy if spending in something new or buy from somewhere with a good returns policy.

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1484253725' post='3214133']
I wouldn't be without my Boss ME50B. Just like a load of Boss pedals stuck together. Good old fashioned buttons and knobs and no complicated programming.
[/quote]

+1 for the Boss ME-50B! Had mine for about 12 years. Good selection of sounds and features. It's built like a tank too!