Why become a member? ×

Pretty bass in a rock band?

Guest MoJo

Id go for whatever suits you to play Mojo. You are a great player and i know you have suffered with back and hand issues when playing so comfort and enjoyment comes way before looks. If you were in a specific tribute band then that maybe different. As you know i have been ribbed about getting a ric but as we move more away from Jam songs thats becoming less of an issue. 😀

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1484230264' post='3213761']
Depends how seriously you take 'the look' and whether you think it matters to the audience you usually play too.

Perhaps not an entirely relevant anecdote, but I recently watched a video of a blues trio. The music was great, the singer and guitarist is a young guy dressed normal and playing a Les Paul. I'm sure the bass player was fantastic, but he was playing a modern looking six string and it just jarred! Looked wrong and I thought the same thing every time the bass came into the shot. Didn't change the music though, so how important is look?
[/quote]

Its a 6er Shuker... and it won't be a problem any more, he (the bass player - he's a killer one at that, he's from round my way) has announced that he is moving on to new pastures.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1484230740' post='3213765']
I was kind of hoping you'd be asking if you should use a bright pink Danelectro Longhorn with a Hello Kitty picture on it..
[/quote]

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1484231045' post='3213767']
I want one!
[/quote]

Is this close enough?

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC03107.jpg[/IMG]

Clearly pink [corrected: Hello Kitty livery] is for guitarists only...

Back on topic. I can only recall two particular gigs where I didn't bring/play my Wal and they were both 60s theme gigs. Took my non-60s-authentic bitsa Jazz instead just because that night I decided I would go with a more period look. But that was my whim not and feeling of pressure/appropriateness.

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1484242769' post='3213938']
Clearly pink is for guitarists only...
[/quote]

You're [i]so[/i] wrong...

[url="http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/LanterneRouge/media/Rickenfakers/rv4-01_zps2yzkaxow.jpg.html"][/url]

I don't think it matters a huge amount when gigging. It can definitely make a difference at auditions.

I'd generally be tempted to take something 'traditional' looking for any audition because a lot of people out there have an immediate bias to some brands and, more importantly, a huge dislike to anything out of the ordinary.

When it comes to the gig I just take whatever is my favourite bass at the time. Sometimes I'll deliberately take an 'inappropriate' bass though. There's quite a rough venue we sometimes play and I usually take a pink bass there, either that or a gold metal flake finish one :)

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1484216527' post='3213547']
My issue is that I also play in a 'Classic Rock' covers band and as yet, have restrained from introducing them to the Ibanez, purely because I don't think that the 'fancy woods' look looks right in a rock band. I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts
[/quote]

I will only play basses with fancy woods in rock bands. Those painted things look crap.