Why become a member? ×

Best of British

Mykesbass

Yesterday I bought a pair of Purple Chili cabs from Spencer.b off here. Had one before, but could never get a second, so sold my original one and moved on to a pair of the very nice, but not quite so wonderful, Fender Rumbles. So glad to be back with my preferred cab.

Then I realised, along with a recent guitar amp purchase, I've now got the start of a great collection of British made kit:

Shuker bass
Purple Chili cabs
Gordon Smith guitar
Award Session amp

This was nothing intentional, just seems to be all my favourite kit (barring a US Carvin amp) happens to be made in the UK.

Anyone else have a preference?

Oh yes, I realise :useless: so will post some at the weekend.

I've never played a Wal myself but my favourite ever bass tone was crafted with one (an old JG model I think).

I actually bought a Gordon-Smith guitar blind a year ago, partly because one of my old heroes, Pete Shelley, used to play them. Unfortunately I quite detested the neck and found the tone very uninspiring as well. Not much later I managed to score another guitar (a Hamer) which is absolutely immaculate, and I still haven't been able to shift the Gordon-Smith without making a significant loss (I thought the price was reasonable when I bought it, but that might've been the GAS thinking for me), so now I'm just angry whenever I see it. It was a fairly new build (2005, still made in the Manchester workshop at that point though), so I'm still hoping that if I find an older one at some point, and I have the chance to try it out, it might redeem them in my eyes.

Edited by ZilchWoolham

I firmly believe that we are blessed with some of the best luthiers in the world on this side of the pond. Status, GB, Overwater, ACG and our own Andy Rogers to name just a few. All will build you basses that out perform their US counterparts at competitive prices.

You might also note how Trace Elliot went down hill when it was sold.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1484167543' post='3213301']
I firmly believe that we are blessed with some of the best luthiers in the world on this side of the pond. Status, GB, Overwater, ACG and our own Andy Rogers to name just a few. All will build you basses that out perform their US counterparts at competitive prices.

[/quote]

Don't forget Jaydee!!!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1484167543' post='3213301']

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Everyone who knows me knows how much I love my Wals and Wals in general. Over the last 30 years I've mange to pick up a collections of fine British instruments... a Tony Revell acoustic bass, two Gordon Smith's, a Fylde Gordon Giltrap Signature acoustic, a Brook acoustic and a Fylde bouzouki/octave mandola. All world beating instruments in their own right. And barely the tip of the UK luthiery iceberg.

Just off now to sing Rule Brittania and wave my Union Jack underpants! ;)

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1484206600' post='3213451']

Just off now to sing Rule Brittania and wave my Union Jack underpants! ;)
[/quote]

That's partly what prompted the post, I'm one of the last people to start any patriotic tub-thumping!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1484209649' post='3213472']

That's partly what prompted the post, I'm one of the last people to start any patriotic tub-thumping!
[/quote]

Yes, it's great to know that the sheer quality of the guitar and bass builders in the U.K. warrants praise and kudos entirely on their own merits... quite irrespective of any spurious nationalistic feeling.

I'm not a gas victim but I've always hankered a little after an Overwater... maybe one day.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1484225759' post='3213685']
Oooh, which tune. Do tell...
[/quote]
All of Jethro Tull's Heavy Horses album, but Journeyman in particular. Recorded in very early 1978. Am I right in assuming the Pro series has the same sound and functionality as their JG counterparts? For a long time the Pro IIE has been my dream bass since I've assumed the JG and Pro only differ superficially.

EDIT: Just realised I've browsed your Wal blog (in awe) before - smashing job!

Edited by ZilchWoolham

I have 2 Overwaters and they are stunning basses that i love. I also have a Jaydee fretless which is good but find the tone a bit limiting compared to some other basses but i guess that's the tone they were famous for back in 80's.
I've never really gave the UK thing any thought altho i did want a UK 6 stringer for my 50th few yrs back and that's when i first met Chris and Martin and the team at that point are were absolutely on the ball and so helpful more like good friends than someone selling me something.
I can't fault the Overwater team and the basses simply speak for themselves.

I am a Fender fan tho and just can't help it. Always had one and always will i think.

Dave

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1484236011' post='3213835']
Pity there seems to be such a dearth of good quality British made strings...
[/quote]

Newtone is just up the road from me and will make strings to order quicker than I can get them at high street outlets. Just so's you know like.

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/newtone-strings-m29?keyword=newtone%20strings&matchtype=e&network=o&device=c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=EL%20-%20Midas%20-%20Hign%20Converters%20Strings&utm_term=newtone%20strings&utm_content=Newtone%20Strings"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/newtone-strings-m29?keyword=newtone%20strings&matchtype=e&network=o&device=c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=EL%20-%20Midas%20-%20Hign%20Converters%20Strings&utm_term=newtone%20strings&utm_content=Newtone%20Strings[/url]

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1484236466' post='3213847']
Newtone is just up the road from me and will make strings to order quicker than I can get them at high street outlets. Just so's you know like.

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/newtone-strings-m29?keyword=newtone%20strings&matchtype=e&network=o&device=c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=EL%20-%20Midas%20-%20Hign%20Converters%20Strings&utm_term=newtone%20strings&utm_content=Newtone%20Strings"]http://www.stringsdi...wtone%20Strings[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah I was aware of Newtone, however...

There are only 2 sets of their bass strings available on the Stringsdirect site.

Their own website is utter pants, and they only seem to do nickels and I prefer steels myself...

...but thanks anyway :)

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1484239430' post='3213888']
Yeah I was aware of Newtone, however...

There are only 2 sets of their bass strings available on the Stringsdirect site.

Their own website is utter pants, and they only seem to do nickels and I prefer steels myself...

...but thanks anyway :)
[/quote]

Just get in touch and they'll do any string you like.

Is there a UK amp manufacturer who make something that sounds like GK or EBS?

Most of the ones I can think of make valve amps, or valve sounding amps - Matamp, Orange, Ashdown etc and I want something with a solid state sound.

Cor, I just realised no one has mentioned Marshall or Hiwatt yet. Perhaps it was so obvious it flew right over my head. I also have a fondness for the amps of H|H Electronics, even though they're not exactly held in as high esteem as their countrymen, er, -amps. Pete Shelley, Steve Diggle and Steve Garvey all played HH amps on the first Buzzcocks LP. According to Diggle, they all bought them simply because they "liked the look of them, even though they sounded like a f***ing bag of nails being thrown around".

Edited by ZilchWoolham