Why become a member? ×

Maruszczyk Fanned Fret

therealting

Be interested to try one. Same price level as the Dingwall Combustions so stiff competition, but only really comparable with their Super J/ Super P which of course is very much more expensive.

I am not entirely sold on the concept of fanned frets at that kind of scale length, though. Amazingly useful for lower tunings and a strong 5th string at the full 37-34 inch fan, not sold on the usefulness and effectiveness of a fan from 34.5 to 32.5, although this is actually a longer scale than the Dingwall Super J/P!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1484077664' post='3212531']
Be interested to try one. Same price level as the Dingwall Combustions so stiff competition, but only really comparable with their Super J/ Super P which of course is very much more expensive.

I am not entirely sold on the concept of fanned frets at that kind of scale length, though. Amazingly useful for lower tunings and a strong 5th string at the full 37-34 inch fan, not sold on the usefulness and effectiveness of a fan from 34.5 to 32.5, although this is actually a longer scale than the Dingwall Super J/P!
[/quote]I really don't think he needs to make them. Unless for a specific order. Maybe he's just showing what he can do.. Which is pretty astounding imo. How he makes basses so amazing for the price is anyones guess.

Well I have a pair of Dingwalls (a Super P5 and a Super J5), and I much prefer the string length to the Combustion I had before both in terms of playability (small hands) and tone (the G really sings at 32", and the B is still tighter than a Fender at 35").

Here's a clip I did of my Super J a couple nights ago (guest starring my Egyptian Mau, Chloë).

https://www.facebook.com/JohannTingMusic/videos/10155003439092932/

Would really like to try one of the Maruszczyks. If he can make a six string fanned fret, then I'm REALLY interested.

Edited by therealting

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1484094082' post='3212711']
Well I have a pair of Dingwalls (a Super P5 and a Super J5), and I much prefer the string length to the Combustion I had before both in terms of playability (small hands) and tone (the G really sings at 32", and the B is still tighter than a Fender at 35").

Here's a clip I did of my Super J a couple nights ago (guest starring my Egyptian Mau, Chloë).

[url="https://www.facebook.com/JohannTingMusic/videos/10155003439092932/"]https://www.facebook...55003439092932/[/url]

Would really like to try one of the Maruszczyks. If he can make a six string fanned fret, then I'm REALLY interested.
[/quote]

of course he can ... custom order only most likely.

• 5 months later...

Bought a Dingwall Super PJ from Bass Direct today. It really is super but that's not what this is about...

I had a go on a Maruszczyk fanned fret Elwood... wow. Wasn't taken back by the bodywork (was a bit agricultural) but the neck was utterly sublime. I came really close to not buying the Dingwall. Certainly played better than my Sandberg which was similar money.

Also had a play of a standard fretted bass (PJ) and it was almost as good - action was a little low if anything with a bit too much buzz on the G but that's easy to sort.

Utterly amazed by the quality of the bass...

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1484078970' post='3212549']
I really don't think he needs to make them. Unless for a specific order. Maybe he's just showing what he can do.. Which is pretty astounding imo. How he makes basses so amazing for the price is anyones guess.
[/quote]

I've always thought that the Maruszczyk range looks like tremendous value for money. I'm also at a loss to explain how the prices are so reasoanble for what you get.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1484094082' post='3212711']

https://www.facebook.com/JohannTingMusic/videos/10155003439092932/

[/quote]

Just bought an early Dingwall 5er combustion on EBay. Arrives next week and my first fan fret bass. Hopefully an easy transition!