Why become a member? ×

what was the last you heard which really spoke to you?

christofloffer

i always love, as i am sure practically everyone does, finding new music to listen to. even better when we find a song or tune which seems to strike some kind of resonance with us. i find that as i get older and keep learning about music and songwriting that songs like this stay with me longer. when we are younger our fancies are more shortlived, how many songs were the best thing ever at the time and little more than nostalgia now. obviously those precious few never leave us, but plenty vanish.
i was recently introduced to brian eno, most specifically the eno/john cale album "wrong way up". a lot of people had recommended eno to me before and i was aware that he is a man who knows his craft, i just never got around to it. i really like that album, not every song is a favourite but the album is a good listen if you like that genre. it has been a welcome inclusion to my music and given as i have a particular fondness for instrumental and ambient music, eno is proving to be an interesting rabbit hole to check out.
in my opinion though, "spinning away" is just fantastic. one of the very rare songs that despite countless listens over the last couple of months its has lost none of its potency and has even gotten better. picking a song apart to learn to play it usually kills a tune, maybe not entirely but it often loses a bit of its magic. spinning away hasnt done that though, its easily shot into my top 3 songs, and i think its a masterclass of song construction.

so in an effort to maybe come across some more tunes and find some more rabbit holes to explore. what was the last song you heard which really spoke to you?

Saw John Wesley supporting Marillion at the end of last year. I'd seen him with Porcupine Tree numerous times & rated him as a fine guitar player but hadn't made the time to seek out any of his own material.

He played a proper solo show with no band - just him, guitar, mic and occasional backing tracks. I was mightily impresed by both material & performance & got the chance to chat with him afterwards (seems a thoroughly nice & completely unassuming guy) & get a copy of his most recent album. Haven't really listened to much else since - it's [i]excellent[/i].

[media]http://youtu.be/KLiKRNPl-pc[/media]

Norwegian viking jazz rockers, Jaga Jazzist. The tendency in these threads is for loads of people to put up videos that nobody watches, but please have a listen to this and tell me I'm not off my rocker...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RtaD6gaPNc[/media]

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1484079555' post='3212557']
Norwegian viking jazz rockers, Jaga Jazzist. The tendency in these threads is for loads of people to put up videos that nobody watches, but please have a listen to this and tell me I'm not off my rocker...

[/quote]
You're not off your rocker. Not my thing, but yes, can appreciate that it is quite special (and no, not using special in that silly teenage ironic sense)!

Edited by Mykesbass

Tedeschi Trucks Band have been talking to me a lot lately. Love there own stuff but they also pick some great covers, so we've nicked this one in my band (including the Grateful Dead bit towards the end): [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrSK-0-MQ8s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrSK-0-MQ8s[/url]