Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3n multi effect

Mudpup

Got a charity gig today .
Both the bands I am in are playing - will be a long day .
Will try some of the clean presets , at a volume .( using a Warwick Corvette FNA , into a Warwick x-treeme into G&K 2x12 neo cab - only one , as smallish pub ).
Will try going into input on front ( using the amps eq set on neutral ) and at some time going directly into effect return , using the Warwicks power amp section .
I must say , I am very very impressed with the unit for recording but sounds a bit "mushy" on headphones IMHO .
Pete

Edited by petetexas

Zoom B3n has got some good "live" sounds .
Ended up yesterday using Ampeg ( less the 8x10 cab ) into my Warwick head , and "tweeking" a bit .
Some would say " why not get a Ampeg head " but I have got a pf 500 , and this thing is really close with the Ampeg Vibe , plus it has all other Amp models , effects , looper etc etc etc in one box .
Now the next thing will be to find a good Chorus , Drive , Octave to mix in with the Ampeg .
Zoom , I recon have done it again .

Edited by petetexas

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived today, which I think deals with one of the few drawbacks of the Zoom B3n as compared to the B3 (lack of DI / XLR out). Literally half the price of the identical pedal with a Fender badge on it! Takes up very little space on the pedal board too :)

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Donner-Passive-Instrument-Balanced-Unbalanced/dp/B01N3YRLUN"]https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/B01N3YRLUN[/url][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I had a query on another thread, that I wasn't able to answer as I've only owned the B3n and not its predecessor - wondering if one you guys (Jimfist?) who have owned both the B3 and B3n can respond? [/font][/color]

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1497110852' post='3315944']
Are the B3n amp and effect models new and improved over the B3?
[/quote]

[quote name='petetexas' timestamp='1497209710' post='3316584']
Done a couple of gigs with it now , found out that the SWR ( SMR - on B3n ) is the most suited to me live ( less all the other bits ).
Will now start sorting out effects to use with it .................
Pete
[/quote]

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1493374564' post='3287842']
Of the amp sim patches, my fav is 030 SMR400 but I appreciate that is going to be purely personal!
[/quote]

You and me both! :)

The other one I've found which isn't a cab sim but I personally like as a really good "enhancement" to a clean sound is the 005 "MX clean" patch (preset).

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1497192817' post='3316442']
Hah - that Donner micro DI pedal isn't for me! One of my shorter lived pedals: adds an annoying high pitched squeal to the signal which I can't be doing with! Will be going back via Amazon shortly methinks:)
[/quote]

Are you running it from the same un-isolated power source? The B3N is known to introduce a high pitched whine when daisy chained with any other pedal.

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1497214611' post='3316630']
Are you running it from the same un-isolated power source? The B3N is known to introduce a high pitched whine when daisy chained with any other pedal.
[/quote]

Hi - thanks and that is useful to know. I'm actually using a Ciocks DC8 for power which provides separate isolated outputs (and no daisy chain being used either). The "ground shift" button on the Donner made no difference to this whine and switching the cab sim from left to right made it ten times worse - from audible to quite loud. And the LED light on this little pedal is ridiculously bright compared to the rest of the pedals, but I could have lived with that if it hadn't been for the whine! Btw this was on the "unbalanced" 1/4" out going to the amp and not the balanced DI out (I didn't get that far!).

I'm assuming that the micro DI pedal with the "Fender" badge are exactly the same inside - they look identical from outside other than a black Fender finish? Dood and a couple of others have found their Fender micro DIs to be good (albeit they would have paid double for the same piece of kit). But you can pay too LITTLE for kit right? And if I do, I shouldn't be expecting the same quality as a DI pedal that costs three times the price. I guess there's a reason they can flog these new for £26!

It may be just a central London thing, though, with higher levels of background interference here - we're never too far away from tube and railway lines! But I'm not getting any whine from the rest of my pedal board, so I have to assume it's something to do with this particular pedal. Anyway the Donner DI is going back via Amazon tomorrow at no real loss to me apart from a slight sense of disappointment!

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1497217649' post='3316657']
Hi - thanks and that is useful to know. I'm actually using a Ciocks DC8 for power which provides separate isolated outputs (and no daisy chain being used either). The "ground shift" button on the Donner made no difference to this whine and switching the cab sim from left to right made it ten times worse - from audible to quite loud. And the LED light on this little pedal is ridiculously bright compared to the rest of the pedals, but I could have lived with that if it hadn't been for the whine! Btw this was on the "unbalanced" 1/4" out going to the amp and not the balanced DI out (I didn't get that far!).

I'm assuming that the micro DI pedal with the "Fender" badge are exactly the same inside - they look identical from outside other than a black Fender finish? Dood and a couple of others have found their Fender micro DIs to be good (albeit they would have paid double for the same piece of kit). But you can pay too LITTLE for kit right? And if I do, I shouldn't be expecting the same quality as a DI pedal that costs three times the price. I guess there's a reason they can flog these new for £26!

It may be just a central London thing, though, with higher levels of background interference here - we're never too far away from tube and railway lines! But I'm not getting any whine from the rest of my pedal board, so I have to assume it's something to do with this particular pedal. Anyway the Donner DI is going back via Amazon tomorrow at no real loss to me apart from a slight sense of disappointment!
[/quote]

Looking at the spec for the DC8 I notice that is only capable of 300ma per section. Are you using a current doubler? The B3n needs 500ma minimum and according to people on the[i] other [/i]forum this is necessary for the B3n to work correctly.

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1497223098' post='3316685']
Looking at the spec for the DC8 I notice that is only capable of 300ma per section. Are you using a current doubler? The B3n needs 500ma minimum and according to people on the[i] other [/i]forum this is necessary for the B3n to work correctly.
[/quote]

That is correct - the DC8 has two 300mA outputs (one of which I'm using for my Smooth Hound wireless, which also won't function on less) and you are also correct that the spec on the Zoom website is suggesting a 500mA power requirement.

I kinda assumed that the pedal will either work or it won't in terms of minimum power supply and the B3n seems to be working just fine on 300mA. What are the guys on the [i]other[/i] forum saying happens to the B3n's performance with sub 500mA?

If there is a performance fall off, according to the other forum, and I need to use a parallel adaptor flex to increase the current, it would be great if I could blend a 9V and the adjacent 12V output. These are not isolated from each other - but that shouldn't matter as they would be going to the same pedal but I'm concerned that would raise the voltage to an average of 10.5V which the Zoom probably wouldn't like / could damage the circuitry? (I don't have another spare 9V 300mA output, as this is already being used).

I could, alternatively, blend with one of the spare 100mA outputs to get to 400mA which will then be "nearly there" on the power front but whether that would make any noticeable difference, I don't know!

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1497251838' post='3316735']
That is correct - the DC8 has two 300mA outputs (one of which I'm using for my Smooth Hound wireless, which also won't function on less) and you are also correct that the spec on the Zoom website is suggesting a 500mA power requirement.

I kinda assumed that the pedal will either work or it won't in terms of minimum power supply and the B3n seems to be working just fine on 300mA. [b]What are the guys on the [i]other[/i] forum saying happens to the B3n's performance with sub 500mA?[/b]

If there is a performance fall off, according to the other forum, and I need to use a parallel adaptor flex to increase the current, it would be great if I could blend a 9V and the adjacent 12V output. These are not isolated from each other - but that shouldn't matter as they would be going to the same pedal but I'm concerned that would raise the voltage to an average of 10.5V which the Zoom probably wouldn't like / could damage the circuitry? (I don't have another spare 9V 300mA output, as this is already being used).

I could, alternatively, blend with one of the spare 100mA outputs to get to 400mA which will then be "nearly there" on the power front but whether that would make any noticeable difference, I don't know!
[/quote]

I did a quick search but it's 98 pages! The best I could find was someone experienced whine on another pedal that was underpowered. I would imagine though that there would be glitches on the patches that used the most CPU power as well as the dreaded whine.
If you check the DI pedal without the B3n plugged in does it still whine? Or have you sent it back already?

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1497263482' post='3316839']
I did a quick search but it's 98 pages! The best I could find was someone experienced whine on another pedal that was underpowered. I would imagine though that there would be glitches on the patches that used the most CPU power as well as the dreaded whine.
If you check the DI pedal without the B3n plugged in does it still whine? Or have you sent it back already?
[/quote]

It's all wrapped ready to go. But let me / unwrap and give it a final try without the B3n for our educational benefit, as that is an interesting point to clarify...Nope still exactly the same whine with the B3n unplugged.

Please note there is no whine at all from the B3n itself (despite it's apparent underpowering) just this one (relatively cheap) DI pedal.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1497269314' post='3316891']
It's all wrapped ready to go. But let me / unwrap and give it a final try without the B3n for our educational benefit, as that is an interesting point to clarify...Nope still exactly the same whine with the B3n unplugged.

Please note there is no whine at all from the B3n itself (despite it's apparent underpowering) just this one (relatively cheap) DI pedal.
[/quote]

That clears that up then! Just thought it was worth considering as whine is a known issue when daisychaining. My Basswitch Dual Comp whines when it's daisychained with anything too.

Everything works ok with my Onespot CS7 power supply though.

Can anyone comment on how the DarkGlass BK7 sounds? I appreciate its not going to have the warmth of the real thing, but ive been wanting to add more dirt to my tone for a while, and while i like my DG VMT id like something that can get dirtier when needed, at the press of a button, whilst also staying on to give some warmth all the time. I was going to use my 60B along side of the VMT, but it looks like the B3n could well be the one box solution, especially as i was also going to start using my TC Corna as well.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1497450077' post='3318276']
Can anyone comment on how the DarkGlass BK7 sounds? I appreciate its not going to have the warmth of the real thing, but ive been wanting to add more dirt to my tone for a while, and while i like my DG VMT id like something that can get dirtier when needed, at the press of a button, whilst also staying on to give some warmth all the time. I was going to use my 60B along side of the VMT, but it looks like the B3n could well be the one box solution, especially as i was also going to start using my TC Corna as well.
[/quote]

I saw a rough video of the comparison on YouTube a while back, but yeah I think it's something lots of people would be interested in hearing!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1497450077' post='3318276']
[/quote]

I've been using the b7k emulation, and its been working really well for me. Doesn't quite have that unbridled rawness that the real deal has, but its certainly good!

Cheers guys. Ive ordered one anyway, as i think (hope) ill have better luck with this one. I dont have to use a DG emulation, but ive always fancied trying a BK7 so this seems the ideal opportunity. I find my VMT a bit dark sounding anyway, so was going to drop it from my live set up.

One other question (i will start reading the manual tonight). My idea is to set up a mild warmth, maybe the BDDI as i like that effect, possibly a compressor as well. Thay would be always on like my VMT is now. Id then like to set the 3 foot switches to have TC Crona, BK7 and a filter pedal. Am i right in thinking i can do this so i can turn the 3 on and off at will without touching the others?

Sorry, one more. Can i use my 1 spot PSU with this box? id just be running the B3n and my G6 receiver off it.

Edited by dave_bass5

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1497452977' post='3318300']

One other question (i will start reading the manual tonight). My idea is to set up a mild warmth, maybe the BDDI as i like that effect, possibly a compressor as well. Thay would be always on like my VMT is now. Id then like to set the 3 foot switches to have TC Crona, BK7 and a filter pedal. Am i right in thinking i can do this so i can turn the 3 on and off at will without touching the others?
[/quote]

Yes - you'd set it up as two different patches and have it in patch mode so the footswitches select a patch as opposed to turning individual effects within a patch on/off..

Thanks but Ive figured out i can do it all from one patch, and changing patches is what I'm trying to get away from. As you can have up to 7 slots, but only 3 controlled any foot switches at any one time Ive got the BDDI on slot one, always on, and slots 2-4 active with the foot switches.
Its a lot more gig friendly than the old B3. I can see me using it a lot more. In fact Ive got my first outing with it tomorrow.
I also just tried my One Spot PSU and that works as well, so all in all very pleased with this new box.

Edited by dave_bass5

Used this pedal for five gigs now............very impressed .

My set up is......Bitsa Jazz ( with Nordstrand pups ) > Zoom B3n > Markbass LM800 > Two G&K 2x12 Neo Cabs .

B3n set up now using BBE / Ampeg amp sim , removing the Speaker sim , for live work . Still trying to find a suitable Chorus and Drive .

Have used the Darkglass B&K for home recording , but not live yet !

I love the way its laid out , and the quality of sounds IMHO are well above the B3 standard .

Maybe we should start to swap settings on this page ?

Pete

Edited by petetexas

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1498513451' post='3325214']
Thanks but Ive figured out i can do it all from one patch, and changing patches is what I'm trying to get away from.
[/quote]

ah sorry I thought at first you wanted to turn the other 3 effects on/off simultaneously. patch change mode does work a lot better than how you used to have to change patches on the old B3.

[quote name='petetexas' timestamp='1498572803' post='3325609']
Guys, check Zoom website ( zoom.jp ) for latest amp , cab and effects ....................nice Markbass there !
[/quote]

Nice! Im at work atm, but what else is in the update!?

Edited by DangerDan