Why become a member? ×

Preamp to suit Bartolini dual coil pickups - sorted/purchased

Sibob

Hi all,

Recently I purchased a Lakland 55-01, whilst it sounds fine, I've decided to swap out the Bart MK-1 Pickups and Preamp.
Already I have Bartolini humbucker (dual coil) USA replacements on the way (collecting at NAMM actually), but i'm looking for peoples experiences with preamps they've had installed with Bart dual coils.
Of course I could just go with the Bart NTMB-F Pre, but thought I'd see what peoples experiences are, as I don't have a lot of experience with different preamps (let alone with specific pickups), having spent my playing life playing probably 80% passive basses.

Cheers all
Si

I have really liked the Nordstarnd preamps and I think Carey Nordstrand will wire up pretty much whatever you need if you get in touch. Saying that I have never heard anyone say anything bad about John East and you could actually go and see him! So many pros use his kit and again there is a huge range of options not just J-Retro type circuits. Those would be my first two choices.

Thanks NJE, will have a look.
I mean, perhaps there aren't any bad combinations?? Do people think that it really matters what pickups are used with what preamp?
You'd like to think that a companies preamps will sound 'best' with their pickups, but is there really a difference?!

Si

Barts actually really work for me... For me, I don't like the top end of the East circuits, Audere or Sadowsky (in isolation at least - I should state that the Sadowsky sound really cuts through in a band situation and sounds great) - but theres plenty of people that make them sound great. I would say stick with the Bart preamp before looking at anything else - but that's just me. The biggest change in sound is going to come from a change in preamp... they defo do sound different as they all spec different frequencies for their treble, mid and bass - and different qs.

I think Bart are really underrated - and have become stuck with an image that they are the "off the shelf option" - there's a reason why a load of luthiers use them. They do the job great.

So I plumped for the Bartolini 3 band pre, the full harness to be accurate (HR5.2AP/918), which is the NTMB preamp, vol (active/passive p/p), blend, treble, mid (250hz/800hz p/p), bass. Collecting from NAMM.

This, combined with the USA built MK-1 replacement dual coils coming from Bartolini (via Elrick, also at NAMM), should be a very cool combination for the 55-01

Si