Why become a member? ×

Ashdown RM White line cabs.

karlfer

OK, update time as have finally got round to using my RM cabs. As I do a fair few gigs where the rigs are miked up rather than DI`d, I decided to get another 210, as I prefer to have both cabs with the same size drivers, if my sound is made up of a 210 and 115 each cab will more than likely be bringing something different, so which would I mic up? Anyway, to performance: Pretty darn chuffed is the verdict.

With my Ashdown RM500 head/Sansamp Para Driver the sound is pretty much the same as through my ABM410 cab, I just have to back off of the input gain to about 11 o`clock rather than at midday with the ABM, and with the bass back it off to about 11 o`clock rather than the 10 o`clock with the ABM. Once that`s done the sound is virtually identical. I get all my eq from the Para Driver, so have everything on the amp at midday, aside from those two mentioned.

I don`t know how loud they will go, but I`m in an Oi/Streetpunk band and we`re not that quiet. My volume on the amp was at less than 9 o`clock (the RMs are loud little amps) this being the same as when using the 8ohm ABM410. The cabs weren`t farting out at all - in fairness I put a lot of treble/upper mids and drive on my sound, think Duff/JJ, so not a hell of a lot of lows to push the cabs, but at no point did I think they weren`t going to handle what I was throwing at them. They gave a good presence, the sound having plenty of bite to it, but still holding down the lows, like I said, think Duff.

Overall I`m really pleased with them, they give me a much more modular set-up for gigs when space is an issue in the cars, plus a nice and easy set-up to rehearse with. For my regular gigs I`ll stick to my ABM600 & 410 set-up, but great to have the RM set-up in reserve.

Edit - so once I`ve paid my subs again (am sure they`ve run out) I`ll be putting the 115 up for grabs.

Edited by Lozz196

• 2 months later...

So, update to the update, finally gigged the RM stack, comprising of RM500 and 2 x RM210. Performed very well indeed, yes in a live environment the difference between the RMs and ABMs can be noticed, with the ABMs definitely having more presence, but seeing as all my gigs have the instruments through FOH this isn`t a big concern. No concerns over volume though, this little stack more then held its own in that area.

What is really great is that our guitarist can fit his Marshall half-stack and guitars, plus my Ashdown RM stack and basses into his car, so I no longer will have to do all the driving when we need to provide full backline Not that this happens that often, the gig I`ve just returned from is the first since last September where both of us had to bring our own amps and speakers. Still great to have that flexibility - til he goes out and buys a Smart Car to spite me I guess.

Just to add my sixpenneth ......

I bought a pair of the RM 112T EVO cabs , and an Ashdown ABM 410 Evo IV cab (as I found a new one at a very attractive price) to compare, and keep the best.

The form factor and weight of the little cabs was superb, but that was all I liked about them. The larger cab blew them out of the water tone-wise (and volume too). The 112's sounded like rather nasal toys to my ears compared to the utterly full and "professional" sound of the 410 EVO IV. I use drive in varying degrees and don't like a load of mids, but certainly would not describe my sound as scooped.
Its strange that Lozz you find the RM cabs sound the same as your ABM410, but I guess not all ABM 410 cabs are equal - they have changed significantly during the different EVO's.

So, for me I was disappointed. I now just have to live with a 35kg cab - big old casters help a lot !

Edited by hamfist

My ABMs are earlier ones from what I understand, they have the black speakers in as oppose to the blueline ones. It may well be that Ashdown developed all of the RM range cabs to be voiced differently. Sure you can notice the difference in size and feel of the sound from the pair of RM210s to the single ABM410, but tone-wise they I find them to be pretty similar.

I now have the Rootmaster 500 head and a pair of the 15 inch lightweight cabs, thanks to Lozz for the second one!
I used the whole lot together last night for a rehearsal. Up against two guitars, drums, three vocals going through a fairly good PA I had the volume on less than a third, and even then it was a little more than I should have had it on. Two fifteen inch cabs and the head in a laptop bag all fit neatly in the boot of my wife's corsa, with pedals and bass on the back seats. Easy! Loading in and out was a doddle.
The sound is good from these but I need to do some fiddling with the eq as I think I've dropped off too much of the mids for my taste. I also need to fiddle with the tweeter settings too to get this right. The bass sound is deep and full with enormous presence and the speakers handled overdrive (ashdown built in), the octave down which is incredibly good on this head btw and tracks far better than in the mag combos, and a bit of flange and wah. It doesn't give me the clarity and punch that the Trace Elliot 4x10 does in the rehearsal room, but I should be able to get towards that with better eq and some compression.
Overall for my uses this is a decent set up. I have to be careful with my back so the lightweight of the cabs is great for me. Maybe a Trace head might come in to play in future, but for now I've got a good solid gigging set up thats fine for my amateur band needs.

• 4 weeks later...

Used the Rootmaster 500 head and two fifteen inch Rootmaster cabs for two gigs this weekend. On a huge outdoor stage and using di it performed admirably, plenty of volume and bottom end. Playing crammed in the corner of a function room with a high ceiling we barely needed any volume at all and didn't di to the PA. This set up is excellent! The cabs give a really pleasing bottom end but definitely don't lose any top, and I have the tweeters off. Want to hold on to this rig for years to come.

I`ve just gone and bought the new 4ohm 410 of this series. Received it today, used at band prac this eve. I couldn`t be happier. I bought it as primarily my ABM410 really is that little bit too heavy for my aging limbs, and already having two of the 210s thought I`d give the 410 a go. Super pleased, I actually prefer the sound of the RM414 (yes, strange name for a 410 I know) to the ABM410. Probably as I have a lot of twang/grind to my sound and the ABM has a lot of depth/lows to it.

So my main rig will be my ABM600 with the 414, with my Rootmaster 500 and two RM-210s as backup items. Plus it`s nice & light, and as it`s less deep than the ABM410 it fits better in the load space in my car. Roqsolid have already had the dimensions sent off for a quote. And at £350 for the cab, well bargain-mungus.

[quote name='Rollin Thunder' timestamp='1496847018' post='3314273']
I Have a mag300 evo iii 115. and i am looking at adding a mag410T second hand cab into a stag for gigging. will this make a good combination
[/quote]

You might find that the 115 ends up not being heard, plus the addition of a 410 is likely to change the eq. Most recommend getting the same cab again if you already like the sound of your existing cab - doubling the sound really is grin-inducing. But many use a 115/410 combination and love it, so I can`t see why it wouldn`t work. If you can get a good deal on the MAG410 then go for it.

Are the 410s relatively new, they weren't part of the "original" EVO launch were they?

I keep considering going back to a 410 and this seems to be a real contender if I ever manage it for the same reasons as Lozz..

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1499254387' post='3330278']
Are the 410s relatively new, they weren't part of the "original" EVO launch were they?

I keep considering going back to a 410 and this seems to be a real contender if I ever manage it for the same reasons as Lozz..
[/quote]

Yes they`ve now got the 410 - an 8ohm 4x10 - and the 414 - a 4ohm 4x10. Originally it was 210(staggered cones)/112/115/610

I`m actually considering another 414 and an OBBM splitter box for bigger staged gigs, though why I don`t know as I rarely use my own rig anyway. I just like the idea of having - albeit in two bits - an 810 set-up that is manageable. Look great for videos and gigs such as The 100 Club.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1496049535' post='3308311'] Just to add my sixpenneth ...... I bought a pair of the RM 112T EVO cabs , and an Ashdown ABM 410 Evo IV cab (as I found a new one at a very attractive price) to compare, and keep the best. The form factor and weight of the little cabs was superb, but that was all I liked about them. The larger cab blew them out of the water tone-wise (and volume too). The 112's sounded like rather nasal toys to my ears compared to the utterly full and "professional" sound of the 410 EVO IV. I use drive in varying degrees and don't like a load of mids, but certainly would not describe my sound as scooped. Its strange that Lozz you find the RM cabs sound the same as your ABM410, but I guess not all ABM 410 cabs are equal - they have changed significantly during the different EVO's. So, for me I was disappointed. I now just have to live with a 35kg cab - big old casters help a lot ! [/quote]

Maybe there is a difference with the Sica drivers in the 112s that I have ? I'm very happy with them . I also have a ABM mini 4x8 with Sica drivers the weight isn't too bad at 44lbs & sounds similar to using 2 x 112s But the 112s are a much easier carry .As soon as you get into 50lb territory I'd probably look at the ABM 2x10 & 1 x15" cabs . For me I think there is always going to be a slight pay off to save on weight , If I had road crew I'd probably go for a ABM 410 & 115 oh & a 8x10 next to that lol ....

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1499206853' post='3330037']
You might find that the 115 ends up not being heard, plus the addition of a 410 is likely to change the eq. Most recommend getting the same cab again if you already like the sound of your existing cab - doubling the sound really is grin-inducing. But many use a 115/410 combination and love it, so I can`t see why it wouldn`t work. If you can get a good deal on the MAG410 then go for it.
[/quote]

works really well, £120 for the 410 cab,
yes it did appear at first that the 410 drowned out the 115, but when i unplugged the 115 it did distinctly loose bottom end, plugged it back in and hey presto. got a really nice all round sound now. very please. only downside with ashdowns for me is they are a little quite compared with some other brands. like a hartke.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1501971831' post='3348604']
Selling my entire RM rig, I'm going for an Ashdown ABM 110 combo...just for convenience.

Gutted it'll be going.
[/quote]

I'm using an Ashdown MiBass 400w combo at the moment. Tiny thing, sounds great with my JV and loud as loud can be for a combo it's size. Played to a 200 crowd with it with no PA support and it did it's job admirably. I used to use an Eden Metro combo with an Ashdown 4X10 sounded amazing but we needed a van just to move my gear :D I'm so glad of the far more convemient bass gear nowadays!

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1501971831' post='3348604']
Selling my entire RM rig, I'm going for an Ashdown ABM 110 combo...just for convenience.

Gutted it'll be going.
[/quote]

You looking for one of the more recent ABM NEO 1x10 combos?
I've been considering doing something similar for ages, but not quite got there yet. I believe the boys at Ashdown might actually have at least one brand new one at their HQ.
They were £999 new, which put me off originally though :(
If you're not looking split new, there's an older one on Gumtree here >> https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-bass-amplifiers/ashdown-abm-c110-300-bass-combo/1259589316
Looks in good condition, I'd be tempted myself, if we hadn't just had another baby!

Regardless, I look forward to hearing all about it, especially how gig worthy it is, I'm [b]still[/b] thinking about getting one :)

Eude

• 2 years later...

Yes, I put up a thread on Friday about my use of these - I’d sold them but luckily managed to buy them back - and paired them with my RM500 EVO II. In short was knocked out by just how good they sounded. Ok I’ve had the cones upgraded to Eminence Betas so not an objective view of the stock cabs but I’m just so glad I bought them back.

• Like 1