Why become a member? ×

Rechargeable 9v power supplies

SisterAbdullahX

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

A lot of folk bandy words like trust and respect. Well I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and prove how much I mean those two simple words. I'm going to do what you say and to hell with the consequences. 

I'm really touched :) Bless your heart. It will be fine, for sure.  - though if you wanted to, there are such items out there as "dummy batteries" - essentially just a shell in which both terminals are just wired together - this allows you to essentially bypass one cell's worth of 'slot'. Just clip it in and you'll have 7 cells worth of output instead. Which based on your 10,3v reading earlier, will give you your 9v!

I cant imagine they would be any more than about 99p each. 

Just now, Dood said:

I'm really touched :) Bless your heart. It will be fine, for sure.  - though if you wanted to, there are such items out there as "dummy batteries" - essentially just a shell in which both terminals are just wired together - this allows you to essentially bypass one cell's worth of 'slot'. Just clip it in and you'll have 7 cells worth of output instead. Which based on your 10,3v reading earlier, will give you your 9v!

I cant imagine they would be any more than about 99p each. 

then, if you were concerned, should you ever end up with batteries chucking out 1.2v instead, pop the 8th one back in :) 

• 2 years later...

283832070_zombiethread.jpg.04437020cf7fc5f80332646bbb61a315.jpg.c80a365514e5c77f1733d48ddeca37eb.jpg

I've just pulled the trigger on this. For me its big advantage is that it has separate 9v outputs rather than just one or two like some other rechargeables. This means I can use my existing power cables, which is grand because a} I spent ages making them and b} I'm not mad keen on daisy-chaining. I shall report back when it turns up.

07115D62-60EA-4592-B68E-A874D1DD9280.jpeg.2171cc06bbef7ec2cc5465afd2262fc5.jpeg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's here... seems pretty good at the moment, I've not had a chance to run it for any length of time yet -- had a quick blast in the garage and it seems to work fine. I'll report back after the first gig or two. This is it, velcro'd into place under my board.

@tayste_2000 I couldn't tell you if it'd fit a PT nano or not, as I don't have one... if you give me the critical dimensions, I can measure it up?

PSX_20230524_132428.jpg.9baa830e6eec6edf5e5df7d77ff44012.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

Well it's here... seems pretty good at the moment, I've not had a chance to run it for any length of time yet -- had a quick blast in the garage and it seems to work fine. I'll report back after the first gig or two. This is it, velcro'd into place under my board.

@tayste_2000 I couldn't tell you if it'd fit a PT nano or not, as I don't have one... if you give me the critical dimensions, I can measure it up?

PSX_20230524_132428.jpg.9baa830e6eec6edf5e5df7d77ff44012.jpg

I think the cables would need swapping for right angle versions but

3.8125" (3 13/16")/96.8375mm space between the rails.

21 minutes ago, tayste_2000 said:

I think the cables would need swapping for right angle versions but

3.8125" (3 13/16")/96.8375mm space between the rails.

Ok, I plugged in a right-angle DC plug and this is the overall width. From your dimensions it looks like it should fit.

PSX_20230524_162053.jpg.9075d51447a2269411b9cf491220b9b2.jpg

1 hour ago, tayste_2000 said:

Can you charge the battery and pass power through to the pedals at the same time? Ie use it plugged in and the battery is there in emergencies.

Don't know. It doesn't say you can't.

17 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

That looks great Stew, especially having the one port where the voltage can be selected.

Yes I thought that. Also incredibly powerful. I have two of the older slim HB battery packs and they're nowhere near as powerful but run a board happily for 3 - 4 hours

I have been using the slim one that Stew mentions for a few years and it still has plenty of juice as we pack up - probably 3.5hrs from sound check.  I don't use many pedals, though - Boss WL50, TC Polytune and Spectradrive.  I like it because it is slim enbough to sit under the pedal board which means I can get away with a tiny set up.

IMG_20230421_114805.thumb.jpg.7db42e35a1087dd2699c731599ef900f.jpgIMG_20230421_114848.thumb.jpg.a8f25fb00b1663a047fbd350f1d7567a.jpg

• Like 2

I have a similar set up to Paul S but instead of  a HB powerbank I use a Gear4music pedal board mounted 5.8ghz wireless transmiter/receiver with tuner. This has a built in rechargable battery which as an output for powering pedals. The battery will also charge the guitar transmiter.

Easily lasts a gig+ even if the bug has to be charged at halt time.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2023 at 18:19, tayste_2000 said:

Can you charge the battery and pass power through to the pedals at the same time? Ie use it plugged in and the battery is there in emergencies.

On 24/05/2023 at 20:15, Rich said:

Don't know. It doesn't say you can't.

I've just experimented -- with it plugged in and charging, it still powers up and all the pedals are live. So it looks like a yes.

I use these batteries for astrophotography. They can put out a lot of current at one time to handle the slew of a telescope mount motor thats loaded with a couple of kg of kit. 9VAh is quite a lot.

They don't have multiple outputs which could be very useful, but I normally put a USB hub on and draw power from that which is not what most pedals can do :)

However I leave it here as a possible solution, they are chunky and seem to last forever for me even in the cold.

Rob

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to @Rich for reviving this thread and recommending the Yuer power supply.  It's a beautifully made bit of kit.  Unfortunately for me and @tayste_2000 it just doesn't quite fit between the bars on my Nano or Mini pedalboards - even with angled connectors.  Does anyone know of any low profile angled power leads that might do the trick?  

I’ve ended up buying a Cioks4

Powering from USB C is probably more my goal than battery, just nice to have the flexibility.

I find myself struggling to have anything more than a Nano but I am going to try the D’addario XPND with a view that maybe that will stop me buying and selling nanos all the damn time.