Why become a member? ×

Rechargeable 9v power supplies

SisterAbdullahX

Anyone tried the Mooer MP Power, Eneloop or RockBoard 9v rechargeable power supplies? Would be interested in hearing opinions. Just starting to assemble a few pedals and quite like the look of these (if they work). 9v is enough for my pedal needs and obviously not connecting to the mains means no noise. Good for nearly 800 recharges means 25 years of use at my current gig rate!

• 3 months later...

I haven't tried them specifically... because I went and got one of these -

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-AA-1-5V-2A-Battery-Holder-Storage-Box-WITH-COVER-AND-ON-OFF-DC-jack-UK-/222012968972?hash=item33b101100c:g:6L0AAOSwhcJWHpSk"]http://www.ebay.co.u...L0AAOSwhcJWHpSk[/url]

and 8 eneloop rechargeables. A lot cheaper.

Note - I did resolder the cables to change the polarity to be pedal friendly - but you could use an adapter to do the same.

Last ages - it's great.

Edited by EBS_freak

I've had the eneloop pedal juice for 2-3 years. Awesome power supply and makes things alot easier at gigs since i don't need to be near a plug socket =) (it's powers Dr green black death, Ashdown hyper drive, dunlop bass wah and zoom multi stomp ms60b) Occasionally i power my two notes le bass when i'm at home since the fully isolated power helps cut down on noise.

Definitely recommended.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1492583415' post='3281300']
I use the Pedaltrain Volto. It's pretty good - lasts a while powering 4 or five pedals but I'm always forgetting to charge the bloody thing before a gig.
[/quote]

I have been using a Volto under my Pedaltrain Nano for a while now. Powering a 2 pedals and tuner. Works great.

[quote name='Elfrasho' timestamp='1492590041' post='3281361']
With these it is possible to plug it in whilst using it? As in, use it like a traditional power supply?
[/quote]

Some but not all.

The Rockboard LT XL will - I have one of them.

And it's only about £45 too. It's very good.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RockBoard-by-Warwick-Power-LT-XL-Lithium-Ion-Rechargeable-Battery/1FV7

I'm also using a Rockboard LT XL, and am very happy with it. It lasts multiple gigs on a single charge, and you can play while you charge anyway. The only slight complaint I have about it is that it doesn't have an on/off switch, so I have to disconnect it to prevent the battery being drained.

S.P.

What I ended up doing with my Line 6 G10 which doesn't take 9 Volt, was this, one Volto for the pedals and one USB battery pack for the G10. But if you have a wireless that use 9 volt then I presume you can use one battery pack only.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KnAK2V][/url]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/JxXBkb][/url]

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1492087184' post='3277831']
I haven't tried them specifically... because I went and got one of these -

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-AA-1-5V-2A-Battery-Holder-Storage-Box-WITH-COVER-AND-ON-OFF-DC-jack-UK-/222012968972?hash=item33b101100c:g:6L0AAOSwhcJWHpSk"]http://www.ebay.co.u...L0AAOSwhcJWHpSk[/url]

and 8 eneloop rechargeables. A lot cheaper.

Note - I did resolder the cables to change the polarity to be pedal friendly - but you could use an adapter to do the same.

Last ages - it's great.
[/quote]

Exactly what I did. I've only charged it twice and I bought it last year ha ha!!

• 3 years later...

1719107493_ThreadRessurection.thumb.jpg.75754dce40b8c842ba687761fe943668.jpg

Hi folks, and especially you @Dood. I love these kind of approaches, the home made cost saving fun alternatives. However I notice the price of the Eneloop batteries appears to make this an almost obselete idea given the low cost of dedicated recheargeable power supplies.

Unless of course these batteries are so expensive because they will outlast a shop bought power supply by some margin.

Here then are my questions.

01) Why did Dood use 8 batterries when 6 give you 9v?

02) Have they carried on only needing charging every couple of years?

03) How many pedals are they powering?

and finally

04) Where does one buy the best recheargable batteries without paying an absolute fortune?

Edited by stewblack

On 11/09/2020 at 15:40, stewblack said:

1719107493_ThreadRessurection.thumb.jpg.75754dce40b8c842ba687761fe943668.jpg

Hi folks, and especially you @Dood. I love these kind of approaches, the home made cost saving fun alternatives. However I notice the price of the Eneloop batteries appears to make this an almost obselete idea given the low cost of dedicated recheargeable power supplies.

Unless of course these batteries are so expensive because they will outlast a shop bought power supply by some margin.

Here then are my questions.

01) Why did Dood use 8 batterries when 6 give you 9v?

02) Have they carried on only needing charging every couple of years?

03) How many pedals are they powering?

and finally

04) Where does one buy the best recheargable batteries without paying an absolute fortune?

1. Rechargeable batteries on average can only muster 1.2v each, thus I use 8 to give me 9.6v output

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dood said:

1. Rechargeable batteries on average can only muster 1.2v each, thus I use 8 to give me 9.6v output

2. It won’t last two years lol, it was just that I hadn’t used it much, but the eneloop batteries do retain their charge when not in use.

3. The more pedals you add, the more current is required. That of course affects how long the pack will last. Off the top of my head I can’t remember the capacity of the batteries as a set of eight, (Total amp/hours) - you’d then work out the consumption of each pedal and then be able to work out how long the pack should last. Me be someone can chime in because I’m marinading in Guinness right now 😂

4. Eneloop are amongst the best, but there’s a set I bought cheap that are actually very good. I’ll dig them out and find out what they are. Reviews say they perform well.

On 12/09/2020 at 21:28, Dood said:

. Rechargeable batteries on average can only muster 1.2v each, thus I use 8 to give me 9.6v output

I can't tell you how much I wish I'd read this before buying my 6 X AA battery holder. 

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. 

That being said I am getting a good bit of life out of the 6. But I guess I need all six at their absolute best at the same time and once they begin to fade it'll be Goodnight Vienna. 

OK. I'm not letting this go without a fight. Following advice from the legend that is the @Dood I have now purchased some 8 X AA holders. And yes I have now spent more than another Harley Benton recheargable power supply would have cost. And they have two outlets, and phone charging, and they're smaller, and they have a torch.

But where's the fun in being sensible?

Here's the problem though. When I plug in my recheargable batteries I am getting just over 10.3 volts. I read somewhere that pedals will cope with 10% more than the recommended 9v. I don't know if I believe that enough to hook up several hundred pounds worth of noise machines to my non money saving crackpot homemade idea. What can ya'll tell me about this? I mean, other than go buy a proper supply, I've done that they're £35 and utterly brilliant. Does the danger of the output diminish the more pedals you hook up? Should I just throw in one older crappy battery to drop the v's?

Edited by stewblack

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

OK. I'm not letting this go without a fight. Following advice from the legend that is the @Dood I have now purchased some 8 X AA holders. And yes I have now spent more than another Harley Benton recheargable power supply would have cost. And they have two outlets, and phone charging, and they're smaller, and they have a torch.

But where's the fun in being sensible?

Here's the problem though. When I plug in my recheargable batteries I am getting just over 10.3 volts. I read somewhere that pedals will cope with 10% more than the recommended 9v. I don't know if I believe that enough to hook up several hundred pounds worth of noise machines to my non money saving crackpot homemade idea. What can ya'll tell me about this? I mean, other than go buy a proper supply, I've done that they're £35 and utterly brilliant. Does the danger of the output diminish the more pedals you hook up? Should I just throw in one older crappy battery to drop the v's?

10.3! How very odd! That works out at about 1.3v per cell - I wouldn't worry about it - especially if you are reading that from an unloaded power supply on a standard multi-meter. Stick a couple of pedals on the pack and it will be negligible :)

3 minutes ago, Dood said:

10.3! How very odd! That works out at about 1.3v per cell - I wouldn't worry about it - especially if you are reading that from an unloaded power supply on a standard multi-meter. Stick a couple of pedals on the pack and it will be negligible :)

A lot of folk bandy words like trust and respect. Well I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and prove how much I mean those two simple words. I'm going to do what you say and to hell with the consequences. 

• Like 1