Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Lighter and with pizzazz - pumping up a Harley

Andyjr1515

Interesting build! I think covering the cavities and making them airtight will be enough to fight feedback (thinking of an acoustic guitar soundhole bung which works by sealing the cavity not filling it) but I doubt foam inside would do any harm :)

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1484416880' post='3215361']
I have also heard of filling chambers in musical instruments to fight resonance and feedback.
[/quote]

I briefly owned an early 60s Epiphone Rivoli that was stuffed with old newspaper in the cavitiy. Took forever to get it all out of the f-holes with a bent coat hanger. I believe this was fairly common practice on semis.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1484582955' post='3216488']
Last time I looked my Status was filled with foam........I'll get me coat
[/quote]
Cool... cavity wall insulation for instruments! What could be better in a cold pub?

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1484577290' post='3216432']

I briefly owned an early 60s Epiphone Rivoli that was stuffed with old newspaper in the cavitiy. Took forever to get it all out of the f-holes with a bent coat hanger. I believe this was fairly common practice on semis.
[/quote]
Ah...I bet that's what I'm thinking of. True semi acoustics to prevent feedback! This one will be fine :)

It's tomorrow, Si600 :D

Many of you will have seen me do this before, but basically, this is my veneering kit:

I actually use an old R/C modelling heatshrink iron but a standard domestic iron will do just as well

I always take an impression of the screw holes, etc, so I can find them again once it's veneered:

The PVA is applied to both the body and the veneer and allowed to dry. The little spritzer is to give the back a light mist of water to counteract the bending.

Here is one of the halves drying:

...and then it's ironed on, starting with the centre-line and making sure it doesn't drift:

I cut some of the chambers before I add the second half. Makes it easier to find them. I iron round the edges to make sure, when it's trimmed that they are well glued. Note that, as long as the bend is in one axis only (like the arm-relief), the veneer bends quite readily:

And here it is, rough trimmed and waiting sanding and smoothing out of the join-line, etc:

Good grief Andy - anybody would think that you actually ENJOY doing all this!! ;)

Seriously though, I've been following each posting like some addicted 'soap' fan - can't wait for the next episode! The chambering question is an interesting one and I guess the key is 'control'; you can obviously engineer cavities to enhance the final sound but on an unknown, one-off project like this the safe bet is probably to in-fill them.