Why become a member? ×

Hiscox for Jazz 5

M@23

I'm after a hardcase for a 5 string Sadowsky J5.

What are people using? I'm looking at the usual contenders, Hiscox and SKB mostly.
Main concern is a good fit from a generic case and having enough room round the headstock for a 4+1 tuner config. I've had SKB Fender cases and they certainly did the job protection wise, and are fitted to Fender shapes, so should suit a Sadowsky. But, no one ever has a bad word to day about Hiscox! I guess the Standard EBS would fit?

Any help/recommendations greatfully received.

Edited by M@23

So, the case arrived today. For the benefit of any future researchers...

It's VERY well built. But, i wouldn't recommend the STD EBS for a 5 string jazz. Not if my Sadowsky is anything to go by. I've no idea if it is a standard length. But the case is about 2cm too short to house it 100% comfortably. It fits in the Shell, but the padding on the top lid overlaps, and therefore piniches the headstock. I don't think it would fare well against a heavy hit to the headstock end. Especially if it were dropped on that end, as there is less 1cm clearance between the tip of the headstock and case.

Edited by M@23

This is not uncommon, I know a few luthiers who have to "mod" the case appropriately - and the mod is....

get out your hammer and hammer the padding down about one cm at the body side and about one cm where the headstock is. If you go up to the larger case, the case is too large and its not as snug as you would want it to be.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1483990222' post='3211794']
This is not uncommon, I know a few luthiers who have to "mod" the case appropriately - and the mod is....

get out your hammer and hammer the padding down about one cm at the body side and about one cm where the headstock is. If you go up to the larger case, the case is too large and its not as snug as you would want it to be.
[/quote]

Oh good, I was wondering whether that would be an acceptable thing to do. The case is solid as a rock, so I don't really want to send it back.

I have a Hiscox and although it is bomb-proof and incredibly well made, it has been a poor fit for virtually every bass I have owned. I know it is difficult to make a one size fits all case but I have ended up having to pack odd areas with towels/cloths so that the bass doesn't move around inside the case. Also on the odd occasion I have knocked the case I can hear the strings on the bass vibrate, which says to me the case isn't taking much of the impact.

I loved my SKB case I had with my fender but the best I have had by far is my Mono M80 bag. I realise it isn't suited for everyone and not ideal if you stack your cases in a van full of PA kit, but it takes every knock and drop like a champ.

All the Hiscox cases I own were supplied by the luthiers or manufacturers with the guitars and basses that I bought and as a consequence the internal padding in the case is slightly different for each design of instrument it came with. IIRC you can contact Hiscox and they will sort you out with the appropriate padding inserts to make your bass fit properly.

Thanks for the replies. The Hiscox is getting sent back. As nice as it is, I'm going to look elsewhere rather than take a hammer to the padding of a new case.

I'm thinking about just going back to a Fusion gig bag... but will hold out for a hard case as it will need to be back of the van proof.

I'm going to try the SKB Pro. The same as the ones you get with Fender US Standards.
Hopefully my bass's undersized jazz body will fit!