Why become a member? ×

Gear4Music - Truly Awful Service

kendall

Hi there

I have been having a real battle with Gear 4 Music. A potted history below.

We purchased an Amp which developed a fault within warranty period. It was picked up and sent for repair, 3 weeks later, it came back unfixed.

Cue lengthy phone calls to try and arrange a replacement. They promised to collect on a certain day, then after waiting in all day, no-one arrived. More lengthy phone calls and finally they arrange a collection. A week later, I ring them to find out what is happening, was told that the testing of the amp would take approx 10 days. When I queried this and asked why a 5 minute job takes so long, I was told that I had to wait for all the other testing work to be done, and despite the issues I have had, they could do nothing to assist me.

I gave a review on Facebook and miraculously, someone called that day to arrange a replacement, which arrived yesterday. The amp was broken. Called them today and can now expect a refund in 5 to 10 days. I have tried to speak to managers, but they refuse to speak to customers. They will not acknowledge a complaint and say I have to write to the chief executive, when I ask for his/her name and email addresses they say they don't know.

Have I been unlucky or are they usually this bad?

Nevertheless, my money will be going elsewhere.

That's really bad luck, I had an item I was not happy with from them (it was the manufacturers issue not theirs) and I rang to say I wasn't happy. Got through to a really helpful guy who said they couldn't replace like for like as they didn't have the same colour in stock and would I take the item with a hefty discount? I said I wanted more of a discount as I could buy the same item somewhere else that day and they negotiated a little more off for me....brilliant result, money went back in my account in about 3 days.

I think its bad luck and understandably it will impact on your decision not to use them again. They do have a massive showroom I think as well with some really nice kit.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1483611472' post='3208613']
This is a shame, I`ve always had great service from them, couldn`t fault it at all.
[/quote]

Me too. never had to return anything, but I did have an issue last year where I ordered something and arranged for it to be left at a local shop for me to pick up as i would be at work when it was due. The courier then cancelled the drop off because the item was too big for the shop so defaulted to a home delivery at my old address (which I hadn't updated, having recently moved and it not being relevant for the delivery I had arranged). Their CS Dept could not have been more helpful - updated the address, got straight on to the couriers to make sure they didn't try to deliver it to my old place, and arranged for a delivery slot so that I would be in: I didn't even have to ask, just told them what was wrong and they told me how they would fix.

However, I do see the difference between the straight forward, standard customer service stuff that I got and the more complicated issues you're dealing with. Not an excuse - from a customer's perspective it should all be the same

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1483611472' post='3208613']
This is a shame, I`ve always had great service from them, couldn`t fault it at all.
[/quote]

Same here, and ive always had quick responses to any questions etc. Been using them for years without a hitch. Maybe they have new staff member's.

Gotta love the direct Facebook approach though, ive used this a few times with amazing results with Luther compactness.

Always had excellent service from them especially when a chap called Lloyd was there. I should say that there only 5 miles from me so I invariably go into the showroom.

However, a few years ago they neglected to state that a combo I ordered online was ex-demo (it [i]was[/i] a great price). They replaced it with a new one but the head didn't work. Finally Lloyd met me at their warehouse and got me another head which I still have. All this took place over a the space of a couple of days. No quibbles anywhere along the line.

Having said that customer service everywhere has become increasingly inconsistent due, in no small part, to low wages, poor training and lack of interest.

It's a shame, but you take as you find and a bad experience is a bad experience.

Edited by skb558

If you go on their website there is a 'investor information' link and it tells you who's who.

I bought amp late last year from them that I did not like and requested it picked up. This they did but it took a good 3 weeks from the initial purchase for the money to go back on my credit card.

I had exactly the same poor experience about a year ago.....

Bought something, it conked out 3 months later, sent it back for an exchange, chased up after a week to see what was happening, still awaiting inspection by warranty dept apparently, they then insisted on sending it back to manufacturer for repair as they didn't have any more and wouldn't refund me as it was out of the first 4 weeks window, got it back 3 weeks later still knackered with same fault, squabbled for a refund after i kicked up an almighty fuss, they eventually refunded me.

Wouldn't buy anything ever again from them...

You could find the problem actually lies in how Gear4Music are treated by their suppliers. If the supplier gives Gear4Music a rough service, questioning every report of a fault and reluctant to support, then Gear4Music has no option but to protect themselves from being stuck with dead, failed stock.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1483651649' post='3209078']
You could find the problem actually lies in how Gear4Music are treated by their suppliers. If the supplier gives Gear4Music a rough service, questioning every report of a fault and reluctant to support, then Gear4Music has no option but to protect themselves from being stuck with dead, failed stock.
[/quote]

My main concern is their lack of customer service. They refuse to own and resolve problems. The amount of wasted phone calls, promises of call backs etc. is what really annoyed me. As for their suppliers, that is their problem and not mine, they are happy to take my money but unable to deliver on their promise of "Excellent Service" when things go wrong. I accept that problems can and do occur, the measure of a company is how they resolve these problems and keep customers coming back.

[quote name='kendall' timestamp='1483692790' post='3209253']
My main concern is their lack of customer service. They refuse to own and resolve problems. The amount of wasted phone calls, promises of call backs etc. is what really annoyed me. As for their suppliers, that is their problem and not mine, they are happy to take my money but unable to deliver on their promise of "Excellent Service" when things go wrong. I accept that problems can and do occur, the measure of a company is how they resolve these problems and keep customers coming back.
[/quote]
Agreed; they should keep their promises. There's no excuse for them giving bad service in that respect. To avoid that; always take the name of the customer service person. If he lets you down, then call and talk to the Sales Manager and report the name of the person who didn't call you back. After all it's not Gear4Music that's giving bad service it's the Customer Service person.

As someone who's worked in sales for many years, I believe that honesty with the customer is always best. If you get poor support from a supplier - tell the customer. Tell them the procedure that needs to be followed to get the best response from the supplier.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1483693164' post='3209261']

Agreed; they should keep their promises. There's no excuse for them giving bad service in that respect. To avoid that; always take the name of the customer service person. If he lets you down, then call and talk to the Sales Manager and report the name of the person who didn't call you back. After all it's not Gear4Music that's giving bad service it's the Customer Service person.

As someone who's worked in sales for many years, I believe that honesty with the customer is always best. If you get poor support from a supplier - tell the customer. Tell them the procedure that needs to be followed to get the best response from the supplier.
[/quote]

Under the Consumer Rights Act (and the Sale of Goods Act that preceded it), your contract is with the retailer who sold you the goods. Whilst you might be sympathetic to a retailer who has problems with its suppliers, that is not and should not be your problem as the end consumer and you should not lose out over it. Your contract is with the retailer and it is up to them to reimburse you, not the supplier. If they wish to secure recompense from their supplier, that's up to them. However, it shouldn't affect what happens to you.

[quote name='kendall' timestamp='1483692790' post='3209253']
[/quote]

Exactamundo..

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1483715820' post='3209501']
Under the Consumer Rights Act (and the Sale of Goods Act that preceded it), your contract is with the retailer who sold you the goods. Whilst you might be sympathetic to a retailer who has problems with its suppliers, that is not and should not be your problem as the end consumer and you should not lose out over it. Your contract is with the retailer and it is up to them to reimburse you, not the supplier. If they wish to secure recompense from their supplier, that's up to them. However, it shouldn't affect what happens to you.
[/quote]
That's all great in theory, and I appreciate you are correct. But we're not talking about taking it to court. We're talking about the facts that can lie under the surface that can be the reason for bad service.

After all, would you take a seller to court, possibly costing £x,000 for a £200 bass? Yes, you might get your costs back. But there is the risk that you won't. You might also go to a lot of cost in the preparation only to have the seller post you a cheque or issue a basic refund on the cost price. That said, making reference to the law when talking to them usually gets them thinking.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1483722099' post='3209604']

That's all great in theory, and I appreciate you are correct. But we're not talking about taking it to court. We're talking about the facts that can lie under the surface that can be the reason for bad service.

After all, would you take a seller to court, possibly costing £x,000 for a £200 bass? Yes, you might get your costs back. But there is the risk that you won't. You might also go to a lot of cost in the preparation only to have the seller post you a cheque or issue a basic refund on the cost price. That said, making reference to the law when talking to them usually gets them thinking.
[/quote]

Wouldn't cost you £000s to pursue the value of a £200 instrument. You can use the small claims mediation and procedure - see https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview.

I've spent thousands with them and only ever had an issue once and that was because they used TNT instead of the usual (and always excellent) DPD. I bought a pair of Markbass cabs and received no tracking info or any indication of when they might arrive. I paid extra for Saturday delivery and they didn't arrive until Monday.

I did get my postage money back but that wasn't the point - I needed the cabs for a particular gig. I did tell them however that if they ever used TNT with me again I would stop buying from them.