Why become a member? ×

High or low on a 5-string

oggiesnr

I have my fivers tuned E-C. I don't like the tone of a low B so that's out for me. I don't need a low B either. I like to play chords and tunes and the C adds that extra range. You can of course do that with B-G tuning but chords sound a bit muddy for my liking and tunes don't ring out the way they do with a C. Remember though, it is only an extra 5 semi-tones in each direction.

What music do you like playing? Not everyone has a use for a high C as I don't have a use for low B. If you just play 'ordinary' bass parts then maybe stick with a B.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1483570438' post='3208440']
When I played fives, I tuned a tone below E-C (so DGCFBb). I found the low D useful but low B not helpful with what we were playing.
[/quote]

I was thinking about this exact thing last night. I used to play my ibanez musician 4 in D with groundwounds exclusively for about 2 years. I'm looking at buying a 5 now and similarly find anything below D of little use. I may try this out.

Edited by Winny Pooh

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1483570438' post='3208440']
When I played fives, I tuned a tone below E-C (so DGCFBb). I found the low D useful but low B not helpful with what we were playing.
[/quote]

Did you use a standard set of strings for this as this looks like an option? I play a lot of UK folk so G and D major (plus related minors) are the main keys and I like the option of the low D. On the other hand I rarely go below there.

Steve

Personally I see no point in the high C. You can get most of the notes it offers out of the higher registers of thecothercstrings. However you cannot get the lower notes, especially if you play with key boarders or brass who favour Eb. I also find it easier on the hand to play off the 5th and above on the B rather than 0-5 on the E.

As I said in the other thread I could never get a tone I liked out of the high C string. I tried several different sets of strings when I experimented with it a few years ago and without exception the C string had all the character of a cheap and nasty guitar. The same notes played on the G or D strings always had a lot more authority, so I've stuck with B - G on my 5-strings.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1483605466' post='3208540']
As I said in the other thread I could never get a tone I liked out of the high C string. I tried several different sets of strings when I experimented with it a few years ago and without exception the C string had all the character of a cheap and nasty guitar. The same notes played on the G or D strings always had a lot more authority, so I've stuck with B - G on my 5-strings.
[/quote]

I'm thinking of going the Peter Hook route, and using a G string tuned up to C - Hooky does something similar with the strings on his six string bass as it gives him a much better tone than using conventional guages for the high strings. He says in his recent book that he had to experiment with different gauges until he found some that didn't snap or were so over-tension as to be unplayable.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1483609012' post='3208577']
I'm thinking of going the Peter Hook route, and using a G string tuned up to C - Hooky does something similar with the strings on his six string bass as it gives him a much better tone than using conventional guages for the high strings. He says in his recent book that he had to experiment with different gauges until he found some that didn't snap or were so over-tension as to be unplayable.
[/quote]

IIRC the Shergold is a short scale (30") which IME makes a massive difference to the sound (and feel) of the higher strings. I have the Squier VM Bass VI and the high B and E strings on it are perfectly useable, which definitely wasn't the case when I was experimenting with high C on my 5-string basses.

Having said that, even though the Squier is voiced more like a guitar in it's choice of pickups and their placement, if I was going to spend most of my time playing in those registers I'd probably use one of my guitars as they still sound better.

I've recently joined a post-punk influenced band and have been busy channeling my inner Peter Hook, but I'm finding I prefer the sound of my Gus bass played high up on the neck to that of the Squier and at a recent recording session that ended up being the best choice in the context of the overall sound of the band.

There's a lot that can make a high C sing or sound awful, scale length, fret size, string gauge, electronics.

Personally I really don't like C strings on medium-jumbo frets (which most basses tend to have).
I had a Fodera 5 string which was 33" scale and small frets, and that 26 gauge C sounded fantastic.

The argument above which states that Cs are pointless because you can get "most of the notes on a bass anyway" is odd, especially because the same thinking can be applied to low Bs lol, you can also get 'most of the notes', you're only missing 5 extra notes in both examples ;).
What does of course matter is context, I love having a high C 5er, great for chordal work & studying. You can obviously do that on a low B 5, but you either accept you're a 4th out in the same position, or that you'l quickly run out of space playing material in the same key as the high C bass.

Ultimately, I had more use day to day for a low B, for transposing keys on gigs and retaining low notes, Bs, Cs & Ds etc, so I reverted to a bass with a Low B (which doesn't suit small frets IMO)

Si

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1483557714' post='3208261']
My 5-string currently has a low B. It's going in for some work and a set up so this would be the opportunity to swtich to high C.

What do other five-stringers do and any thoughts on the pro's and cons of the two options?

Cheers

Steve
[/quote]

I guess it depends on whether you will use more the higher or the lower range. I would not really use the extra higher notes, and I use more the lower range than the higher, so I'd find more useful the ability to move horizontally towards the low end (B string) than towards the high (C string). So that means BEADG for me. If you do a lot of melodic soloing etc you might prefer the C. If you're unsure as to which one... maybe you need a 6 string?

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1483597930' post='3208509']
Did you use a standard set of strings for this as this looks like an option? I play a lot of UK folk so G and D major (plus related minors) are the main keys and I like the option of the low D. On the other hand I rarely go below there.

Steve
[/quote]

I did, but I can't remember what they were, sorry.

Low B every time - it allows you to go deeper, even if it's just down to a D.

If you want to go higher, then get more frets and if you're always playing up there then you should be on a guitar!

However, having played a 4-string and guitar for may years and thus associating the thickest string with being bottom E, I do find it very easy to forget which instrument I'm on and that I'm one string out! Perhaps the string isn't the only things that's thick here...