Why become a member? ×

Practice amp - which one to go for?

christabel

I am also in the same boat as Christabel. My local shop that I try and support was trying to sell me a Fender Rumble 15W amp, I think he wanted £89 for it.

I do use the learner books with cds so would like the cd inputs. Gets boring when you have nobody to jam with! (not that I am anywhere near good enough yet!)

I will give the Peavey Max 126 a look over on your advice though.

[quote name='nixonuk' post='11353' date='Jun 3 2007, 11:55 AM']I will give the Peavey Max 126 a look over on your advice though.[/quote]

I have this too and its a great little amp for home practice. Surprisingly good sound for something so small and cheap. Also the ability to plug in headphones and CD/Ipod is very useful.

im going to be stepping on some toes here im sure, but honestly the line 6 studio 110 sounds just as good as most of the ampeg gear ive ever tried and just laughs at all the ashdown stuff.

its the main amp i use to demo basses and will be untill an unnamed music shop decides to stock some decent bass stuff . im considering buying one for myself just because they sound so silly good , if only other line 6 gear did the damage asmuch as this.

doug

Get an orange crush; trust me.

Reason 1; Sound. This thing is a tone monster. I could get entwhistle grit to lush blues tones and a splash of funk

Reason 2; Volume. My god this is loud. The drummers 20 watt one was being heard over a marshall avt100 watt jobby... and a maniac drummer

Reason 3; Price. There steals.

I've got a crush 35b on order, you wont regret it.

[quote name='christabel' post='9606' date='May 30 2007, 11:08 PM']Blimey!

I
2. Simon73 - thank you very much for the birthday greeting (you must be a very nice young man!)
and....
3. I took all your advice on board and spent a few hours on Saturday afternoon checking out various amps. I settled on an Eden Nemesis N8 because it sounded the best when I hooked my bass up to it. I'm sure some of you will knock my choice (that's fine btw) but for me, right now, this is the amp for me.

Kathryn[/quote]

My god, young man, thankyou! Have not been called that in a while. Was accused of going through a mid life crisis at work today at the ripe old age of 34! (The cheek of it).

As for your amp choice, good on you, you have tried something and found what you like, thats what it's all about. Have fun with it.

Simon

I'd really recommend trying any amp out before buying. I went to Andertons today to try out the Line 6 110, and despite really wanting to love it, i couldn't get a decent sound out of it for love or money. May be down to me (user error - there a fair few controls) or the new roundwounds on the bass I was using but it sounded very metallic to my ears, even on the 'clean' and 'R&B' settings...but then again we're all different so worth checking out a range of options.