Why become a member? ×

My old P stinks...literally!

IJE

You could one of those fridge smell eliminators in the case with it. It's basically a tub of bicarbonate of soda and will help remove smells from both bass and case without the cleaning job that a bicarb bath would require. But a good clean with a silicone free household polish first won't hurt either. Body, neck and top and underside of scratchplate...

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1483539108' post='3208033']
Good point that about bi-carb. I wasn't proposing the OP scours the surface, simply to gently wipe it over.

And pmjos is also right that Lemon Oil will either float across the top, like and oil-slick on water, or do damage to a lacquered finish. The look of the bear wood becoming oiled-finish will also look odd.

Funny that nobody here has suggested lighter fluid. I know some folk swear by that for cleaning basses. I've not tried that, but it might lift of a load of old dirt and help a bit.
[/quote]

Didn't Jimi Hendrix use lighter fluid on his strat? :D

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1483539766' post='3208038']
Sand it down and get it resprayed.

No-one wants to see a tatty old bass anyway ;-)
[/quote]

True ;)

I'd say avoid any liquid/fluid that could soak into the bare wood or wick into cracks in the finish. My starting point would be a gentle wipe over with a soft cloth just barely dampened with white spirit immediately followed by a bit of 'heavy breathing'/buffing with a clean, dry cloth. Do an initial trial on a small area on the back of the body and see how it looks after a few hours first.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1483623867' post='3208750']
I'd say avoid any liquid/fluid that could soak into the bare wood or wick into cracks in the finish. My starting point would be a gentle wipe over with a soft cloth just barely dampened with white spirit immediately followed by a bit of 'heavy breathing'/buffing with a clean, dry cloth. Do an initial trial on a small area on the back of the body and see how it looks after a few hours first.
[/quote]
Any old cloth? Here's the 'science bit':
http://www.explainthatstuff.com/microfibercloths.html

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1483715886' post='3209502']
Any old cloth? Here's the 'science bit':
[url="http://www.explainthatstuff.com/microfibercloths.html"]http://www.explainth...ibercloths.html[/url]
[/quote]

My bass gets a wipe over with a microfiber after every gig. I also use it wrapped around and up/down the length of each string a few times. Only ever use a bit of dunlop polish if I'm re-stringing. Otherwise all cleaning is done with a microfiber, marvellous things, I tell ye'!

Cleans off sweat and dead skin....

And some newer technology that seems to be from USA but not common yet ( none in stock at Amazon)

[url="http://www.nanoroad.co.uk/auto-coatings/6-nano-towels.html"]http://www.nanoroad....ano-towels.html[/url]

On microfibre, one of our central heating radiators was pretty filthy where the dog rubs against it as she runs outside. Paper towel and some (non abrasive) worktop cleaner would not shift it, microfibre with same fluid did easily.

[quote name='IJE' timestamp='1483474362' post='3207506']
So...
I've recently bought a 73' P-bass from the original owner.

Bass came in the original case and both case and the bass smell pretty bad!
I suppose the case could be Febreezed and aired, but what about the bass?

Thanks!
[/quote]

It's the old glue in the case that stinks to high heaven. I'm dealing with the same issue.

The case smells exactly as if someone pissed in it.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483945957' post='3211236']
It's the old glue in the case that stinks to high heaven. I'm dealing with the same issue.

The case smells exactly as if someone pissed in it.

Blue
[/quote]
Probably fish glue or animal hide glue. Acoustic instruments still use this as it can be steamed apart to facilitate repairs, unlike modern glues. It is also said to sound better, but is no good for metal. :)
Early VW saloons used fish glue to hold the head lining, and used to stink, but that is all they could get post bombed out WW2