Why become a member? ×

Definitions

Lord Sausage

I'm looking to buy a new amp so I have been checking out a lot of old threads on here, reviews etc.

During my research i have come across people saying some amps are woolly, others saying they aren't. Also people saying things like the bass eq on an amp is 'musical'. I have also seen a compressor described as musical. ( don't really understand that one).

So please could you give your definitions on woolly and on things like eq and compressors being musical?

Cheers

They're not definitions, they're opinions - one bassist's 'woolly' is another's (I dunno..) 'smooth' !

I have no idea what a 'musical' compression or EQ is...except to say that the person describing it so likes it :)

Sorry, not much help but I'd say it's a matter of personal taste and it's best to try before you buy if you can.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1483468507' post='3207405']
I'd say it's a matter of personal taste and it's best to try before you buy if you can.
[/quote]

I agree. Everyone hears things differently. Don't rely on other people's opinions or definitions. If you can't try before you buy, at least try to find demo clip, and judge for yourself.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1483468507' post='3207405']
They're not definitions, they're opinions - one bassist's 'woolly' is another's (I dunno..) 'smooth' !

I have no idea what a 'musical' compression or EQ is...except to say that the person describing it so likes it :)

Sorry, not much help but I'd say it's a matter of personal taste and it's best to try before you buy if you can.
[/quote]
[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1483472004' post='3207467']
I agree. Everyone hears things differently. Don't rely on other people's opinions or definitions. If you can't try before you buy, at least try to find demo clip, and judge for yourself.
[/quote]
oh yeah i know, i was just interesting in finding out what people think is woolly or musical. I mean what is woolly supposed to mean.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1483474321' post='3207505']
oh yeah i know, i was just interesting in finding out what people think is woolly or musical. I mean what is woolly supposed to mean.
[/quote]

OK, provisos aside, woolly to me means lacking in definition and clarity. But not necessarily lacking in top end.

Edited by ahpook

People hear thing differently, then explain them differently.

I've never know what "dark" means.

Players are also capable of not being able to get a good sound out of gear. . . then they're just as likely to blame the gear. This seems to happen a lot with 5 string basses.

IMO woolly means lacking clarity, indistinct. Woolly seems to mean "vintage tone" to some.

To help you understand my opinion first you need to know about "my tone":

I use a Yamaha TRB5PII wich is a very open bass with a big freq. range from the sub-lows up to piano-like highs (i use D'Addario Prosteels for extra "zing"). I Like the way it sounds naturally, it's the tone i have in my head, i would describe it as "flat", i don't like to scoop mids or boost lows, in fact i like to HPF everything above 50Hz or even 80Hz when possible because i allways go through PA (let the subs do the heavy lifting) and i don't like to have those sub-lows on stage to muddy things. My rig consists of a Genz Benz STL-9.2 (wich has a build-in HPF on the poweramp stage - Class D :) ) and a Barefaced S12T, so it is as "flat" sounding as i could find.

I like to play at lower volumes with a very clean sound (except for when i use the pedals) without gain or valve drive and i like to hear everybody that's sharing the stage with me.

So here's my definitions:

[b]Whoolly[/b] - a tone that's scooped on the mid region and bumped on the lows. A tone that gives you no note definition and often results in a sensation of a muddy stage sound. Normally this tone is taken as a good tone when playing individually but when you add a band the notes will be lost in the mix only leaving a rumble all across the stage.

[b]Musical[/b] - a tone that's very rich in note definition to the point where you can percieve the notes harmonics but keeping a good low end that's strong enough to be felt without overpowering or muddying the rest of the freq. spectrum.

This is my definition, everybody has a diferent one because we all have diferent core tones inside our heads.
Hope it helps, cheers

Edited to add a couple of lines.

Edited by Ghost_Bass