Why become a member? ×

Are you a bigot?

BaggyMan

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1483700190' post='3209325']
I'm slightly confused how a thread about ageism - where the OP illustrated his point with some examples of discriminatory attitudes we [i]wouldn't[/i] tolerate - has become one about racism.
[/quote]

The original post contains questions on race in the first or second paragraph

Well I have a personal strategy. Aging rocker seems to be a disparaging term so I have moved more towards jazz over the past years, got myself a DB. Jazz seems to be delightfully non ageist and predominantly non racist.

also.........

A friend of mine Reg who is a keyboard player and has toured with the likes of Lenny Kravitz and many others, has a gold disk or two on the wall and happens to be nearly 70. He is white, blind and not only plays the most fantastic keys he can sing the nuts off most youngsters. He has no problems at all getting a gig and is still touring. He's a good benchmark.

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1483706721' post='3209379']
Well I have a personal strategy. Aging rocker seems to be a disparaging term so I have moved more towards jazz over the past years, got myself a DB. Jazz seems to be delightfully non ageist and predominantly non racist.

[/quote]
Not sure about that, take Peter King. If he was American (and black) he would be held in greater reknown than he currently is. IMO of course.

The classic rock covers band I used to play in is predominantly older guys but one of the drummers was a teenager who played with them until recently (he went to uni) , he fitted in brilliantly and had been a fan of the material since a young age.

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1483706721' post='3209379']

also.........

A friend of mine Reg who is a keyboard player and has toured with the likes of Lenny Kravitz and many others, has a gold disk or two on the wall and happens to be nearly 70. He is white, blind and not only plays the most fantastic keys he can sing the nuts off most youngsters. He has no problems at all getting a gig and is still touring. He's a good benchmark.
[/quote]

But, but, but what if you're jazzist?

I think there is an interesting point hiding away in this discussion.

The band thing is, in some ways, a cultural phenomenon that started as a 'four kids who grew up together and decide they want to be in a band and then allocate roles on the basis of stereotypes; the good looking one is the singer, the guy whose idea it was is the guitarist, the kid with glasses gets keyboards, the thick one is the drummer and the tall skinny one is the bass player'. They then go out and buy the gear and start to learn to play together before gradually drifting apart as they all begin to realise how hard it all is, get girlfriends ad jobs, leaving the bass player as the only one left doing it in their 50s' :lol:

Culturally, the above practice is likely to bring similar people together. A load of inner-city Black kids who listen to their parents reggae records are going to form a reggae band whilst the inner city White kids go down the indie route. The middle class kids in Canterbury, who all had classical music lessons as kids, form prog bands etc etc.

The motivation and drivers have changed over the years and splintered. One of these shards is made up of the kids who think that the way forward is to 'manufacture' the ideal band. These are the people who want the musicians they employ to 'fit' with the overall concept be that the right age, gender, height (I was once refused an audition with a name band for being too tall) etc. Prince had his 'pimp' thing going on but he would book people who weren't thin. he also booked women by the dozen. We now have front men as the only known artist backed by anonynous pros who can be thin, fat, tall or short because they are generally out of the spotlight. The point is, many of the acts out there now are not music, they are theatre and theatre is generally not covered by discrimination legislation because of the 'authenticity' clause. Indian waiters for Indian restaurants; female bass players for all-female bands.

Outside of the mainstream, there are thousands of bands that are multi-ethnic, multi-gender, a range of ages etc etc. In the last six months I have played with people/promoted gig with musicians who are Polish, Brazilian, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese, Lithuanian, Irish, Scottish and English. Several female players have appeared (not just singers but trumpters, saxophonists and pianists - I have played with some great female drummers over the years but not recently) and the age range is deeply encouraging. The issue that the OP raises is a genuine problem but only if you have the expectation that your demographic should not matter in any circusmtance. It doesn't in many, many situations. Jazz is the one I am involved with but Folk, Prog, World Music etc are all a lot less 'bigoted' than mainstream popular musics where the 'product' is not just the music but the whole package.

If you need amusician to be able to dance, I, for one, am screwed!!

Of course, the other thing is that older people are less available for intensive rehearsals, tours etc because they are more likely to have responsibilities that prevent them from being away from home. It's not the age, it's the differing priotities.

Re: Peter King - I said at the time. At 75 years old and barely able to walk, PK kicked my arse BIG TIME.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1483700538' post='3209331']
The original post contains questions on race in the first or second paragraph
[/quote]

What - the examples of discriminatory attitudes that we reasonably wouldn't tolerate, used to highlight the fact no-one bats an eyelid at ageism? ;)

Apropos of nothing - I might be a bigot. In the event I decide to return my band to a gigging format, we might need to find a drummer. I think I'd struggle with anyone under 40-odd. Does that count?

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1483725451' post='3209652']

What - the examples of discriminatory attitudes that we reasonably wouldn't tolerate, used to highlight the fact no-one bats an eyelid at ageism? ;)

Apropos of nothing - I might be a bigot. In the event I decide to return my band to a gigging format, we might need to find a drummer. I think I'd struggle with anyone under 40-odd. Does that count?
[/quote]

I don't know what the answers are or what the thread is really about , just pointing out to Op sites race and age in the Post , so it's on topic , whatever that is .

I recently started a band where two of us are tiny people and two of us are giants. As soon as I posted our band shot on Facebook I was overwhelmed with accusations of 'heightism' and bigotry. The twitterverse went mental and West Midlands Police cautioned me for possible 'hate crimes'.

The band has now split up before fulfilling anywhere near its potential. So thanks a bundle, world. We could have changed society's prejudices but it's too late now.

C**ts.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1483730302' post='3209708']

I recently started a band where two of us are tiny people and two of us are giants. As soon as I posted our band shot on Facebook I was overwhelmed with accusations of 'heightism' and bigotry. The twitterverse went mental and West Midlands Police cautioned me for possible 'hate crimes'.

The band has now split up before fulfilling anywhere near its potential. So thanks a bundle, world. We could have changed society's prejudices but it's too late now.

C**ts.
[/quote]

That's just like us! Two mid five footers and two fekin giants! Drummer's always look the same size so they don't count!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1483730302' post='3209708']

C**ts.
[/quote]

Cults right?

Harharharhar

I know. Thing is, we had the whole thing structured to underline our disdain for misogyny, hatred and division. Four of us, OK?

* Two whites, one black, one from mid-east.

* One gay, one straight, one bi-sexual, one straight-edge celibate

* A Christian, a Jew , a Muslim and an atheist who'd previously been a pantheist which was a bit of a jolt for him, having to go straight through monotheism without stopping.

* A vegan, a vegetarian, a fruitarian and a carnivore who spurned vegetables.

It would have been a Blue Mink-styled 'Melting Pot' of hope for the 21st century if a bunch of fascist snowflakes hadn't ruined everything.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1483725451' post='3209652']
I think I'd struggle with anyone under 40-odd. Does that count?
[/quote]

Is that inches tall or stones in weight?

From an ad on Bandmix:

[i][color=#101010]I'm looking for other members who are preferably no older than 30 (as im 22), who have similar taste musically and who are pretty openminded.[/color][/i]

[i][color=#101010] :lol:[/color][/i][i][color=#101010] [/color][/i]

Having celebrated my other 40th over four years ago and having spent a good number of those either as a member, or latterly depping in wedding/party/ function/covers bands. That seems to have dried up a bit of late and although the money is good and I quite enjoy them most of the time, I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for this.
It seems that the "pro" ones are mainly thirty something blokes in waistcoats and often beards and sometimes a svelte young lady or two. Probably more suited to the target audience demographic for weddings especially.
Much as i can keep up musically I don't want to be the fat old git at the back who doesnt quite fit in.
I am however happily playing with several other old gits of a similar age and experience in a couple of other bands
Nothing non pc or ageist as far im concerned. Just horses for courses

Edited by lonestar