Why become a member? ×

That awful feeling when you let some gear go.!!

bubinga5

I've got a cab for sale. And I'm absolutely gutted. I've had it for quite some time and I love it. But after being made redundant and having a mortgage to pay. I've got to let it go. Has lots sentimental value and sounds incredible. Hopefully it won't sell and fate will intervene. The thing is I've let basses go that I've made a huge mistake doing. I once let a Sei Jazz bass go for £900 7 years ago because I was in the same situation. Desperate.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1483473724' post='3207496']
Sorry for your situation, but as Dave says it's just stuff.

When you're back on your feet there will be better stuff to buy.

Good luck.
[/quote]

+1

Though it definitely hurts more having to sell treasured basses in times of need than with amps and cabs in my experience.

Sorry to hear about your situation though and wishing you a speedy upturn in your circumstances!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1483467587' post='3207394']It's just stuff, keeping your life together is more important. There's always more stuff when things pick up again.[/quote]

This is kinda where I sit. I sold off over 20 instruments when I got divorced a few years back. Never regretted any of it and the couple of things I missed, I bought new versions as life picked up. Life is peaks and troughs so look to the highs when you are in the lows.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483448760' post='3207168']
I've got a cab for sale. And I'm absolutely gutted. I've had it for quite some time and I love it. But after being made redundant and having a mortgage to pay. I've got to let it go. Has lots sentimental value and sounds incredible. Hopefully it won't sell and fate will intervene. The thing is I've let basses go that I've made a huge mistake doing. I once let a Sei Jazz bass go for £900 7 years ago because I was in the same situation. Desperate.
[/quote]

Edited by gareth

Had to sell my Warwick SS1 5er for financial reasons a few years ago.
When I bought it new though, it cost about 1/3 of what what it would cost to buy now so not much chance of ever replacing it sadly.

Fortunately it allowed we to try a few other (less expensive) things and I'm now actually really loving my budget P, J and Ray basses. It's never nice to have your hands forced but sometimes these things give us the opportunity to broaden our horizons and try new things we'd otherwise never have tried.

A few years ago I was made redundant just as my daughters wedding was coming up.
I had to sell my Ric CS.

[URL=http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/CS4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/gelfin5959/CS4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The guy who bought it promised that I would have first refusal if he ever sold it. He offered it back at twice the price I sold it.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1483565885' post='3208388']
A few years ago I was made redundant just as my daughters wedding was coming up.
I had to sell my Ric CS.

[URL=http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/CS4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/gelfin5959/CS4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The guy who bought it promised that I would have first refusal if he ever sold it. He offered it back at twice the price I sold it.
[/quote]
Kinell........ greedy bastard.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1483565885' post='3208388']
I had to sell my Ric CS.

[url="http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/CS4.jpg.html"][/url]

[/quote]

What a complete and utter shi*e.

Earlier this year I sold the P bass which had been my main bass for the last 10 years, and which had come with me to gigs in Ireland, Poland and across the UK.

I was gutted and to make matters worse it was on the shop website for a few weeks afterwards tormenting me, until someone bought it.

Shame but that's life sometimes.

sh*t happens alright fellas. When I start thinking about stuff like this and how I felt when I lost or had to sell something that I thought was important I stick on Schindlers list. It doesn't take long before things fall into perspective.

That said I'm really sorry you had to sell your guitar in the circumstances you did.

Most of my financially driven seller's remorse has been motorbike based..... But there was one exception.

Back in the early 90s I was a budding teenage guitar hero, and all the guitar magazines told me my solid state Marshall combo wasn't good enough, and that I definitely NEEDED a proper 100 watt valve stack. I'd managed to acquire a couple of tatty cabinets on the cheap from a mate and then finally spotted a cheap valve head in the free ads. Can't remember how much exactly, but think it was around £100 or so... Maybe even less.

Stuck with it for a bit, but it just didn't do metally distortion like the old Marshall did. It'd do some nice crunch tones, but just needed to be sooooo loud to work properly I lost interest in it and convinced myself I needed another Marshall again.

So I flogged it to the bass player from the band I was in at the time.. and it seemed to work loads better for him than it ever had for me. I got back exactly what I'd paid for it, and everyone was happy... .

Until about 20 years later, when I'd started playing again, and on the bass this time. I had a bit of a hankering to get another head like the one I'd let go all those years ago, so fired up the internet and got ready to seek out another bargain.

It turns out that since the advent of the internet, it's much harder to find a Hiwatt head for £100ish. D'Oh! Ah well, eh?

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483448760' post='3207168']
[/quote]

Cash is tight for me doing this for a living.

I'm thinking of selling my Gibson Gold Top Les Paul Bass. It has to be worth almost 2 years of condo association fees.

Blue

Sold my Warwick streamer LX for 450 and my Warwick sweet 15 combo for about 100 because I was in a dead end job (taken after redundancy from a good job) and the sh!tty company wouldn't pay for me to do a training course. I did the course paying a grand of my own money and within a month or two had a new higher paid job, the end justified the means. It's all just stuff and life is definitely more important, I find I lust after this stuff just when I don't have enough other stuff to occupy my mind. Stuff comes back around or is forgotten about quite easily.

Edited by uk_lefty

Apart from letting my first bass go- a rather lovely, Hondo II R*ckeb@cker copy, in the words of Edith Piaf, "Je ne regrette rien". That may change, as my most recent instruments have been ones that I've Frankensteined together myself and as such, I'm a bit more attached to them. Hand on heart, aside from the first bass, I don't miss anything I've sold or traded.