Why become a member? ×

RIP Vic Davies

Billy Apple

So very sorry and upset to read Mike Brooks post on FB. Vic was a lovely guy who'd helped me out a number of times, always above and beyond the call of duty. Much love to his family and his Bass Gear family.

[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]It's with a very heavy heart and much sadness that I have to report that Victor Davies, formerly of Bass Gear in Twyford, passed away this morning, following several months fighting a very severe form of cancer. For those of us that knew him, he was a bright light, a friendly soul and a real pleasure to be around. He was also a wounderful friend, although I only knew him for a few years, he has left a lasting impression. A very sad day, he was so young.[/font][/color]

:(

Edited by Billy Apple

Thanks for putting this up Big Apple.

I got the call at midday today saying that he had passed away half an hour beforehand.

If people could please share their experiences with Vic and any funny stories/pictures etc, I'm going to put them all in a book for his family!

Met Vic on a couple of visits to Bass Gear when I bought my TH500 and my Mono Vertigo. Nice guy to talk to and always eager to help, never clocked he had Cancer, especially as he was youngster (compared to me anyway).

A sad loss for the world and the bass community... :(

Edited by louisthebass

This is very sad news.

I only met him a couple of time but Vic was a great guy. Always friendly and always helpful. . . even after I'd been playing the same riffs for 2 hours comparing my Lull to a couple of other basses in the shop.

[quote name='BigJim' timestamp='1483448575' post='3207165']
If people could please share their experiences with Vic and any funny stories/pictures etc, I'm going to put them all in a book for his family!
[/quote]

I scored a Jule Monique and Demeter Minnie on the forum. BG were kind enough to let me have it delivered to the shop. Vic gave it a good check over, showed me how everything worked and how to get the best out of it. We also tried it with a few different cabs. He told me it was bang-on and that I'd got a good deal. At no time did he try to get me to consider another amp or try to sell something else. Was probably there for 2 hours! He was just immersed in the whole bass-thing.

I did buy something from BG eventually! :blush:

Top chap. :)

I only met Vic the once, when I visited the shop on a bank holiday a couple of years back. He had the kettle on for me before I'd even fully stepped foot into the shop! Needless to say he was a warm and welcoming character, very helpful and easy to chat to. You could tell that he had a passion for it, and that he was 'one of us'; a bassist and musician. Really did seem a genuinely lovely person. Thoughts are with his family and friends tonight.

once I realised bassgear existed and was only 20 minutes from my house Vic was the go to man about anything bass. I'm not great with set ups and lots of buttons on amps etc.
He was the most chilled out person ever. He would deal with my silly questions and stupid accents I would put on down the phone. He was a true gent and I will miss him.

I've been holding back saying anything about Vic because it's all a bit too personal and I'm really torn up about it but one thing I'd like to mention here is how important Vic was in 'discovering' new products in the bass world. Especially in the area of amplification.

He was instrumental in bringing over things like the Julie Monique, Demeter integrated heads, Suncoast preamps, tks Engineering cabs and quite a few more.

His ear for voicing on these was absolutely wonderful and he had a knack of being able to hear, and explain, subtle differences between amps and cabs - even down to marginally different tones from amps of the same make but with different power stages.

He also had a great vision for exactly what he wanted from his personal setup and I'm pleased to say he was able to realise this just days before his passing.

I've yet to view his personal custom bass but, even in his absence, I'm very excited about seeing it. I just wish he could have been there so I could hear him play it through his beloved Monique :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1483611606' post='3208615']
I've yet to view his personal custom bass but, even in his absence, I'm very excited about seeing it. I just wish he could have been there so I could hear him play it through his beloved Monique :(
[/quote]
I would like to see his personal bass - I know he was excited about it all, only got the tease shot of the packaging.

Vic served me on my only trip to BG - and I came away with a Demeter head.

I was not bothered about what cabs I tried it with, but he insisted, not only in digging out the same cabs I used, but also making sure they were stacked in the same way. That attention to detail set him apart from many music shop people.

RIP.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1483616354' post='3208653']

I would like to see his personal bass - I know he was excited about it all, only got the tease shot of the packaging.
[/quote]

I'll try and get a picture at some point. It's a real 'one of a kind' custom build and we worked together on the specs.

Apart from one major feature I've been waiting to see it as I was going to get something based on the same lines.

I asked Gareth (Vic's brother) if given time, he wouldn't mind sharing a few photos of Vic's bass as there are a large number of us who would love to see it.

After all the times I heard about how it was going to look and what spec he'd settled on finally, I'd dearly like a chance to see it just once, even if it's without the great man himself playing it :(

I met Vic a fair few times on pilgrimages back and forth to Bass Gear. He was a great bloke, so much so we kept in touch on Facebook and chatted Bass stuff and humour.

I was gutted to hear of his passing. My thoughts are with his family and close friends. RIP mate, you were a good un.

Thats just too sad - I'm absolutely shocked.

I met Vic on quite a few occasions at the BassGear shop and as other have mentioned above heMonique was always friendly, cheerful and smiling. I remember him demonstrating my Monique for me with great enthusiasm when i called in to the shop to collect it.

RIP my bass friend

I'm visiting his family today and will show these. Any stories etc for the scrap book guys would be amazing.

I'm also going to see his personal bass he had commissioned for his 30th which arrived just before his passing and will ask to take pictures but can't promise anything.

Vic is also responsible for my set up and I never let him live it down! I met him the first time both of us went into BG in 2011 and i knew from then that he was an amazing spirit.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' timestamp='1486037426' post='3228645']
Nice piece in Bass Guitar Magazine this month.

[/quote]

I've found it difficult to contribute to the thread and it was tough reading this, but yes really beautiful words from another good friend. Vic's Facebook profile picture I will always have imprinted reminding me of a day we spent laughing together. RIP Vic, indeed, a very fine gentleman.