Why become a member? ×

Pub Gigs, where is it all going?

Phil Starr

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1483463897' post='3207354']
Probably the most worrying question is

Why are there so few young bands playing pubs?
[/quote]

Maybe younger bands don't see pub gigs as the way forward, but a dead end street.

If they want to achieve fame and fortune, it'll only be with a label, producer or lucky enough to have a video noticed on YouTube

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1483463897' post='3207354']
Probably the most worrying question is

Why are there so few young bands playing pubs?
[/quote]because not enough young people go in Pubs? not encouraged are they? a friends 17 year old daughter likes to come and see the band I play in (with her Dad), half the time she can't get in the pub, never mind no under 18's most of them have a no under 21's rule, she is the exception though, most youngsters seem more interested in Video games, and why not? nothing stays the same

I know there are plenty of young bands out there, my daughter is never short of gigs to go to at weekends, and she'll travel the length of the country to catch a band I've never heard of, which is just how it was when I was a teenager/ in my early twenties. They'll always have a different circuit for people creating the music of the next generation. I didn't see many over 20's when I was watching a developing Supertramp or a youngish Mark Knopfler before anyone had heard of them. At that age I wasn't interested in covers bands either.

If anything depresses me it's the young people in covers bands covering 70's material which even if you are 40 was written before you were born and ignoring the last twenty years of music.

So what do you reckon? Would more people go and see pub bands if the fare was a little more varied? Or if it was properly promoted?

There's a lot of laziness within musicians and a surprising lack of imagination.

How many of us have heard the 'but we don't have keyboards/drum machine/strings/brass so we can't play that song'?

Complete lack of imagination.

I played on Boxing Night at our local in our annual jam session. It was rammed with people of all ages and musicians of all ages played.

It's a lot easier to play three chord guitar band tunes from the 60s and 70s than it is to play anything from to 80s-00s. (And you'd have to pay me an awful lot of money to play Oasis!)

The originals circuit is still full of 17 yo in bands seeking fame.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1483524103' post='3207824']

It's a lot easier to play three chord guitar band tunes from the 60s and 70s than it is to play anything from to 80s-00s.

[/quote]

That's because so much of the "music" of the 80s-00s was either pressing the occasional button on a pre-programmed sequencer or simple re-treads of great original music from the 60s and 70s.

Next?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1483528505' post='3207867']

That's because so much of the "music" of the 80s-00s was either pressing the occasional button on a pre-programmed sequencer or simple re-treads of great original music from the 60s and 70s.

Next?
[/quote]

If it has a melody and lyric then it can be played on guitar.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1483529188' post='3207879']
That don't make it good.

Just playable.
[/quote]

One of the covers bands I'm in does newer, dance-y stuff - most of which I'd never heard 'cos I live under a crusty rock - by Avicii, One Republic, etc with guitars bass and drums, and it goes down very well, and it's good fun to play.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1483528505' post='3207867']

Next?
[/quote]

That's easily the most depressing and wildly inaccurate point of view I've seen since joining this forum. There was (and always is) plenty of great playing on rock and pop records and just as much dreck to accompany it. Please don't let this be a 'music stopped in 1979' forum. There are enough of those in the HiFi world.

Well, I've just started rehearsing with a covers band, and am quite enjoying playing Gary Numan's "Cars". The Cure's "A Forest", the Vapors "Turning Japanese, the Jam's "Start" and that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure they are all as passe to you covers band chaps as "Mustang Sally", but it makes a nice change from my blues band. Although I really enjoy that too.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1483461233' post='3207319']
Back in the 1980s in Norwich (when I used to be out drinking with my mates fairly often) I don't remember ever seeing a live band in a pub. If we wanted music we paid to go into a "proper" music venue.

Perhaps there were plenty of pubs with live bands, but I must have missed them all.

Nowadays there are plenty of pubs putting on gigs. Most of them do seem to be covers bands with a good half of their set exactly the same as every other band.

Maybe there was a peak in live music somewhere in the last 20-odd years and it's declined since then, but the scene seems far more vibrant than it was in my youth.
[/quote]

Seriously? I grew up in Norwich and started going out drinking in the 80s. Norwich had an extremely vibrant music scene then. The 'Venue Campaign' (85 - 87 approx) led to a huge upswing in pub gigs - with bands trying to meet the council's fundraising threshold for financing a dedicated city center music venue (what became the Waterfront). I can recall ton of pub based stuff in the Mischief Cellars, The Lawyer (Lee Vasey had a Sunday residency), Golden Star (trad Jazz), (Gundry) Whites (loads of Prog and other rock), The Festival House (Metal), The Oval (which was owned by Iron Maiden), The Brickmakers (rock and metal), Red Lion on Magdalen Street (a frankly terrifying place, but they put on R&B every week), The Ferry Boat Inn. These are just off the top of my head and I know there are others, because I played them myself. That's ignoring the weekday gigs in Nightclubs and Wine Bars (Ritzy/Madisons, Pennies, Santanas/Jacquard, whatever that wine bar behind Anglia TV was called) and less obvious drinking venues like the Labour Club, UEA Barn, Theatre Royal Studio and the bar of the Art's Centre (not the performance area, which of course is a whole different story)... It was a cool place to live for live music! We obviously drank in different pubs.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1483536297' post='3207991']
Hell no! Not even close!

:lol:
[/quote]

Well, he is "No Longer A Newbie" so cut him some slack, Jack (see what I did there!) perhaps he hasn't had a chance to fully immerse himself in the "Precision or Jazz" , "Fender is for mutants" or "Flatwounds are for dullards" threads yet. But don't worry, they'll be round a gain soon and he can find out what a depressing or wildly inacurate point of view [i]really[/i] is.
Happy new year, all!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1483529476' post='3207883']
One of the covers bands I'm in does newer, dance-y stuff - most of which I'd never heard 'cos I live under a crusty rock - by Avicii, One Republic, etc with guitars bass and drums, and it goes down very well, and it's good fun to play.
[/quote]I'm even older and crustier than you and I cover their songs in a couple of bands. There's so much good fun stuff to cover out there. A lot of modern pop is fun to play for the bassist and drummer because of a lot of happily varied rhythms :). Max Martin alone has offered up a whole load of eminently coverable and popular songs, probably the wedding fare of the future but fun to play whilst it is fresh.

The other upside of these songs is that it often gets a segment of the audience on your side.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1483492291' post='3207697']
So what do you reckon? Would more people go and see pub bands if the fare was a little more varied? Or if it was properly promoted?
[/quote]

I reckon you have hit the nail on the head Phil. I was in a local not long ago that had a band on and I heard a couple of the locals talking and the discussion went something along the lines:
" Great band but we heard it all last week and the week before. Why can't bands come up with something different? "
The North West pub scene is swamped with "Classic" Rock Bands who all seem to have a similar set list. Punters generally like a bit of variety but until bands provide that and Landlords get away from only putting rock bands on the scene will continue to dwindle.
You are also right about the promotion side. Too many people going into the pub game thinking it is easy. It isn't and if you are trying to cover the cost of a band you need to promote, promote, promote. Half the time they can't even be bothered to put the posters up you have provided.
There are some cracking music venues in the NW that have been going for years and get it just right.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1483536662' post='3207993']
Well, he is "No Longer A Newbie" so cut him some slack, Jack (see what I did there!) perhaps he hasn't had a chance to fully immerse himself in the "Precision or Jazz" , "Fender is for mutants" or "Flatwounds are for dullards" threads yet. But don't worry, they'll be round a gain soon and he can find out what a depressing or wildly inacurate point of view [i]really[/i] is.
Happy new year, all!
[/quote]

Well I post on various HiFi forums and the same attitude prevails - music stopped in 79, modern music is all rubbish, the only real rock is classic rock etc. Given the centrality of Bass to dub, fusion, post-punk, soul, disco and practically every other non -classic rock genre, I'd kinda hoped for a more highly evolved debate. I do own some tort though... although I keep it hidden.. and a Jazz and a non Fender bass... and some flats and some rounds. We'll see how this goes.