Why become a member? ×

January Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[color=#4b0082][size=5][b]January's Composition Challenge is now underway![/b][/size][/color]

[size=5]Here's the image for your inspiration, chosen by November's winners [b]the boy[/b] and [b]Lord Sausage[/b]...[/size]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=5]Click on the 'Spoiler' button below to read the usual rules and caveats:[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][spoiler]By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat Terms and Conditions and Forum Guidelines, which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive. [/b]If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track [/b](ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/spoiler][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you have any questions, just ask.[/font][/color]

[color=#800080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=5][b]The deadline for entries is midnight on Tuesday 24th January.[/b][/size][/font][/color]

The picture for me, is a question. Well it's two questions but I can't decide which one. Is he coming from something or going to something? They conjur up two very different themes. He is still just a cowboy on a horse but has he just shot up a town or is he heading off to a shoot em up situation. I can't decide.

I was just reviewing my Soundlcoud page and realised that there are at 30 compositions on there that would not have been written were it not for these challenges. The quality is distictly variable, of course, but the learning has been invaluable. One wonders how many tunes have been written across the Basschat fraternity because of this. Whoever had the idea for this thread is a frickin' genius.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1483892197' post='3210903']
I was just reviewing my Soundlcoud page and realised that there are at 30 compositions on there that would not have been written were it not for these challenges. The quality is distictly variable, of course, but the learning has been invaluable. One wonders how many tunes have been written across the Basschat fraternity because of this. Whoever had the idea for this thread is a frickin' genius.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more.

Mine vary from 'poor' to 'very poor' but it's been a great learning experience and I've really enjoyed it and I would never have got into it without this thread.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1483891225' post='3210894']
Here's my entry: three acoustic guitars playing a country blues kind of vibe.

http://soundcloud.com/robert-palmer-1/way-to-go
[/quote]
Great start Mr B. In my eyes you can do no wrong lately. I had always envisaged the pic involving some desperate deed, past or yet to come however your composition suggests he's simply heading down the pub for a few beers and it works fantastically. Well done.

Whoever had the idea for this thread is a frickin' genius.
[/quote]

Credit to [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/1247-charic/"]Charic[/url] for that stroke of genius! :)

He's been quiet here of late, but still lurking in the BC Admin department, doing genuisy things...

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1483965199' post='3211421']
Credit to [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/1247-charic/"]Charic[/url] for that stroke of genius! :)

He's been quiet here of late, but still lurking in the BC Admin department, doing genuisy things...
[/quote]
think he is wedding planning and working on an album or something

i've got an idea in my head for this, a concept at least, but finding the time to settle in to do it over the other musical endeavours i'm trying to get sorted is the issue.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1483970635' post='3211520']
i've got an idea in my head for this, a concept at least, but finding the time to settle in to do it over the other musical endeavours i'm trying to get sorted is the issue.
[/quote]

Yeah I’ve been a bit lax with the BC challenge recently… not through any lack of enthusiasm, but lack of time!

I’m involved in various remixing projects on another forum [i](I know, I’m such a floozy!)[/i] and am really enjoying them. My ‘plan’, in a loose sense, is to continue working on remixes for a while yet and then return to producing more of my own material later this year. Hopefully I can fit in more Basschat challenges around that as I go - work and the demands of [s]feral[/s] darling young children notwithstanding ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1483973817' post='3211560']
Yeah I’ve been a bit lax with the BC challenge recently… not through any lack of enthusiasm, but lack of time!

I’m involved in various remixing projects on another forum [i](I know, I’m such a floozy!)[/i] and am really enjoying them. My ‘plan’, in a loose sense, is to continue working on remixes for a while yet and then return to producing more of my own material later this year. Hopefully I can fit in more Basschat challenges around that as I go - work and the demands of [s]feral[/s] darling young children notwithstanding ;)
[/quote]
im trying to turn my demo's into something more like an album.

whilst my old band are reforming to record an album and gig.

neither of which is going well currently...

I missed a couple of months because I was recording bass parts for an album. I have recently heard the full mixes and some of it sounds awesome. The bass parts were recorded in my garden shed but sound totally professional!! Sometimes, the BCC has to take a back seat.

[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1483899711' post='3210976']
I couldn't agree more.

Mine vary from 'poor' to 'very poor' but it's been a great learning experience and I've really enjoyed it and I would never have got into it without this thread.
[/quote]

Et moi aussi !

Edited by fingers211

[/quote]

couldnt agree more, getting involved with this little challenge has given me a reason to write things. i have been messing for years for my own pleasure but it was mostly just putting ideas in the bank for possible future use. having a definitive focus is great and has pushed me to get a better understanding of my gear and to try out some different genres. as is evidenced by my entries i still have loads to learn but i am a lot happier to try. for someone who doesnt play in bands and has no wish to gig its great for my efforts to have a point beyond getting ideas out of my head only to sit gathering digital dust in some forgotten hard drive folder.

i may be unleashing my inner geek a little, but isnt that a screenshot from red dead redemption? not that that would be a bad thing, that game has some great musical moments.
got a couple of ideas, a bit limited by the gear at the moment. for some reason my electric acoustic has developed an irritating popping sound that shows up randomly to ruin a take. dont know why, obviously the electrics are giving out. not having much luck with my gear at the moment :angry: . so i am down to the mic for recording the acoustic which is always a faff. i will figure something out though.

[/quote]
[quote name='christofloffer' timestamp='1484071599' post='3212456']
couldnt agree more, getting involved with this little challenge has given me a reason to write things. i have been messing for years for my own pleasure but it was mostly just putting ideas in the bank for possible future use. having a definitive focus is great and has pushed me to get a better understanding of my gear and to try out some different genres. as is evidenced by my entries i still have loads to learn but i am a lot happier to try. for someone who doesnt play in bands and has no wish to gig its great for my efforts to have a point beyond getting ideas out of my head only to sit gathering digital dust in some forgotten hard drive folder.

[/quote]

Absolutely, 46 tracks from me , that has just amazed me , before I started playing with this challenge I had never even used a DAW !

a MASSIVE thank you to everyone who has/is participating, for all the encouragement , support and even as simple as being the audience for the work that gets produced.

This is an incredible journey and long may it continue to inspire people like me who start without a clue, but just getting the confidence to make music and publish it is truly fantastic.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1484071569' post='3212455']Adam F7s. They're excellent[/quote]

[i]Very nice![/i] I've heard only good things about them... already on my 'wish list' :)

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1484080481' post='3212564']a MASSIVE thank you to everyone who has/is participating[/quote]

Yep, I'll ditto that. It's a fairly small cadre of people who get involved, but I think that's part of its charm. And we've created a huge amount of material over the years! For anyone interested, there's an archive of all the challenges to date [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/228445-basschat-composition-challenge-the-archive/"][b]here[/b][/url].

[quote name='christofloffer' timestamp='1484071599' post='3212456']
i may be unleashing my inner geek a little, but isnt that a screenshot from red dead redemption? not that that would be a bad thing, that game has some great musical moments.
[/quote]

Yes, a real nice, original score on that game.
RDR 2 out later this years as well. :)

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1484071569' post='3212455']
Adam F7s. They're excellent - I'm almost tempted to get some more instead of my hifi speaks, which had an rrp of £2600 more!

[/quote]
Oooh! I'd love a pair of those. I'm after a pair of monitors & struggling to get my budget past £100! I shall, but by how much is another story.

Anyway, I'm off to work on this month's composition. I've got the basics already done. :)