Why become a member? ×

Fretless Rock Tracks

Delberthot

On 05/06/2021 at 18:57, Hellzero said:

What about Steve DiGiorgio and Tony Franklin ?

On 02/01/2017 at 09:43, fleabag said:

Hows about this ? the FIRM's first album

Paul Rodgers / Jimmy Page with the excellent Tony Franklin on slippy bass duties

On 02/01/2017 at 09:43, fleabag said:

Edited by fleabag

On 02/01/2017 at 12:01, dmccombe7 said:

Good luck but please give it some serious thought before going down this route.
Could you maybe borrow a mates fretless to trial for a few weeks.
If not buy a very cheap fretless first and try it out before making a permanent change.

Dave

Yeah I second this because the initial euphoria might quickly wear off. Because of Pino P's playing on No Parlez I got a Dean fretless around 20 years ago. After the initial buzz of playing it wore off, I played it less and less as outside of PP I got little inspiration from anyone else. Eventually I sold it. Fast forward to  2015 and the urge took me again and I got a Cort fretless. I checked out the likes of Steve Bailey and Gary Willis for inspiration and while they are both top players I wasn't fired up enough as the music they play does nowt for me. I got my money back when I sold it just before C-19 hit. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yeah I second this because the initial euphoria might quickly wear off. Because of Pino P's playing on No Parlez I got a Dean fretless around 20 years ago. After the initial buzz of playing it wore off, I played it less and less as outside of PP I got little inspiration from anyone else. Eventually I sold it. Fast forward to  2015 and the urge took me again and I got a Cort fretless. I checked out the likes of Steve Bailey and Gary Willis for inspiration and while they are both top players I wasn't fired up enough as the music they play does nowt for me. I got my money back when I sold it just before C-19 hit. 

I go thru periods like that too. In 80's i had a fretless P then a WAL altho the WAL had a slector switch that gave you a click type sound similar to playing a fretted bass. I think it boosted a specific high frequency. I liked that. My Overwater has same. 

Also had a Jaydee fretless and Yamaha fretless but like you i get bored and lack inspiration mainly because its not the style of music i play in bands where a 4 string fretted just works better ........ for me anyways.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I go thru periods like that too. In 80's i had a fretless P then a WAL altho the WAL had a slector switch that gave you a click type sound similar to playing a fretted bass. I think it boosted a specific high frequency. I liked that. My Overwater has same. 

Also had a Jaydee fretless and Yamaha fretless but like you i get bored and lack inspiration mainly because its not the style of music i play in bands where a 4 string fretted just works better ........ for me anyways.

Dave

A fretless can be played much like a fretted...Jack Bruce comes to mind 

Sorry for the bit of blatant self-promotion, but this is me (on a fretless MM Bongo 5) on a track from our upcoming album (it's the only one I played fretless on, alas)... 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Musicman666 said:

A fretless can be played much like a fretted...Jack Bruce comes to mind 

You can but it doesn't quite have the same bite as a fretted. I am a Jack Bruce fan.

There are some bass players that have done a great job using fretless in rock but for me its easier using a fretted to play rock.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

16 hours ago, paul_5 said:

This thread’s been up a while and we haven’t mentioned Les Claypool.

Primus are a terrible racket

I corrected that for you. I fear this may be unpopular though and I might be alone in my strong dislike for Primus

On 02/01/2017 at 20:54, Winny Pooh said:

Alanah Miles' Black Velvet has some tasty playing on it FWIW

That record is a synth. I don't know why, it's dead easy and sounds better on a fretless. I like Tony Levin's playing, and Tony Franklin may be the best thing about The Firm