Why become a member? ×

Pre-EQ DI on amps

Lozz196

Probably an easy one here, but if you DI pre-eq from your amp, but you`re playing through an effects pedal, such as overdrive, chorus etc, does the DI signal to FOH still get the pedal as well as the bass? I can`t imagine how it wouldn`t, but I really am hopeless with technology, hence asking.

Yes of course, it would get anything coming into the input of the amp and occasionally the amp's gain control too.

Worth noting that they're usually before the effects loop though, just in case you have any effects in there.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1483302380' post='3206083']
Probably an easy one here, but if you DI pre-eq from your amp, but you`re playing through an effects pedal, such as overdrive, chorus etc, does the DI signal to FOH still get the pedal as well as the bass? I can`t imagine how it wouldn`t, but I really am hopeless with technology, hence asking.
[/quote]
If your signal is bass > pedals > amp then yes. It will just bypass your amps EQ.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1483353114' post='3206370']
I've found most soundguys prefer to take the DI from my Sansamp , so that in case of amp failure
they still have a feed.
( Before I used the Sansamp, many still rigged up a DI box anyway for the same reason. )
[/quote]
I do exactly the same, just seems easier all round. Surely you aren't going to get the tone of your amp this way though, it will just be your signal going through your pedals?

Theres one place that I play with a sound guy who refuses to take a DI from anything other than his own box and demands that the bass be plugged directly into it, then anything else you might have take its feed from the parallel out. In the past I've gone along with it as it wasn't worth the argument (just a bit annoying that you can't mute properly to tune) but next time will be fun as I've started using a Digitech Drop pedal instead of a dedicated bass for a second tuning we use. Hopefully I can make him stoop to using the sansamp on the end of my pedalboard or half the set is going to sound really odd out-front!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1483353670' post='3206378']
That`s my preference too , for exactly those reasons, but I`ve found a few who mention buzzing and ground-lift issues, even before I`ve plugged it in. Probably rotten electrics in the venue.
[/quote]

Definitely. I play some old theatres and occasionally get buzzing issues, and they always say it's my gear!
Same with PAT testing - if any venues ask for yours, always ask them to show you their safety certificate for supplying power.
Often get interesting excuses for that.