Why become a member? ×

De-flowering a Dano Longhorn.

Maude

• 2 months later...

I have actually finished this now. It was stringless for a while as I was undecided on what I wanted on there, and what will fit the stupid guitar tuners.

My strings of choice are D'addario half rounds so after some checking on where the windings end, the outer winding needs to go past the nut but finish fairly quickly as it won't go through the tuner and you can't have to many winds on the tuner post as they are so small, I found they'd fit so ordered a set. Now on they feel and sound great, good tension for a short scale. 

I like a thumbrest and the pickups weren't doing it for me so I toyed with getting a chrome one to match the hardware but wasn't sure. The black one I had didn't look good and then I thought, why not just paint it the same green, so I did. Then I couldn't find a suitable place as the design of theses basses means the strings are very close to the body so the standard plastic thumbrests actually sit higher than the strings, and to get enough clearance to play properly you need the thumbrest to far away from the strings to be comfy, well for me anyway. So I sanded the thumbrest down on an angle to lower the height in total and to get the string side lower still. Plenty of string clearance and comfy to play, perfect. 

AyoGCCB.jpg

komD20j.jpg

In fact the strings and thumbrest, coupled with the slim neck and featherweight body make this a super comfortable bass to play. 

Finished pictures. 

eQhbL41.jpg

3GEjApb.jpg

KMOVA6e.jpg

inhLFsC.jpg

fAkIeo8.jpg

The vacuum cleaner drive belt hanging system (pat pending). 

3aQRJXS.jpg

vpkJrSm.jpg

JvUAX3P.jpg

Ooh sparkles 😁

WnuxnMq.jpg

I've plugged and drilled the holes for the old strap pins as they were just taper fit and prone to coming loose, fitted a similar style but they are held on with screws like normal strap pins so are secure. 

vEOArt0.jpg

6WHMzJo.jpg

The following two photos are in normal light so better represent the true colour, it's hard to capture it properly. The picture with the flowers reflected in the scratchplate is the best likeness of the colour. 

r20jcAu.jpg

zPQsGnf.jpg

I've painted the bottom part of the control knobs black and have decided to leave the top yellowed plastic as the match the tuners. 

The only thing left to do is wire in a pickup series switch, but that's nothing exciting to look at. 

So there you go, my minty Longhorn. 🙂

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

That's really sharp, @Maude! Love it.

As you say, flared Tux and frills would set it off nicely! Satisfying spot of irony that the most accurate pic is one with a big floral image on the bass, too!

Are the D'addarios 45-65-80-100? Do the tensions balance well, as I usually find that all x0 or all x5s balance better than mixed sets?

Thank you. 😊

Yes that's the D'addario set, I think that's the only gauge of half rounds they do. I usually go for the enr72 which are 50 70 85 105 in long scale as I like a reasonable bit of tension being a bit of a gorilla when playing, so would've liked a higher gauge, but these are actually really nice. I haven't noticed any irregularities in tension between strings, but to be honest I don't tend to anyway, I just get on and play the thing. But nothing has stood out to me about them as being odd. 

Thank you 👍

The cream one is an 80s Hohner Arbor fretless P. It's got an unlined rosewood board and a partially finished mint scratchplate. Another one that's not finished, ha ha. 

BTW, you do realise you're on a bass forum and saying the Kay is definitely your favourite? 😂

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Thank you 👍

The cream one is an 80s Hohner Arbor fretless P. It's got an unlined rosewood board and a partially finished mint scratchplate. Another one that's not finished, ha ha. 

BTW, you do realise you're on a bass forum and saying the Kay is definitely your favourite? 😂

I can’t help it!  It looks the business!

Keep us updated on the fretless!

• Like 1