Why become a member? ×

After a 5 string

brummie

OK, Im thinking of dipping my toe into the murky waters of 5 string, I have a Fender Highway one jazz and and a Squire VM Jazz fretless already, quite like to get into funk and a booming 'B'.
I'm only willing to splash out £250 - £300 second hand just in case it doesn't work out & I think I'd like some active magic in the mix.
I only want some advise about what to start test driving before I buy, has anyone made this leap recently. I really really know nothing about 5 strings so
no sarcastic replies about only wanting somewhere to rest my thumb please.
but cheers in advance anyway.

I don't know enough about basses to answer your question. But, you have a Squier bass already, two Jazz basses, you want to dip your toe into 5 strings, you don't want to spend too much, and you want active.

What's wrong with the Squier DeLuxe Jazz Bass V Active? Not suitable for funk? Just curious, because assuming that you prefer Jazz basses, given my limited knowledge it seems like an obvious choice. Or, is it because with £250-300 to spend second hand, you're looking for a step above the £209 brand new Squier? Or are two Jazz basses enough?

I seriously considered the Squier DeLux Jazz Bass V Active when I was looking for a bass, and people who know more than me told me nice things about it.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I would recommend looking into ibanezes.

my experience of 5 strings came with swapping one of my basses with an ibanez K5, the korn signature model.

i found the jump from 4 to 5 to be seamless, although i am not really using the B string too much as we haven't written anything with it in mind. it does get used now and again!!

i find it very easy to play. so much so that it has became my main bass. i picked up a 4 the other night and it didn't feel 'right'!!

the other good thing about ibanezes right now is that they appear to be going very cheap second hand

I think you need to go and play as many as you can. One of the main "problems" people have when up-ing the string count is string spacing. There are (not many) that keep the 19-20mm of a four, and quite a lot that go to 16-18mm. Go find what feel good to you on that front. The Squier deluxe 5 is a good cheap intro into 5's though, as are many Ibanez's & Corts. Warwicks seem to be going for a song at the moment.

[quote name='tempo' post='307611' date='Oct 16 2008, 09:09 AM']I think you need to go and play as many as you can. One of the main "problems" people have when up-ing the string count is string spacing. There are (not many) that keep the 19-20mm of a four, and quite a lot that go to 16-18mm. Go find what feel good to you on that front. The Squier deluxe 5 is a good cheap intro into 5's though, as are many Ibanez's & Corts. Warwicks seem to be going for a song at the moment.[/quote]

Yeah, thats good advice.
when i went fully to 5 string in 2006 i found that although i did hit the wrong string every now and then for the first few gigs i also found i was missing the stings altogether sometimes.
It didnt take long to get used to the space on my 55-01 but it was something that puzzled me at the time.

I had a Squier 5 string P bass special and i hated it. The neck seemed so wide that it never left the house and hardly got played. In fact i gave it away after only a few months.
Not had any trouble with any other 5 string. I had a Steinberger XT-25 from music Yo just before that and that was lovely, as was a Honer B2A but i just never got on with the Fender.
This was about 5 years ago so i dont know if this is the same bass. It has two Jazz pups on it.

just my experience.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='307548' date='Oct 16 2008, 04:50 AM']I don't know enough about basses to answer your question. But, you have a Squier bass already, two Jazz basses, you want to dip your toe into 5 strings, you don't want to spend too much, and you want active.

What's wrong with the Squier DeLuxe Jazz Bass V Active? Not suitable for funk? Just curious, because assuming that you prefer Jazz basses, given my limited knowledge it seems like an obvious choice. Or, is it because with £250-300 to spend second hand, you're looking for a step above the £209 brand new Squier? Or are two Jazz basses enough?

I seriously considered the Squier DeLux Jazz Bass V Active when I was looking for a bass, and people who know more than me told me nice things about it.[/quote]

Hi,
I didn't know you could get a Squier Delux Jazz 5 for £209 !!

I think I'll do as suggested and test drive as many as I can, It is obvious I like Jazz basses isn't it, but will have to go for tighter string spacing if I want a similar size neck.

Cheers for the posts.

[quote name='brummie' post='307796' date='Oct 16 2008, 12:34 PM']Hi,
I didn't know you could get a Squier Delux Jazz 5 for £209 !!

I think I'll do as suggested and test drive as many as I can, It is obvious I like Jazz basses isn't it, but will have to go for tighter string spacing if I want a similar size neck.

Cheers for the posts.[/quote]

This is the bass i mentioned. Strange as they call it a P but it has Jazz pups.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_standard_pbass_special-02.htm?sid=4107bb7f725ac032a55dde96595c89cf"]Fender Squier P V[/url]

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='307924' date='Oct 16 2008, 03:02 PM']This is the bass i mentioned. Strange as they call it a P but it has Jazz pups.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_standard_pbass_special-02.htm?sid=4107bb7f725ac032a55dde96595c89cf"]Fender Squier P V[/url][/quote]

overpriced

get this

[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/38607/product.htm?gdftrk=gdfV2356_a_7c416_a_7c1181_a_7c38607"]http://www.dv247.com/invt/38607/product.ht...c1181_a_7c38607[/url]

[quote name='GЯДИК' post='307926' date='Oct 16 2008, 03:11 PM']overpriced

get this

[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/38607/product.htm?gdftrk=gdfV2356_a_7c416_a_7c1181_a_7c38607"]http://www.dv247.com/invt/38607/product.ht...c1181_a_7c38607[/url][/quote]

No its not.

Both are more or less the same price.
And as they are different basses i cant see how you can compare them. One s aP ones an active Jazz.
IME you get what you pay for.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='307924' date='Oct 16 2008, 03:02 PM']This is the bass i mentioned. Strange as they call it a P but it has Jazz pups.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_standard_pbass_special-02.htm?sid=4107bb7f725ac032a55dde96595c89cf"]Fender Squier P V[/url][/quote]
Oh, I had one of those, briefly. Anyone who likes Jazz necks would loathe the P special, it's probably even chunkier than modern Warwick necks.

In alliance with Barry44's post, I gotta say, you should look at Ibanezes...

For ~300 you could get great secondhand beauty...

Try looking at SR's; SRX's; BTB's; EDB's range... Some great basses out there, just, give serious attention to string spacing neck feel - there are few differences..

[quote name='Faithless' post='308456' date='Oct 17 2008, 11:32 AM']In alliance with Barry44's post, I gotta say, you should look at Ibanezes...

For ~300 you could get great secondhand beauty...

Try looking at SR's; SRX's; BTB's; EDB's range... Some great basses out there, just, give serious attention to string spacing neck feel - there are few differences..[/quote]

Plus have a look at the Ibanez ATK 305. Very nice bass for the money.

[quote name='simon1964' post='309115' date='Oct 18 2008, 11:05 AM']Plus have a look at the Ibanez ATK 305. Very nice bass for the money.[/quote]

I bought a Yamaha bb615 and I think it's pretty good for the price. Punchy sound, solid b - strings are pretty far apart, much more than my Jazz 5. I love the retro '80's look of the bb bases so I use it as my main workhorse.