Why become a member? ×

Sight reading help!

Basscabman

He all.

Prob a really stupid question but bear with me please.

Just started to learn to sight read and I completely fall to pieces when not In the key of C. (Not good I know)
I just can't seem to think quick enough when there are sharps or flats. Am I missing some trick here or Is It I just don't know the neck enough to think that quickly?

Say for Instance I'm reading a piece In A Major, I know there are three sharps In It but when I start to play through It I can't think quick enough to not make a mistake with one or more of the sharps!

Any help would be great folks as It's really doing me head In.

Cheers.

Geoff.

I recall when I started to learn to read my teacher advised me to not play the A,D and G string open. With this method I soon learnt the different positions for these three notes. Try this exercise. Play the scale beginning (C) on the 3rd fret of the A string using your 2nd finger to fret. Next 5th fret (D) of the A string with your 4th finger. Then 2nd fret of the D string (E) with your 1st finger, then 3rd fret of the D string (F) with your 2nd finger. Next 5th fret of the D string (G) with your 4th finger. Then 2nd fret of the G string (A) with your 1st finger. Fourth fret on the G string (B) with your 3rd finger and finally 5th fret of the G string (C) with your 4th finger to complete the octave. When you have played enough times that the fingering becomes 2nd nature using the same fingering start the scale on the eighth fret of the E string, the same scale of C. Now having learnt the scale of C still using the same fingering begin on the 5th fret of the E string (A).

Edited by wal4string

You've got to go back to basics. It's all about knowing what the written notes are and where they are on the fretboard. You've got to put in the hours. Just try C and one other key until you get it into your head, then add another. It doesn't matter if it takes a month as long as you assimilate it. Write the keys down with their sharps and flats as reminders. There are patterns in all this. If you can suss those playing in different keys becomes easier.

You already know the fret board so that's more than half the job done. When you started out you learned to play by taking things slowly. Now you've got to go back to slow and deliberate again. I'm the same with slap, modes and other bass playing stuff. I want to be playing at the speed I can play and not stumbling around as a beginner.

Have some lessons. A good teacher can show you more effective ways of achieving the technical side of bass playing.

Don't run before you can walk. Try the Bach Cello Suites. They are all in different keys and working through them one at a time can be a great way of getting used to the issue of key signatures.

What you are describing is just another thing that needs concerted practice.

Perhaps remind yourself (and your fingers) what e.g. A major scales and arpeggios feel like right before reading a piece in A? And/or go though the piece and write sharp signs over the Cs, Fs and Gs - I expect you'll soon "just know" that those notes are sharp by default after a the first few times.

You don't need a teacher, but it would help and might be quicker than battling to learn it yourself with forum help etc.

Don't run before you can walk - try some pieces in the key of C to start with. Before you do so, familiarise yourself with the scale of C major, including the notes lower than C because they're bound to turn up!!) and find some music without accidentals in - you can worry about these later.

www.sightreadingfactory.com is a good resource.

Then find some stuff in the key of G; then F (ie 1 sharp, then 1 flat). Once again, start off by putting your hand in the position for that scale, then each note will already be underneath your fingers.

Then progress to 2 sharps/flats, then 3 sharps/flats, etc etc

Much later on, you can also do 4-7 sharps/flats, minor keys (which will probably use the harmonic or melodic minor scale - ie have accidentals) then pieces with other accidentals in chromatic runs or modulations or other notes not found in the original key etc. Also you'll come across pieces where its necessary to change position - there is a skill in itself in being able to sight read pieces where a positional change is needed, and knowing when to do it. There's normally at least 3 different ways a piece can be played, there's a skill in knowing/working out which one is better. But that's for much later on!!

Thanks all.
I'll do what you said paul and practice In F and G then move on from there.
I'm using Sight Reading Factory and can read and play Level 3 at 70 bpm pretty comfortably In the key of C so will just do the same In F & G till I get the same speed and comfort.

Cheers # b

Edited by Basscabman

Sounds good....remember that unlike some other instruments, the bass guitar (and normal guitar) have no real issues playing in any key, because the fretboard is just a uniform bunch of notes....okay Eb and Bb are a little more awkward; and the ones with open strings are a bit easier. For example a pianist hates too many flats or sharps because of the black keys, and a clarinet doesn't like too many either due to needing to use keys instead of regular fingerholes.

So, there only thing making playing in (for example) in D# minor more difficult, is your own brainpower. And....you get good at what you practice, so if you deliberately practice sight reading with many sharps or flats, it will eventually become just as approachable as C major.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the best ways to understand a key signature is to write your own baselines. Use something like Realplayer and create a few basic chord progressions and then write your own baselines.

Or find some tracks: http://www.songkeyfinder.com/songs-in-key/a-major

And transcribe some of these.