Why become a member? ×

Make the jump from 4 to 5 or just keep switching?

Deedee

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1482835137' post='3202937']
Also don't fall into the trap of thinking, that song was originally played on a 4 so I'll play it on a 4 as well. You can play any song on a 5.
[/quote]

This is true.In general I only play 5 strings (although I got a 4 the other day, as I wanted a thunderbird), and I was playing masterblaster on it as it was originally played on a 4 string, with a shift in hand position on the way down. It occurred to me the other day if I play it on all 5 strings, I don't need the shift in position and it is a lot easier. It is odd that hadn't occurred to me before!

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1482860127' post='3203119']
My first bass was a 5, initially "because I fancied it", and I loved it, and still do - it kept me motivated when the learning got hard, and still does. It was a while before I started using the B string to real effect, but it was there to ease into, rather than at some point deciding to make the switch and struggling with it.

I do have two 4s, a Jazz Aerodyne and a GMR fretless, and I love the sound and feel and look of both far too much to get rid of them just because they're missing the B string :) I don't have a problem switching between them now, although I did at first.

Just out of curiosity, what model of GMR and where did you get it? They're a bit like hen's teeth, and not as widely respected as they deserve to be.
[/quote]

Hiya Josie

Mine is an older Polish made one, some say late 90's others early 2000's. It has Warwick hardware too. I traded my lovely 91 NT Thumb 4 for it (GMR + cash) and it has a bit in common with the Thumb which is all good. Lovely bubinga and MEC's (passive as opposed to active). I have 4 ACG's and I know how underrated they are/were. The GMR is a real growler and I've fitted a 4 knob East Uni-pre preamp in that retains the passive in the original VVT with a passive/active pull switch/tone control that works in both active and passive modes. It is immensely playable with a great neck and fretwork and looks rather good in a Warwick sorta way.

Peter

I started on six string - and a very wide six string my TRB6 is! - and consequently am equally comfortable on 4/5/6 string bass. I don't play too much six string any more though.

I tend to take my 4-string Dingwall pair (Super J with rounds/Super P with flats) on gigs where there is some more modern music that would benefit from the low B (and where I can get away with the more modern look).

On gigs where a more classic look is appropriate, I take a 4-string pair: my Sadowsky J with rounds and a Fender P with flats.

Pretty lucky with the selection I have now!

After starting out on 4s (as I guess most people do) I moved fairly quickly to 5s and then used them exclusively for all the reasons already given and never had to worry about switching. Sadly, for my personal tastes, the one important thing that a 5 string Precision can't do as well as a 4 string Precision is look 'right', so when I wanted a Precision (and it had to be a 4) I resigned myself to a bit of re-thinking! I can now happily switch between 4s and 5s, and make a point of playing both as equally as possible to keep them fresh in my mind.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482833852' post='3202925']
I have sold all my 4 string basses and replaced them with the closest possible 5 string version of each, 4 feels wrong to me now, would someone with a 4 string keep gigging a bass with a missing string?
[/quote]

With this in mind, I'm obviously very happy with the Squier/Fender P string spacing, but what about the Stingray 5? Am I correct in thinking that the string spacing on that is far narrower than the Stingray 4? If so, is the spacing on a US Sub 5 any wider?

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1482952439' post='3203737']

With this in mind, I'm obviously very happy with the Squier/Fender P string spacing, but what about the Stingray 5? Am I correct in thinking that the string spacing on that is far narrower than the Stingray 4? If so, is the spacing on a US Sub 5 any wider?
[/quote]

99% of 4 strings (be it a Stingray or whatever) have a 19mm spacing at the bridge. Most Fender/Squier 5s (if not all?!) will also be 19mm. ALL Musicman 5 strings are 17.5mm spacing at the bridge, meaning they'll feel quite different.

Si

I played 4 strings for years, mainly because I couldn't find a 5 I felt comfortable with.

Then I found a Marleaux Consat Custom 5 and it became my main bass. Couple of years after that I found an unusually light Stingray 5 too.

I sold most of my 4s at that point but I still have an Urge2 and a fretless 4 Status, but I never take them out. I usually get piano scores and I never know when that B string is needed, so it has to come with me.

I'm now at the point where a 4 feels like there is something missing.

I'm really picky about bass weights as my back is knackered, and I've had multiple hernias, but I hope to find another light 5 that suits. Lots of 5 strings seem to have about 48mm nut widths which is too wide for me.

I will be keeping the Urge2 as it is the finest slap machine I've ever played, but the fretless might go.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1483005803' post='3204003']
I'm really picky about bass weights as my back is knackered, and I've had multiple hernias, but I hope to find another light 5 that suits. Lots of 5 strings seem to have about 48mm nut widths which is too wide for me.
[/quote]

It might be worth looking out for a GMR 5 (see GreeneKing's post above). Their BassForce is light, slim, and doesn't sound like it. The build quality is superb too. Hard to find though.

There's a good-looking GMR Flow-In 5 - much bigger and heavier - on eBay at the moment, wrongly described as a BassForce:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GMR-Custom-Bass-Force-V-Guitar-Rare-Only-One-like-That-Bartolini-Handmade-/262771383688?
(I have one of each, so I'm sure - and immune to GAS :) )

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1482838679' post='3202960']
Thanks for the post, Chris. I too am in the process of "making the change". I've a number of 4 strings that, for now at least, I don't really want to sell, but I've a couple of nice 5s. All seems to be going well. I'm sticking with a 5er for 90% of the time at least.

I'm interested in your comment about "doing it for the right reasons". What would the right reasons be?
What I mostly do is play from sight reading and occasionally there might be a low D or C, not often though. The reason I'm mostly doing it for is flexibility of places on the neck to be able to play without "excessive" movement of the fretting hand, but is this the right reason? Am I simply being lazy?
[/quote]

I switched to a 5 in a cover band I was in, the singer never sang anything in the original key and I found it easier to transpose. That was my reason at the time :gas:

[quote name='paulears' timestamp='1483042207' post='3204404']
I'm happy switching between my 5 strings, and my one 6 string, but going back to 4 is out - I've changed how I play so much that I use the B an awful lot now, higher up the neck. I make mistakes on my old 4 string.
[/quote]

I think this is the crux of it. Do you 'relearn' to play what you already know on a 5 (with a view to sticking to it) or do you just use the B when required so as not to screw up your 4 string playing.

I think the 'casual' 5 string player treats it like a 4 with just a few extra notes down low which you can use if you want to, but once you start to be a 5 string player as first choice, you lose the ability to easily switch back. The bass player in the show I'm currently running made the switch last year and we had some banter on how the 5 wasn't really much help in his kind of work, but this year I note he's on a different 5 string that's his No. 1 instrument now, and he's tweaking the dots he plays to make it work better. The score written for a 4 string so lots of downwards runs that end on perhaps a D, and the music is better for the C's to Eb's that are in it being played down low - and the PA here is substantial with subs, so the bass is a powerful feature. His scepticism has taken a year to go and now my suggestion he should revert being a 'traitor' to the 4 string annoys him (good).

Once you take that step to treat the extra string as a real part of the instrument, to keep good at the 4 string would take practice, so why bother?

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1482854961' post='3203081']
I'd be inclined to go fully to 5s D. I've had this problem over the years, could never mix the use of 4 and 5s, I'd be playing along quite happily on a 5 then I'd have a brain dump and wonder where I was.... In the end I stuck with 4s as I only very occasionally need anything lower than an E and I'm happy to detune for the odd song. Also I love my current 4s and wouldn't want to change em.
[/quote]

Well after a few weeks of concentrating on 5's, I think it was the right way to go Mart. Just feels instantly comfortable now 👍

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1483005803' post='3204003']
I played 4 strings for years, mainly because I couldn't find a 5 I felt comfortable with.

Then I found a Marleaux Consat Custom 5 and it became my main bass. Couple of years after that I found an unusually light Stingray 5 too.

I sold most of my 4s at that point but I still have an Urge2 and a fretless 4 Status, but I never take them out. I usually get piano scores and I never know when that B string is needed, so it has to come with me.

I'm now at the point where a 4 feels like there is something missing.

I will be keeping the Urge2 as it is the finest slap machine I've ever played, but the fretless might go.
[/quote]

I see some interesting directions when you get away from the 'stock' market. Lighter 5 strings made from selected woods, chambered, shorter scale too, 32 or 33". ACG are another route.
I'm lucky (thus far). Some of my basses are over 10lbs and I seem to manage.