Why become a member? ×

Check out Justin Bieber.

bubinga5

[center]MentalExtra said -[/center]
[center]So in another twenty years, when guys are asking questions about Biebers music, I will truthfully be able to say "You don't understand, you wasn't there man"[/center]

[center]* \ splutter! / *[/center]

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1483179188' post='3205193']
I've had to accompany my daughter to a couple of Biebers concerts. So in another twenty years, when guys are asking questions about Biebers music, I will truthfully be able to say "You don't understand, you wasn't there man" :D
[/quote]

You won't have to worry about saying that. Nobody will care or even remember Bieber.

Beiber is a teen idol. He is not a cultural phenomenon effecting or having an impact on politics, philosophy,fashion or music for the few hundred years.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483200399' post='3205387']

You won't have to worry about saying that. Nobody will care or even remember Bieber.

Beiber is a teen idol. He is not a cultural phenomenon effecting or having an impact on politics, philosophy,fashion or music for the few hundred years.

Blue
[/quote]
Ahhhhh forgive me blue. For I did not know you could see the future. I thought from your words that your eyes were fixed only on matters of the past.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1483209003' post='3205469']

Ahhhhh forgive me blue. For I did not know you could see the future. I thought from your words that your eyes were fixed only on matters of the past.
[/quote]

I don't consider The Beatles the past. They're the future.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483239342' post='3205627']
I don't consider The Beatles the past. They're the future.

Blue
[/quote]

Indeed. Bach and Vivaldi were important in their lifetimes, drifted into obscurity and were rediscovered much later. I confidently anticipate a serious Beatles revival in about 2085.

Looking at the number of bassists that enjoy playing Bach, myself included (if you can call it playing) his work is still relevant. That it has lasted this long suggests that people will still enjoy his marvellously interwoven phrases long after I've given up breathing.

I'd love to see Bach and Bieber in a pub brawl...

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1483241695' post='3205632']

Indeed. Bach and Vivaldi were important in their lifetimes, drifted into obscurity and were rediscovered much later. I confidently anticipate a serious Beatles revival in about 2085.
[/quote]

Skankdelvar, wouldn't you agree ,the only difference is The Beatles never really drifted into obscurity. McCartney is still selling out 45,000 seat venues.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483291734' post='3205967']
Skankdelvar, wouldn't you agree ,the only difference is The Beatles never really drifted into obscurity. McCartney is still selling out 45,000 seat venues.

Blue
[/quote]

That certainly holds true for the moment. But Macca and Ringo will probably hand in their lunch pails some time in the next ten to twenty years. There'll be a burst of interest and then the Beatles will go to the reservoir of forgotten artists there to languish in the shadows.

Fifty to one hundred years will elapse.

One day, a chap in a shiny silver suit and a Jetsons-type aerial sticking out of his grotesquely enlarged forehead will trip over some Beatles vinyl or some sheet music. He will eyeball this treasure trove '[i]like stout Cortez when with eagle eyes he star'd at the Pacific and all his men look'd at each other with a wild surmise, silent upon a peak in Darien'.[/i]

Hosanna!

Lennon and McCartney will suddenly be placed on pedestals alongside Duke Ellington and George Gershwin and Prokofiev as iconic 20th Century composers. Ensembles will be formed to play the music. In every legitimate [i]conservatoire[/i] arguments will flare up about 'period correct' instruments. Eminent professors will expiate upon the matter of flat-wounds.

This is what will happen. Because this is what happens :)
[color=#faebd7].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1483303269' post='3206096']

That certainly holds true for the moment. But Macca and Ringo will probably hand in their lunch pails some time in the next ten to twenty years. There'll be a burst of interest and then the Beatles will go to the reservoir of forgotten artists there to languish in the shadows.

Fifty to one hundred years will elapse.

One day, a chap in a shiny silver suit and a Jetsons-type aerial sticking out of his grotesquely enlarged forehead will trip over some Beatles vinyl or some sheet music. He will eyeball this treasure trove '[i]like stout Cortez when with eagle eyes he star'd at the Pacific and all his men look'd at each other with a wild surmise, silent upon a peak in Darien'.[/i]

Hosanna!

Lennon and McCartney will suddenly be placed on pedestals alongside Duke Ellington and George Gershwin and Prokofiev as iconic 20th Century composers. Ensembles will be formed to play the music. In every legitimate [i]conservatoire[/i] arguments will flare up about 'period correct' instruments. Eminent professors will expiate upon the matter of flat-wounds.

This is what will happen. Because this is what happens :)
[color=#faebd7].[/color]
[/quote]

I can't believe I'm still facinated with them after over 50 years. I'm always learning something new.

Allan Williams RIP.

Blue

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1482793604' post='3202800']
I'm going to risk what little cred I have by saying I quite like his most recent stuff.
[/quote]

I suppose it may be more acceptable for me to admit it too, being one of them-there pesky Millenials, but I agree.

I think he's transitioning well from being the teen heart-throb who only releases songs with very generic and accessible lyrics about making love, baby. That's much more of a marketing ploy to keep the emotional teen girls interested.

But after a troubled few years in his late teens, I think we're seeing a more mature side to him. I think in reality, he feels a great weight of expectation on him, and that must be difficult to cope with.

I think his newer stuff is more accessible for a wider audience, but I think most people still have the image of him as a polished teen wooing the youth of the world. As he grows as an artists and a performer, I think he'll become more accepted generally.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1483336300' post='3206260']

I think his newer stuff is more accessible for a wider audience, but I think most people still have the image of him as a polished teen wooing the youth of the world. As he grows as an artists and a performer, I think he'll become more accepted generally.
[/quote]

Historically "teen idols" don't grow as artists or performers nor become generally accepted.

The Beatles and Elvis have been referencd to debate my position.

I contend that neither Elvis or The Beatles were ever "teen idols".IMO Screaming female fans is not the only criteria for the "teen idol" label.

John Lennon was 24 years old in 1964. hardly a teen.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483337408' post='3206263']
Historically "teen idols" don't grow as artists or performers nor become generally accepted.

The Beatles and Elvis have been referencd to debate my position.

I contend that neither Elvis or The Beatles were ever "teen idols".IMO Screaming female fans is not the only criteria for the "teen idol" label.

John Lennon was 24 years old in 1964. hardly a teen.

Blue
[/quote]

Aha! Could it be that you define "teen idol" as being someone who is both a teenager and an idol where a lot of us define it as an artist idolised [i]by[/i] teens?

Britain and America. "Two nations divided by a common language." (quote origin disputed)

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1483346182' post='3206299']
Aha! Could it be that you define "teen idol" as being someone who is both a teenager and an idol where a lot of us define it as an artist idolised [i]by[/i] teens?
[/quote]

That's what I thought too. Ed Sheehan, for example.

I don't want to start a language war (again), but it also bugs me how "momentarily" in America means "in a moment", whereas we use it to mean "for a moment". So when the cabin crew on a transatlantic flight say "The flight will take off momentarily", half the passengers must be thinking "Surely it's going to take longer than a moment to cross the Atlantic?".

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1483346182' post='3206299']

Britain and America. "Two nations divided by a common language." (quote origin disputed)
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm thinking I do use that definition.

I also would add, the fan base is primarily teens. That may or may not have been the case for The Beatles.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483381994' post='3206728']
Yeah, I'm thinking I do use that definition.

I also would add, the fan base is primarily teens. That may or may not have been the case for The Beatles.

Blue
[/quote]

From recollection and contemporary accounts the Beatles' primary fanbase was - at first - teenagers of the female kind. As their popularity grew the Fabs' audience extended to include older people, charmed by that Liverpudlian insouciance and cheerful demeanour.

This popularity among adults receded somewhat when the Beatles became 'edgier' and were seen to embrace narcotics, bushy haircuts and progressive politics. For example, my father liked the Beatles until - the final straw - Lennon repainted his Rolls Royce in a flower-power stylee.

'That's just vandalism,' opined my Pa and scorned them from that day forward.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1483384373' post='3206755']
From recollection and contemporary accounts the Beatles' primary fanbase was - at first - teenagers of the female kind. As their popularity grew the Fabs' audience extended to include older people, charmed by that Liverpudlian insouciance and cheerful demeanour.

This popularity among adults receded somewhat when the Beatles became 'edgier' and were seen to embrace narcotics, bushy haircuts and progressive politics. For example, my father liked the Beatles until - the final straw - Lennon repainted his Rolls Royce in a flower-power stylee.

'That's just vandalism,' opined my Pa and scorned them from that day forward.
[/quote]

Not forgetting how those screaming teenage fans now examine every song with a microscope, looking for 'hidden meanings'