Why become a member? ×

Check out Justin Bieber.

bubinga5

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483034766' post='3204345']

There have always been young new teen idols. Some can make it big with little to no talent and some like The Beatles and The Everly Brothers that had so much talent you'd have a hard time quantifying it.

Why would anyone even mention Bieber and The Beatles or The Everly Brothers
in the same sentence?

Blue
[/quote]
Blue, you can be such an old fart sometimes. Justin beiber is not the Beatles. However that is not why you don't rate him. The reason you don't rate him is because you don't get him. He is very intelligent and talented and relevant to the youth of today. You had the Beatles (good for you) today's kids have Beiber. He is as awesome to them as the Beatles were to you. Now you can dismiss the above with all the "you had to be there's" your breath can muster but it doesn't matter anymore because theres a new kid in town and his name is beiber and you don't get him because your time has come and gone. Let it be my friend and don't be a hater. Let it Beiber.

Edited by the boy

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1483067711' post='3204542']
Let it Beiber.
[/quote]

Hahahahahahaha. Good one.

You are right however. Old farts like Blue, myself and possibly quite a number of members here just don't get him. What we get is the hype. Since the first days of radio and television, media has tried to channel the things that our youth are exposed to until that practice became unsustainable. Try and do that today and the Internet will rip the arse out of you. Now the media pushes stuff at you that has questionable relevance.

If news of your behaviour is bigger than the news of the music you are putting out there, this will always happen. Look how Pete Doh! has been hampered by news of his druggie behaviour for example. People my age see him as a druggie first and foremost and are not inclined to get in to the music that his hard line followers enjoy. I think Justin is seen to be a cuddly stuffed toy to most parents and they simply wish that their daughters would grow up and move on.

To put another spin on it; we can't hear the music for the pubescent screaming of little girls and boys who would accept being spat on by their idol as a sign of recognition. Now I think I've heard that somewhere before but being an old fart, I can't remember. Heeheehee.

PS: Justin Timberlake had that in spades but then he also had the dodgy Disney company to limit damage from the media.

Edited by SpondonBassed

I think his music is at best very average. Some of his new stuff is a bit better, but still not great.

What i do like about him though is that he has taken the teenage female audience (the same ones that part ways with their money to keep crap like X Factor going) and made millions from being their heartthrob. Kind of like Donny Osmond but a bit less weird.

As a result hes worth $200million at the age of 22. Not bad going for someone who is largely despised by the world.

Blue, you can be such an old fart sometimes. Justin beiber is not the Beatles. However that is not why you don't rate him. The reason you don't rate him is because you don't get him. He is very intelligent and talented and relevant to the youth of today. You had the Beatles (good for you) today's kids have Beiber. He is as awesome to them as the Beatles were to you. Now you can dismiss the above with all the "you had to be there's" your breath can muster but it doesn't matter anymore because theres a new kid in town and his name is beiber and you don't get him because your time has come and gone. Let it be my friend and don't be a hater. Let it Beiber.
[/quote]
Are you Justin Bieber's dad?

[/quote]

I get your point.

And now that I think about it Justin's song writing abilities are comparable to The Beatles.

It's really uncanny how his talent practically mirrors The Beatles.

I'm certain people will remember his talent and will be listening to his songs 50 years from now.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483096776' post='3204661']
I was pointing out that Mr Bieber was a little more talented than what's on the surface. Jeez. I'm not saying he's as good a Drummer as you Blue or any other of you great drummers out there. 😉
[/quote]

I don't play drums and I'm not great at anything.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483111045' post='3204818']
I get your point.

And now that I think about it Justin's song writing abilities are comparable to The Beatles. I'm certain people will remember his talent and will be listening to his songs 50 years from now.

Blue
[/quote]

Wink. Oh, and I spell checked that just to be on the safe side.

If Justin Bieber were the world's most successful and richest window cleaner, no-one would say anything. It's just that the critics seem to have a different opinion of what constitutes talent. Especially when it comes under the heading of music.

I certainly wouldn't criticize his talent for earning millions of dollars. It's only musos that slag him off and if he hadn't had put a certain amount of work in, he wouldn't be where he is. Just because he hasn't played 2,000 badly paid bar and pub gigs over 30 years and carried his bass rig 200 yards in the rain doesn't mean he's not good at what he does.

He's not for me but good luck to anyone that makes a success of their life.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1483113171' post='3204835']
If Justin Bieber were the world's most successful and richest window cleaner, no-one would say anything. It's just that the critics seem to have a different opinion of what constitutes talent. Especially when it comes under the heading of music.

I certainly wouldn't criticize his talent for earning millions of dollars. It's only musos that slag him off and if he hadn't had put a certain amount of work in, he wouldn't be where he is. Just because he hasn't played 2,000 badly paid bar and pub gigs over 30 years and carried his bass rig 200 yards in the rain doesn't mean he's not good at what he does.

He's not for me but good luck to anyone that makes a success of their life.
[/quote]

Talent for making money or talent for having management that knows how to make money, you won't get an argument from me there.

Blue

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1482964530' post='3203852']

The Beatles were teen idols that grumpy old men categorised as flash in the pan talentless mop top whatever's...... jus sayin :D
I think beibers got talent.
[/quote]

The Beatles were never teen idols. Not like a David Cassidy or Lief (I Was Made For Dancing) Garett.Not in the States. Not by my definition of Teen Idol.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483126425' post='3204939']

The Beatles were never teen idols. Not like a David Cassidy or Lief (I Was Made For Dancing) Garett.Not in the States. Not by my definition of Teen Idol.

Blue
[/quote]

So how old were all those girls collapsing in hysterics at the airport?

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1483127250' post='3204951']

So how old were all those girls collapsing in hysterics at the airport?
[/quote]

I get your point, but The Beatles matured and outgrew the teen idols label.

Most teen idols are done when they get older and are no longer cute. IMO and remember I said most.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1483126425' post='3204939']

Blue
[/quote]
Over here Blue they definitely were ...all screaming girls drowning out "music" that you may have wanted to hear.

But then all the sixties stars were teen idols......only teenagers bought that there new Rock and Roll music ....apparently ;)

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1483128386' post='3204961']
Over here Blue they definitely were ...all screaming girls drowning out "music" that you may have wanted to hear.

But then all the sixties stars were teen idols......only teenagers bought that there new Rock and Roll music ....apparently ;)
[/quote]

Looking at the footage of audiences in the USA on their first tour there I'd say they were teen idols there too tbh. Finally got round to seeing Ron Howard's film yesterday which reminded me all over again. Sigourney Weaver in the audience!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483096776' post='3204661']
I was pointing out that Mr Bieber was a little more talented than what's on the surface. Jeez. I'm not saying he's as good a Drummer as you Blue or any other of you great drummers out there. 😉
[/quote]

I could agree with that. He doesn't sound like some remarkable drum prodigy in the video, but he does sound like a musician. Given that most of his publicity in the last couple of years has been for his other antics, that could be easily overlooked.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483130063' post='3204980']
Blue, you are as great at your opinion, as I am posting soul and funk. Both subjectively great.

Bub.
[/quote]

Cool,

I'm completely aware that my argument is somewhat weak.

I have to stand my ground regardless.

Blue