Why become a member? ×

Rewire 4x10 Cabinet from 8Ohm to 2Ohm?

sebowden

Probably but your biggest problem is the tweeter/crossover which I know nothing about.

I think you have four 8ohm speakers in there and they will be wired in series/parallel that is two pairs of speakers wired in series and then the pairs wired in parallel. Simply wiring the four speakers in parallel will give you 2ohms.

The only problem will be the crossover, if it is a simple high pass filter it will still protect the horn, if it is a 'proper' crossover it will operate at the wrong frequency for the 2ohm bass units.That will change the sound of the cab. If you don't need the horn then you could just disconnect it and the crossover.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1482744437' post='3202429']
If you don't need the horn then you could just disconnect it and the crossover.
[/quote]

Sorry, forgot to mention - tweeter and crossover are disconnected. They sounded awful!

Will the cab lose any power at 2Ohms? Is there a foolproof guide for how to do this?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1482755906' post='3202525']
I would guess he is doing it because Ampeg don't recommend you use anything other than 4 or 2 ohm load and he doesn't want to buy another cab.
[/quote]

Correct. I'm saving for the 212AV though. Just need something for now.

Will it lose power?

Edited by sebowden

Your question is essentially meaningless. The cab doesn't have any power to gain or lose. Power comes from the amplifier.

The 410TX is rated by Peavey as 350W RMS and this won't change whether it is wired at 8 ohms or 2 ohms. These are very substantial and tough cabs (I had one for a while), but it's not possible to say whether an SVT-VR will damage it or not.

If you decide to go ahead, once you've rewired it, start at low volume, listen carefully and turn it down if it sounds distorted. There's a wiring schematic here, second diagram down http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/4x12wiring.html.

They're also pretty cheap second hand - the safest route is to buy another one and use them both to give you a 4 ohm load. That'll probably sound a lot better than a 2x12 too, though slightly less portable.

Thanks for the help man!

This diagram correct?
[url="http://s711.photobucket.com/user/tubetime86/media/parallel.jpg.html"]http://s711.photobuc...rallel.jpg.html[/url]

Re. the 2x12 - it actually looks to be a perfect cab for my needs. Not a huge fan of the peavey's sound, but it has served me very well.

Edited by sebowden

Diagram looks about right. Make a note of the original wiring - you'll need to put it back if you want to sell it, there's not much of a market for 2Ohm cabs.

Think I'd want to hear that cabinet before deciding whether it was perfect or not. There are plenty of other good 2x12s, some of which occasionally come up for sale in the forums here.

Edited by pete.young

Just plugged the SVT in for the first time. WOW. Cab works a charm, too. No distorting, but only got the volume to 9 O'clock so will see how it sounds at rehearsal tomorrow.

Thanks for your help. Best birthday ever!

I would obviously try the cab first! I'm usually a 15 inch cab guy - the 2x12 is like a middle ground to my ears, but only heard youtube demos.

Glad to see a happy ending. The power handling will not be affected as all the speakers are still sharing the power equally. As you are now working through a two ohm cab it will be worth using a high grade Jack lead to connect the cab to the amp. Operating into two ohms means you need higher current handling. Jack plugs will struggle with two ohms and if you can adapt the cab to use speakons then that would be worth doing for long term reliability.

[quote name='sebowden' timestamp='1482979974' post='3203903']
I've been using a rock-wire cable, but its only 2.5mm.... I'll upgrade at some point
[/quote]

That should be plenty with a short cable, 1800W into 2 ohms. The limiting factor is more likely to be your plugs if they are jacks.