Why become a member? ×

Award Sessionette

Mykesbass

• 2 weeks later...

I had the retro-tone upgrade done on mine. This makes it articulate a lot more like a valve amp and gives a richer low end. My guitarist uses it on the clean channel with a clean ac30 model(Pod) and small amount of compression. Sounds lovely with a telecaster.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1483873894' post='3210701']
I had the retro-tone upgrade done on mine. This makes it articulate a lot more like a valve amp and gives a richer low end. My guitarist uses it on the clean channel with a clean ac30 model(Pod) and small amount of compression. Sounds lovely with a telecaster.
[/quote]
May consider this down the line. Sounds pretty lush to my ears without the upgrade of about one and a half times the cost of the amp 😲

Sounds like you scored one for a very good price then! I thought people were getting wise to what good amps these are, and keeping the prices buoyant. They are pretty well made, eminently serviceable, and you can still send them to the chap who designed them for their 30+ year service!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1483898325' post='3210959']
Sounds like you scored one for a very good price then!
[/quote]
Auction finished at 6 pm on Christmas day - that may have had some influence on the price!! It is also one of the 210 models, less common than the 112. A very happy man :)

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1492610441' post='3281612']
Not sure where you are in West Sussex but Stewart Ward (Mr Session) is in Basingstoke so not the longest drive.

He will (as stated) give you excellent service [b]but DO NOT ask him about valves - even as a joke!![/b]
[/quote]

:lol:

he's not wrong! :P

Let me know and I'll bring a chair and some popcorn. Stewart is very passionate about the unreliability etc of valves. They are the work of Beezlebub in his eyes and will gladly tell you why, at length!

He's a lovely guy and super helpful but be warned, he's very evangelical.

• Like 1

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1492683790' post='3282249']
Let me know and I'll bring a chair and some popcorn. Stewart is very passionate about the unreliability etc of valves. They are the work of Beezlebub in his eyes and will gladly tell you why, at length!

He's a lovely guy and super helpful but be warned, he's very evangelical.
[/quote]

What Steve said.

I like Stewart a lot. He's a very 'no-bs' kind of guy and he has some strong opinions which sometimes rub some people the wrong way. He moved away from valves at a time where solid state guitar amps were not considered to be 'proper' amps. I've heard some of his amps, and they sound pretty good (as well as being loud as hell)... We only met twice or maybe three times, and he still adds a little note when I've ordered a cable from his website :)

I think Beer of the Bass would enjoy chatting with him.

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1492610441' post='3281612']
Not sure where you are in West Sussex but Stewart Ward (Mr Session) is in Basingstoke so not the longest drive.

He will (as stated) give you excellent service but DO NOT ask him about valves - even as a joke!!
[/quote]

I'm at the most easterly point of West Sussex!!

The amp sounds fantastic. Not really interested in the upgrade at the moment, a footswitch is the next step. And yes, love his whole attitude on the website regarding valves.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1495008852' post='3300315']
This is the amp that persuaded me that guitarists didn't need valves, although it's still a minority opinion.
[/quote]

It is quite a convincing argument. I'd happily gig it, and it sounds a lot better than the Blackstar in our local rehearsal room. Not sure what it would be like for high gain overdrive, but for crunchy blues/classic rock it is perfect.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1495008852' post='3300315']
This is the amp that persuaded me that guitarists didn't need valves, although it's still a minority opinion.
[/quote]

Yes, I remember finding the old Sessionette in one rehearsal room we used to use to be pretty good sounding, and there are some valve combos that I like less. I think solid state guitar amps have trouble finding their niche in the market - there are lots of entry level combos that aren't all that inspiring, a few high-end modelling rigs and not too much choice in mid priced gear. I think that may be starting to change though.
I'm still quite attached to valve amps myself, but in all honesty that may be because it's a technology which is quite approachable to the amateur tinkerer. I mean, if you were to build the most basic version of a valve amp taken straight from the old RCA or Mullard application notes it'll sound good as a guitar amp, while getting the same behaviour from a solid state amp takes some real design skill.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1495141738' post='3301662']
I think solid state guitar amps have trouble finding their niche in the market - there are lots of entry level combos that aren't all that inspiring, a few high-end modelling rigs and not too much choice in mid priced gear.
[/quote]

Only one that I am aware of is the Orange Crush Pro - young guitarist in my band has one and it sounds really nice. Also impressed by the Youtube demo by GAK. Yet to be convinced by a modelling amp.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1483891709' post='3210896']
May consider this down the line. Sounds pretty lush to my ears without the upgrade of about one and a half times the cost of the amp ��
[/quote]
Get them to mod for saturated harmonics. I've been looking for the best alternative to a Rivera era Super Champ and a Super Champ owner suggested one of these after a bit of modification.