Why become a member? ×

'Surf Monster' Ventures/Shadows pastiche

JapanAxe

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][color=#414141][size=4]I recently sold my venerable Akai DPS16 stand-alone DAW on this very forum, in favour of [/size][/color][url="http://www.reaper.fm/"]Reaper[/url][color=#414141][size=4] recording software. In the process of transferring over the digital audio files that I wanted to save, I found a short instrumental track that I recorded on a Roland VS840 in the early 2000's. The guitar parts were originally put down using the VS840's own amp sims and effects, and sounded somewhat thin; the organ and bass parts were created with a GR30 guitar synth (long gone); and the drum parts came from Alesis SR16 presets.[/size][/color]

[color=#414141][size=4]As a way of learning Reaper, I set about re-recording all the parts as follows. Everything except the drums went through a Roland Quad Capture interface. I realise the bass is low in the mix, but this is very much guitar-driven music.[/size][/color]

[color=#414141][size=4]Drums - MT Power Drum Kit plug-in - amazing value as it is a free download, dead easy to drag and drop patterns into a MIDI track and edit them to taste. If you don't like their kit, you can output the MIDI notes to another module.[/size][/color]
[color=#414141][size=4]Bass - Fender Mustang bass > Cali76 compressor > Markbass 801 combo > DI out[/size][/color]
[color=#414141][size=4]Guitar 1 - Gretsch Duo Jet > Cali76 > Deluxe Memory Man > Swart STR > DI via Behringer GI100[/size][/color]
[color=#414141][size=4]Guitar 2 - Strat via same route[/size][/color]
[color=#414141][size=4]Organ - Korg X50 'Dirty BX3'[/size][/color]

[color=#414141][size=4]Here is [/size][/color][url="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32485154/Surf%20Monster.mp3"]Surf Monster[/url][/font]