Why become a member? ×

Rick Parfitt :-(

Bikenbass

I could make a very long list of albums which were "game changers" for me, starting with Revolver and coming all the way to Graceland, but in truth the one that had the biggest impact on me was probably Piledriver.

I saw the Quo regularly from 1974 until the original line-up reformations of the last few years.

I can't think of many 2016 casualties I will miss more.

Thanks Rick.

Edited by Happy Jack

The only song I really liked was Pictures of Matchstick Men. Never really a big fan, but you have to marvel at their longevity as a band, and a great legacy and inspiration to many people. It is always a shame to lose someone, but this close to Christmas must be particularly painful for the family,and his legion of fans

I was never a huge fan tbh, but Quo were the first "big" band I ever saw, with a bunch of my longhair school mates, at Wembley in 1980-ish.

Also - and probably more importantly - stuff like Down Down & Paper Plane were the first songs I ever played outside of my bedroom, when I started jamming with other musicians.

Sad day. RIP.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1482603984' post='3201840']
2016 is just taking the piss now. 😡
F**k this f**king sh*t year. Relentless attrition from one f***ing end to the other.
Sorry about the swearing. I'm upset and angry because bits of my youth keep dying.
[/quote]

+1

sad news.. :-(

RIP

There have been too many to mention this year but by far the most upsetting have been Lemmy this time last year and Rick Parfitt today.

The man was a machine. Anyone who can play strings as heavy as the ones he used and mainly downstrokes on the plectrum is awesome to begin with. As soon as I heard today, I posted a video of Big Fat Mama on Facebook which is one of my favourites.

Saw Quo a few days ago and although the guy who replaced Rick was pretty good, he wasn't Rick and even Rhino had to step up to take care of Rick's vocals

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1482603984' post='3201840']
2016 is just taking the piss now.
F**k this f**king sh*t year. Relentless attrition from one f***ing end to the other.
Sorry about the swearing. I'm upset and angry because bits of my youth keep dying.
[/quote]

First band I ever saw live in 1979 when I was in my teens. Obsessive fan during those formative years and Rick was such an inspiration. Saw them a few times up until the line up change then moved on but always had a real soft spot for early Quo (Ma Kelly, Dog of 2 Head, Piledriver, Hello, Quo, On the Level, Blue for You, Live). Really sad news.