Why become a member? ×

Thomastik-Infeld Flat Wound Bass Strings

PGTips

[attachment=234498:Thomastik_JF346_Jazz_Flatwound_Long-Scale_6-string.jpg]

I bought these strings in October this year, as the cost and frequency of changing quality bass strings (Warwick EMP's) was getting a bit much. I had previously tried Overwater flatwound strings, but just didn't like the sound - too dull. The Thomastik-Infeld Flat Wounds weren't cheap though at about £66, but they had great reviews and shouldn't need changed very often (if ever!).

They are fantastic strings. They feel really smooth to touch, and ooze quality. They sound a lot brighter than other flatwounds I have heard/played. Also, there is a lot less tension in the strings (compared to the Overwater flats, and Warwick EMP's) and they are very easy/comfortable to play. I've played them every day since I fitted them 2 months ago and they still sound fantastic.

One review that put me off initially said that as the low 'B' was .136, you might have to modify your bass to get it to fit! This was not the case. I have a Warwick Corvette $$, and Warwick's own brand low 'B' is .135, so not much difference. Anyway, fitted perfectly without any modification. The high 'C' is .029, and sounds/feels really good. I've previously found the high 'C' can sound a bit 'thin' with some makes of strings, but not these....

Great strings - Highly recommended.

[url="http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/family-detail/jazz%20flat%20wound"]http://www.thomastik...%20flat%20wound[/url]

Edited by PGTips

Yes, I agree. (although I only have mine on a 4 string, not on a 5'er). I had tried several types of flatwound before, and I'd read a lot of posts on here, from BC'ers who swear by them - plus one or two players who don't like the low tension nature of these strings...

I picked mine up, used, from the marketplace on here. The seller said they hadn't had much use, and the silks looked in good condition, so I believe that to be true. I thought immediately that they were quite bright and zingy, compared to the Steve Harris Roto flats that were previously on my fretless bass. Love the low tension, though as others have mentioned in other threads, the tension of these strings is markedly lower than many other flats.

It's an odd thing, but every other brand of flatwound I've ever tried has been really high tension, and I say this being a Double Bass player, who is used to playing more types of flatwound on DB. But the very low tension of these TI's seem to lend themselves to that lovely "mwah" sound / vibe you can get with fretless - perhaps it's just because they're easier to bend?

I've not tried them on a fretted bass yet - I've stuck to roundwounds on my fretted basses.... must try it one day though, but I just don't want to take the TI's off my fretless. To anyone struggling with the higher tension of flats, I'd recommend these strings. They are pricey, but I couldn't go back now....

• 5 years later...
On 22/12/2016 at 14:21, PGTips said:

[attachment=234498:Thomastik_JF346_Jazz_Flatwound_Long-Scale_6-string.jpg]

I bought these strings in October this year (2016), as the cost and frequency of changing quality bass strings (Warwick EMP's) was getting a bit much. I had previously tried Overwater flatwound strings, but just didn't like the sound - too dull. The Thomastik-Infeld Flat Wounds weren't cheap though at about £66, but they had great reviews and shouldn't need changed very often (if ever!).......

I can't believe it's been all these years since I posted this review.... Anyway, thought I'd share an update;

I'm still playing the same set of strings, and they still sound fantastic. I've also saved a fortune not having to replace strings approximately every 3 months. I would definitely recommend these strings.

Edited by PGTips
Date added
  • Like 4

As fitted to all but one of my far too many basses. Longest life so far, 11 years on a regularly used bass :). Long way to go to match the Rotosound trubass strings that did 40+ years on my Eko acoustic bass bought in 1980.

Edited by 3below
  • Like 1