Why become a member? ×

Uptown Funk, Jamie Cullum cover, wow.

Paul S

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1482421275' post='3200446']
I like the ethos, learning a song quick and then recording it, but this jazzed-up version just isn't to my taste.
[/quote]

Pretty much this...Uptown Funk with the funk removed.

Its well played, but I dont see the point. It juts misses the whole point of uptown funk. ie that it is funk.
Any well drilled function band with a horn section will do it far better, and is something great to play in when everyone knows all the little riffs etc that are there.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1482501615' post='3201111']
Its well played, but I dont see the point. It juts misses the whole point of uptown funk. ie that it is funk.
Any well drilled function band with a horn section will do it far better, and is something great to play in when everyone knows all the little riffs etc that are there.
[/quote]

All very much true IME - I'm waiting for another one in this series: the punk version of Take Five, when the band shift it to 4/4 and get rid of all that jazzy hoohah... :D

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1482502845' post='3201120']

All very much true IME - I'm waiting for another one in this series: the punk version of Take Five, when the band shift it to 4/4 and get rid of all that jazzy hoohah... :D
[/quote]

No need to go to 4/4 when 5/4 is so straightforward...

http://youtu.be/RK_j2LE07G0

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1482572248' post='3201484']
An improvement, but only because the original's a candidate for most over-rated song of the 21st century.
[/quote]

Each to his own - I had it down as one of the best songs Prince never wrote. I liked it so much I bought the download, but I have to admit my listening pleasure has diminished somewhat with playing it so many times on gigs! (Likewise Dakota, Sex On Fire, Valerie, Mr Brightside...)

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1482421275' post='3200446']
I like the ethos, learning a song quick and then recording it, but this jazzed-up version just isn't to my taste.
[/quote]

I don't think it's about taste. I'm not sure it's mine. However, my taste is seeing how these talented pros can get together and simply make their ideas work.

Lots of high end talent and ability in this clip.

Everything is not about what we personally like. And whether I like it or not, I'm in no position to be critical of those whose talent and ability exceeds mine by light years.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482777018' post='3202683']
Everything is not about what we personally like. And whether I like it or not, I'm in no position to be critical of those whose talent and ability exceeds mine by light years.

[/quote]

I didn't criticise anyone.

If I say I don't like something I'm not that saying I don't appreciate it or the effort that's gone into it. I don't care for ballet in the slightest, but I don't deny the supreme ability of the performers nor the skill and creativity involved in the creation and execution of a performance.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1482964901' post='3203855']

I didn't criticise anyone.

If I say I don't like something I'm not that saying I don't appreciate it or the effort that's gone into it. I don't care for ballet in the slightest, but I don't deny the supreme ability of the performers nor the skill and creativity involved in the creation and execution of a performance.
[/quote]

If you don't dig it why comment at all?

Blue