Why become a member? ×

3-pickup basses

EliasMooseblaster

I posted early in this thread about the delights of my 3-pup Fender Rascal with 5-way selector switch (plus extra positions via push-pull volume pot).  Although I wasn't keen on the weight and body shape, I was (and still am) so impressed with the sounds and controls that the Rascal has since morphed in to this (thanks to Andy Jr):

http://nFD1Qwul.jpg

This is by far the best bass I've ever owned or played.

Edited by scrumpymike

50 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Pickups as close together as you can get 'em award.

It's a great design IMHO - close enough to a 70s J plus a Stingray. Not sure how the switching is set up but I'd like to be able to flick between pure jazz pickups or solo MM pickup with a single switch. I'd rather something like this than the typical compromise you get with a MM pickup to close to the bridge so that it sounds like neither Jazz nor Ray!

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

That bass is awesome. Unique headstock - love it

Agreed - designing an 'alternative' headstock is a tricky business.  It's really neat the way the 2 pairs of pegs kind of run parallel to each other and at an offset angle from the neck.

This topic has made me realise just how much I love my re-bodied Rascal. The '3 x pups + 5-pos slider + push/pull pot' set-up is so versatile.  So quick and easy to select from 7 distinctly different and really usable sounds on the fly.  When I had my active Maruszczyk Elwood made I thought about speccing the same configuration.  Wish I had now - I'd have an active and a passive version.

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

This topic has made me realise just how much I love my re-bodied Rascal.

Love to see the re-bodied version (the elongated body is the one thing that puts me off the Rascal), can you post a pic?

3 hours ago, ikay said:

Ah yes, duh!

Getting rid of all that excess body south of the bridge was a real game-changer.  Before I decided to mod mine, I had it up for sale.  The couple of people who tried it loved everything about it except that the bridge was positioned where their playing hand would normally be.  That wasn't a problem for me but a lot of bassists play with their hand bent further backwards towards the elbow.