Why become a member? ×

3-pickup basses

EliasMooseblaster

Just a thought that occurred to me: why did three-pickup basses not catch on more widely? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the simplicity of a Precision as much as the next man, but after looking at the pickup configurations on my two P/J basses, I looked at the gap between the front pickup and the neck and thought, "you could squeeze another one in there..."

The Burns Marquee and Fender VI are suitable evidence that the idea was tried in the instrument's relative infancy, and Stu Hamm's Edge basses are an example of it in a more 'boutique' setting. And of course, your guitarist will probably have a Strat or similar in his/her collection. I just wonder why more manufacturers haven't tried it.

Quite a few of the Burns basses hav three pups, including the Bison does aswell. Also the Godin Shifter (oh you beat me too it)

I don't know but would guess that most designs work well with either 1 or two pups so a 3rd isn't thought worthwhile and that the makers who do use 3 also make lead guitars so have transferred that experience over to basses.

Edited by Pinball

Every bass is costed down to the last screw so more pickups equals more expense. Do you actually get a better sound with three pickups? Actually you don't need more pickups to get a better sound. A better or active EQ will do that.

Plus if enough people show an interest it will be done. Until the interest is in the hundreds it won't get done.

There was a 3 pickup Danelectro Hodad and of course the Gibson G-3 (original and modern "tribute"). The Hodad had full 7 options via a 6 way rotary and a switch. The Gibson offerings only give three options (1+2, 1+2+3, 2+3) so acted more like a two pickup bass with the pickup coils far apart.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1482361779' post='3199992']
Every bass is costed down to the last screw so more pickups equals more expense. Do you actually get a better sound with three pickups? Actually you don't need more pickups to get a better sound. A better or active EQ will do that.

Plus if enough people show an interest it will be done. Until the interest is in the hundreds it won't get done.
[/quote]

This is probably where I got my thinking a bit back-to-front - I was thinking about the tonal variations afforded by a Strat, and how many bassists like to "sculpt" their tone, but then of course a decent active EQ could achieve the same breadth of results and a lot more in-between! (Can you tell I only own passive basses?)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1482423874' post='3200484']

This is probably where I got my thinking a bit back-to-front - I was thinking about the tonal variations afforded by a Strat, and how many bassists like to "sculpt" their tone, but then of course a decent active EQ could achieve the same breadth of results and a lot more in-between! (Can you tell I only own passive basses?)
[/quote]

It's also about harmonic content as well.. pickup location is the main factor here..

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1482423874' post='3200484']

[/quote]

It's also about harmonic content as well.. pickup location is the main factor here..

[URL=http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/zedsled/media/EBMM%2025th%20Anniversary/EBMM25TH044_zps8d7e8a51.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b560/zedsled/EBMM%2025th%20Anniversary/EBMM25TH044_zps8d7e8a51.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Tweedledum' timestamp='1482476814' post='3200828']
:D True.

OK, back to three pickups.

The Fender Rascal comes to mind:

[/quote]

That's the badger! When I first posted this thread I could have sworn I'd seen something that essentially resembled a Strat bass - thought I'd imagined it, or it had been a dubious conversion job.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1482494179' post='3201010']
A few exotic manufacturers spring to mind:
Basslab
[/quote]
Now that second bass (red one) chimes with what I was thinking of...basically I was wondering if you could set one up to blend 1 & 3 to get an EB-3 type tone, 1+2 to get a faintly Rick-esque sound, and 2+3 for a Jazz-type tone.

Probably wishful thinking, as all three of those examples have completely different pickup impedances. But I don't doubt it would be fun to play around with!